The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  two Universals anyone ?
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 11:21 am    

I keep thinking about getting a 2nd PSG. I already have a U12, and I was wondering how many 'home' players have 2 U12's (not counting the pro's who have one set-up for practice and one in the case for gigging - I can understand that).
Do you play them both or does one of them sit there gathering dust for months ?
Do you have them setup different ways so as to try out copedant changes ?
Do you think you'd really be better off just having the one so that you wouldnt get distracted ?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 11:31 am    

I got a second guitar this summer. Although I love the idea of an always setup around the house guitar I actually got this because I needed to experience a U-12 p/p Emmons. But my personal reality---I would never suggest that this applies to anyone else---is that at this stage of my learning/progress curve I just don't need the distraction of a different feeling, different sounding guitar (jumping back and forth, A/B-ing them, etc.) Plus, as personal and quirky as my U-12 variant is, it is impossible to duplicate on the Emmons. If I were to choose to alternate between two guitars I would have the same setups on them. I just don't need to be diffusing my concentration right now. Down the road, I dunno. Might be a different story.

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 12:17 pm    

Mick, Every U-12 player should have atleast one Excel Superb with 9+9. Ha Ha

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 2:19 pm    

I stick to just one guitar. I actually sold my old U12 when I noticed that I got distracted when I tried to use two different guitars.
But that´s me - other people might find that they develope their skills when they play different guitars.

Colin Goss

St.Brelade, Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 2:10 am    

When I bought a new Carter U12 I kept my old EMCI U12 and it is set up with a practice amp in my snug so I can jump on it whenever I feel the urge. It saves having to set up the Carter. Yes I am being lazy, but it's worth it

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 2:10 am    

I have one U-12 but am looking for a backup/dirty-gig instrument..... I'll have them both set up the same way.

------------------
Thanks Sveinung Lilleheier
----------------
Kentucky Riders

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 6:32 am    

I only play 12-string guitars. I had three, but just sold my Mullen since Jerry Fessenden is starting on my new guitar soon -- then I'll be back up to three.

I love the sound of a push-pull, so I will always keep 'The Beast', my Emmons S-12U, but I also like being able to load up the newer guitars and tune splits accurately.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 9:42 am    

It's nice to have a few steels around.
I gig with a Sierra but have an Emmons S12U 7x4 set up and plugged in at all times, as well as a Sho-Bud S10 3x2 B6th.
I've been playing the S10 Bud alot lately and it definatly causes me to miss a grip here and there when switching back to S12, but after about 20 minutes all is re-normalized.
All 3 steels have similar but different setups.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 5:44 pm    

I have a Sierra and an Excel - both keyless 12-strings.I got my Sierra new and had my copedant set up at the factory w/8+8. My Excel I got new also and for a great price I might add,but it came with a fairly different knee lever set-up and 8+6.I switched it around to get as close to my Sierra as possible till I get the extra parts from Japan to get it up to 8+8. My original thought was to have two different brands' version of the same instrument w/identical set-up and have both sound great but with seperate distinctive voices. I think I've achieved that but right now the Excel is knockin me out and I'm using it all the time. Some guys like Earnest Bovine have several 12 strings - each w/a slightly different set-up but that would drive me crazy. -MJ-

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 7:00 pm    

Not me. I have a Zum S12U. The search is over!

I do have some guilt about the 4 electric guitars I now have. I sure don't have time to pay attention to all of 'em. That's my little weakness, I guess. They do have different personalities and voices. Must be the same for PSGs. It is a hassle to alternate between different sets of controls and tone settings. I can imagine what one goes thru with different pedal steels with different setups. I'll never attempt it unless I'm playing several nights a week and find it convenient to keep a "gig axe" and a "practice axe." (Am I right Herb?) One on the bus and one at home--! I got too much stuff anyway.

Now amps, that's another story--wouldn't mind having a small collection of amps! --JR

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 10:50 pm    

I have 2 MSAs, set up identicaly, or at least as close to it as possible. There are some subtle differences, but I have no trouble switching back and forth between them.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2003 9:14 am    

I have a 74 MSA Classic, and a new Carter on the way. Both set ups are very similar. I'm sure looking forward to the lighter weight of the Carter,as well as a triple raise changer and a Lawrence XR-16 pickup.[Green Birdseye]

------------------

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2003 10:21 am    

Hi Mick

Speaking for myself, I do use both my Universals but I favor the Zum for its weight and other factors for my local gigs but my other Sierra U-12 is set up right next to my zum and the copedant is slightly different in regards to the knee levers. In answer to your question if you are gigging and can leave your steel at the club then it pays to have a second one at home to keep up with practice otherwise if you're not gigging then "No worries and No confusion"..

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2003 10:34 am    

One thing that makes it nice to have another steel other than your gigging steel...
The gigging steel often smells like the barroom! Yuck!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2003 2:41 pm    

I like the idea of having a pedal steel in every room of the house. Mrs. Lee isn't too keen on it, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic, Line6 Variax (coming soon)

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2003 5:26 pm    

I have a Fessenden SD-10 with 3-4 and two that I built exactly like the Fessenden.All are idenical set ups and I bounce back and forth on all three so I get use to playing diffrent steels.
Sam White