The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help from someone with a Carter S10
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 9:39 am    

I would like to try some brass barrels with lock screws as well. I am considering ordering some 4-40 threaded brass standoffs, 3/16" OD x 1/4" long, and just drilling a hole through the side for the rod. Has anyone else tried that? It sure would be easier than fabricating from rod stock.

A standoff that might work is Keystone # 1547, available at digikey.com, cat# 1547K-ND. They are inexpensive.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 10:43 am    

Bruce... As long as you had a drill press (or milling machine) and a vise, it would be very difficult to drill the hole straight through the standoff. But that is a good idea.

Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 6:42 pm     brass dog bones

i contacted al brisco in canada and put in an order for some Carter hardware. What a nice and helpful man. i plan on visiting his store near Toronto, which Al calls pedal steel heaven!
Epiphone viola bass

Jarek Anderson

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 4:52 am     Re: brass dog bones

Dale Kath wrote:
i contacted al brisco in canada and put in an order for some Carter hardware. What a nice and helpful man. i plan on visiting his store near Toronto, which Al calls pedal steel heaven!

It's a great place to visit. You can pick up some good pies just east of his place as well. You can't miss the spot...

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 11:59 am    

Bruce Derr wrote:
I would like to try some brass barrels with lock screws as well. I am considering ordering some 4-40 threaded brass standoffs, 3/16" OD x 1/4" long, and just drilling a hole through the side for the rod. Has anyone else tried that? It sure would be easier than fabricating from rod stock.

A standoff that might work is Keystone # 1547, available at digikey.com, cat# 1547K-ND. They are inexpensive.

wow, that might do the trick Bruce.. If you do it. PLEASE let me know how it went... They are dirt cheap, if this is what you mean... bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pieces-Brass-Spacer-Standoff-3-8-Long-3-16-O-D-4-40-Threads-/281408397564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41853f60fc

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......