The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Guitar ?
Billy Poteet

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 7:21 am    

Ive got about a 3 year old Emmons LegrandeII
that uses the half moon type clips on the rods. Those things are really hard to get back on when you do a rod change. If they aren't in all the way then they fall off and they are harder than hell to find. You would think that Emmons would come up with something better than this. Have any of you had to change these clips if so what are your ideas to get rid of this problem. I tried emailing Emmons but no answer.

Billy

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 7:34 am    

Billy, I agree with you there and there is a better way.....I bought some springs from Bobbe Seymour that will hold the pedal rod on just fine....looks like a Carburator Linkage Spring, but it does the job. I use them when ever I make a change on my LeGrande III....give Bobbe a call.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 9:57 am    

Roger is absolutely correct.

Back when I was an eletronics' tech for RCA, a number of "C" clips were used on tuner shafts and various pots, etc. They were then; and are NOW, a pain. I mean a real pain.

The ones used on the LeGrande's are NOT "C" clips. They are "E" Clips. Their shape and style is different. And they do serve a purpose, which the C clip can't. And that is, they help diminish torsional movement.

This is an advantage when adjusting the nylon tuners in that they help prevent "backlash" while adjusting. IE, the rod turning slightly in either direction.

The "hairpin" springs (which I assume Bobbe Seymour sells), are much easier to use. If I am not mistaken, I believe Mullen uses these also, along with at least one other manufacturer. But they do not stop the problem mentioned above about torsional movement of the pulling rod.

Admittedly, this is a minor consideration when one considers the fact that the "E" clips are a real bear to get on and off, I would say 'tis probably best to replace them with something else.

From my years of talks with the late Ron Lashley, I KNOW in my heart, he had a REASON for using the E clips. This man's mind was like NO one I have ever met. He always thought about things the rest of us only learn from trial and error. So I am positive the E clip idea was not frivolous or off the top of his head. Sadly, we may never knmow the validity of that.

Finally, while still at RCA, Centralabs (I believe it was), came out with a tool for installing and removing "C" clips. And the tool worked like a charm. Whether or not there is a tool for the "E" clip, I have not a clue. But it might be worth exploring.

Good luck,

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 23 January 2003 at 10:03 AM.]

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 11:11 am    

right you are Carl,about Ron Sr...& the E clip.It also allows for a lower profile where the pull rod comes thru the crank, allowing for more correct alignment of passing rods. The tool is called a "Ring Spreader" & i buy mine from the local "Snap-On" route driver. You cant get too far on a LeGrande or a p/p without one.....

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 12:05 pm    

Mike,

You just taught me something. I have used "ring spreader" tools for years. Even have one in my auto tool box. I never once even considered it for an E clip. Since the ring spreader was designed to fit into the two little holes in the "ring" type clips.

But as I thought about what you said, "why not?"

Bless you friend, and all the rest of you folks,

carl

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 2:57 pm    

I use a long nose vise grips. You lock onto the E clip when you take it off and leave the clip in the jaws and after you put it back in place, just unlock the jaws. That's what pack-a-seats are for! To carry your tools around.
Uff-Da!