The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playin' at the nursing home
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 11:24 am    

Scott,
I've played dobro with some bluegrass friends a number of times at the nursing home here in my town. It is rewarding. The hardest part is seeing some old timer tapping his or her foot, engaging in fun talk afterwards, and then I'd show up a few weeks later and there's "an empty chair" where they once sat. Man that's a toughy on the heart strings.

I've been playing electric music for the last year, haven't been there in that year, I need to get with my old bluegrassers and "give some back" as the leader of the group always says when he calls me. He's a good man (like you).

Nice thread. Keep up the good work.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 2:14 pm    

Brooks, I agree with you. I seen many precious souls leave, some that even took a part in the singing by taking a part and even leading.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 May 2016 8:05 pm    

" That's what old folks need to see ...young people reproducing the culture of their youth ....not old fogies like us, who just remind them that they are getting old."

I dont normally chime in when I disagree with something posted, as everyone has a right to their opinions, and I am Not meaning to start an argument, buy I disagree...we can relate to them with our music...I play a solo at least one day a week at assisted living places, and the people there really relate to my music, because I play what they remember enjoying. I have never played a hymn or any gospel, just standards, old time country, big band, etc, and allow them to sing along also...they like that. Music is about memories and setting a mood, and I always find the audience joyful and "dialed in". Whereas, they do enjoy seeing the younger folks, they also enjoy seeing people they can relate to. I know young groups who go to these places and both are rewarded from the experience, but that doesnt mean that "old fogies" shouldnt play also.... Mad
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 2 May 2016 2:14 am    

Larry, I agree with you somewhat. When I played and sang for the Roaring 50's, all of us were at least 50 years old, most MUCH older. But we had a good time singing some oldies, even dressing the parts (picture a BALD 75 yo Elvis with a wig).

The main idea I believe is fellowship. I worked in a nursing home, and I knew residents there that their families seldom came to see them...

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 1:52 pm    

Doing something different tonight... Dobro in D6!

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 9:55 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I like playing at nursing homes, they're a real "captive" audience.
Once they lock the wheels on those wheel chairs, they can't get away! Whoa!

Cool

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 12:31 pm    

I think I mentioned that I play 3 times a week here in Oklahoma and about twice a week when I in Az at various assisted living places. I recently, in the last 2 months, changed my approach to it tho. Instead of doing a "show" type of thing, I made up song books with large print and they sing...I lead but at least they have the chance to sing along if they want to, or just read the words. Alot of them sing and sing quite well too ! I do a variety of songs from folk songs, cowboy music, standards from the 30s, some big band era, early rock, and in general anything that I think they might enjoy. They seem to like this approach much better and I never did feel good about me must singing and playing guitar, banjo or steel for them...this way they are involved and have something to hold on to. I do it solo and take my Roland street cube and usually use biab, but not always. I insert a few instrumentals to change the pace, Chet style guitar or a lap steel tune (they like Hawaiian tunes) or banjer tune...its a lot of fun for both them and me.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 4:06 pm    

There's a place called Sometime Society that has large print song books, and other materials to help in nursing home ministry.