The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlin Guitars ?
Billy Poteet

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 11:12 am    

Anyone know much about the Marlin. I went out
on Ricky's Web site to look at the wood guitars and that Marlin really knocked me out. How good are they?

Billy P.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 1:43 pm    

Hey Billy; Marlen is spelled with a "e"...ha..
Yes indeed they are a fine guitar. The inventor of the Marlen was Leonard Stadler and he recently passed away "God rest his soul"...and was a stickler for details in sound and look and perfection.
I've had in my possession 4 Marlen's through the years and they are a Fine sounding playing pedal steel.
Did you come across one your interested in???
If so..I can set it up and tweek it out for ya....and I live here in Austin.
Ricky

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 5:55 pm    

Marlen, as in MARvin Hudson and LEN Stadler, I believe.

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 8:57 pm    

Hi Billy,

I am very proud to say the Marlen shown on Ricky's web page under Miscellaneous Beauties is mine. Thanks Ricky! I am very proud of it and I would not ever consider parting with it! This is one of the last Marlen guitars built. This was built by my good friend Mike Callaway in Salem Virginia and it plays smooth as silk and sounds great. I cannot say enough good things about Marlen guitars and Leonard Stadler. I will admit I am somewhat biased, Leonard was my mentor and very dear friend for over 30 years. I can say without question he was the finest man I have ever known. The Marlen is a great guitar and I could not be more pleased with mine. If I can help please give me a call. I know Mike would be happy to help answer any questions as well.

All The Best,

Jerry Fleming

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 9:11 pm    

Has anyone continued the Marlen company after
Mr. Stadler?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 10:07 pm    

Years ago I made several trips down to the Emmons factory from my home in Va. Each time I stopped in Reidsville to visit Stadler Music. The fellow building the Marlen guitars then (I believe his name was Bobby Morris) was always so nice and took time to show me things about the Marlen. Does anybody know anything about him?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 1:15 am    

Yes Jerry you should be proud of this baby...and I know Leonard is very Proud of You my friend.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 4:17 am    

Hey Billy,
I ran into a steel player at a couple of shows in the Carolinas by the name of Joe Turner. Joe plays and extended E9 single 12 Marlen and does it about as good as anyone out there. He uses 5 floor pedals and either 4 or 5 knee levers. His Marlen has LED markers on the fretboard and is pretty cool the way it lights up. I'd heard Joe in Wilson, NC and thought he was great but I really got to hear him in Saluda, SC on the Saturday night jam with some of the heavyweights and he was right up there with those boys and outshined 'em on some things. Keep your eyes open for this guy, one of the up and coming steel guitar stars. Joe Turner from North Carolina. And he plays a MARLEN..........JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 2:48 pm    

Now that Mr. Stadler is gone, will the Marlen guitars cease to be maunfactured? Jerry's guitar looks gorgeous, and it'd be nice to see more of these in circulation. It reminds me of the old Sho-Bud Pro series.

Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 4:25 pm    

I played a Marlen for twenty seven years..it was black with a western scene painted all they across the front..painted by Wayne Jarrett..the same guy who painted all of Alabama's equipment in the 70's and 80's...if you ever see it give it a "pat" for me...now that Leonard is gone I wish I had it back.......tom

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 4:40 pm    

I have a Marlen T-10 that I started to rebuild years ago, before I got distracted. The photo above is very motivating.

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 4:31 am    

Folks Jerry Flemming and Mike Callaway are both accomplished pedal steel guitarists. These guitars have a tone to die for. Jerry, please correct me if I am wrong but didn't "you" finish this guitar yourself??? As a woodworker I can say that this guitar is very well built and the artists' understood the importance of tonal qualities and craftmanship working together to achieve the ultimate in performance. Joe Turner??? Well Joe knows...let's just say that. Another Marlen player is Arnet Mills out of Virginia. He brings out the best in his Marlen.

Ray Walker

[This message was edited by Ray Walker on 20 January 2003 at 04:33 AM.]

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 9:44 am    

Hi Ray,

I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I finished this guitar myself and Mike did a wonderful job putting it together for me. I left that out because I did not want to come across as bragging. The cabinet was built by Clyde Burrel in Appomatox Virginia. Ken Latchum was kind enough to hand carry the cabinet to me from Clyde's shop to the Fayettevile Jam. I cannot tell you how much this guitar means to me. Every time I look at it or play it I think of Leonard. His legacy will live on and he will live in our hearts forever. I sure do miss him and I know he is listening above.

You are so right! Ken, Mike, Joe & Arnett. I am very blessed to call them all dear friends.

All The Best,

Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Fleming on 20 January 2003 at 10:06 AM.]

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 7:07 pm    

That is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen! --JR

Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2003 8:50 am    

I have on ole Marlen S12 that was my first, after haveing many homebuilt, really manufactured for me, in 1971! It was and still is a great guitar, now if i can just get somebody, really trustworthy to rebuild it-------- i may get to play it again! Ole Dave Frye

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2003 5:04 pm    

Bill Poteet asked about a MARLIN and everybody followed with MARLEN. While MARLEN is a viable brand, I also have a MARLIN double pick-up 6 string lap steel made in Japan. Am I the only lucky one????