The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playin' at the nursing home
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 6:00 am    

Very cool Scott!

I've done nursing homes quite a few times over the years. All I can say is if you ever wished that the audience would actually pay attention and appreciate what you're doing (as opposed to what you get in many live music venues) this is the gig for you. As others have said, this is a BIG deal for them.

I did one last year as a duo with a good friend of mine here in Austin, TX. An older guy was watching us very closely, and afterwards came up and complimented us on how good we sounded, etc. We got to talking and he introduced himself; it was Billy "B. C." Cooper, Willie Nelson's bodyguard/companion/driver for many years. What a cool guy! We spent a lot of time talking and listening to his stories. He was fascinating..

It's the experience and stories that these folks can share that is the treasure to me.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 6:30 am    

We had a huge number of the residents Monday night, and they WORSHIPED with us! They didn't just sit there.

But, having had years of ministry experience in that type of venue, I never judge the person by their reactions. I've seen time and time again where a patient that hasn't said a word in days, all of the sudden starts singing along with a gospel song, or raises a hand.

Never look at the outside, consider the heart.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 6:39 pm    

I've played these homes in Canada & Europe. They're the same. They always enjoy having you there. In Europe language is a challenge but as we all know music is an International language.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 6:57 pm    

Good job, Scott! We definitely need more folks who are willing to donate their time and talent to this type of ministry.

When I was a lad my dad would book our family band for at least one of these "gigs" each month...and honestly, I hated it. Along with lugging in my D-10 Sierra and 200 watt amp, I also carried in everything else;

5' speaker columns/full PA system, mics., gear, etc. And most of the time we had to cart it all up steps and way into the building to the recreation room.

Looking back on it, I suppose it wasn't all that bad, but at that time it seemed to be...

I know we brought enjoyment to many folks over the years and that is what counts the most. Smile

Cody Johnson

Cleveland, TN
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 7:01 pm    

Where is the nursing home located that you play at?

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 2:43 am    

Etowah, TN. Etowah Health Care, it's not the one at the hospital, it's the one around behind it. We are usually there on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7PM.

Cody Johnson

Cleveland, TN
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 8:12 am    

Okay. I may try to come check y'all out sometime. My grandfather is at the nursing home on the hill, across from the hospital, in Athens.

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 6:49 pm    

Scott that's a great place to play. I've been playing the nursing homes for several years. They are a much needed ministry. I'm also a Ham KJ4ZWC (Gen.) on the eastern side of the Smokies. God's speed !!! J.C. Norris

Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 8:55 pm    

My sons and I played regularly at homeless shelters and nursing homes. I was playing banjo, not steel. I hope someday I can play steel there. My greatest moment was when an old fella came up to me and he knew the song, Little Liza Jane. I felt we connected, just for a moment, through music.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 2:08 am    

Cody, come on up!

JC, Good deal on being a ham also. My ham website is at http://www.qsl.net/na4it.

Allan, to see a smile come on their face is a great gift!

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 8:29 am    

The most rewarding job I've ever played. I did it for a couple of years every Monday Afternoon and enjoyed it very much...
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 8:21 pm    

Scott, I have played in a band doing a nursing home gig. And I don't know who had the most fun, me or my wife I have left feeling blessed after playing there. And doing the Christmas and Halloween parties for a group of mentally challenged kids. Them and the elderly, all they want is someone to come in and for a short while spend time with them. I look at it as sharing my talent that, God had blessed me with, And share it with those who are not fortunate.

Tommy Shown

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 3:28 am    

I also traveled with a Senior's group for a couple of years doing nursing homes, churches, and civic events. We had a lot of fun. We did oldies and gospel, choir, quartet, duo, solos, and had dressed up characters also. (Kalija the Wooded Indian, Frosty the Snowman, Elvis, etc.) I did triple duty... I played bass, ran the sound system, and sang bass all at the same time. They were called the "Roaring 50's" out of Cleveland TN. (Everyone was 50 or older.)

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 1:48 pm     OH NO! I forgot some of my equipment!

Yep, last night at the nursing home, I forgot to bring my mixer with me! Luckily I had a 4 foot cord, so I basically sat with the powered speaker right beside me (against my seat!) and played with no effects of any kind!

But, we "got-er-done!

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 6:08 pm    

I'm playing a nursing home this Saturday, we're averaging about once a month lately. We do quite a varied set list, including:

- What a Friend We Have in Jesus
- You Are My Sunshine
- Walking the Floor Over You
- Someday Soon
- The Old Rugged Cross
- Hickory Wind
- Silver Haired Daddy of Mine

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 6:21 pm    

We use Heavenly Highway Hymns and the "red back" Church Hymnal.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 10:25 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVv9kn-yq10
As great as it is for us of advancing years to entertain others, we must always keep in mind that, when those people were young, they were not entertained by old folks; they were entertained by others who were also young. When we see people such as Jerry Lee Lewis bouncing around and playing his hits, it's obvious that he's no longer a youngster, and, as good as it is to see him still performing, it reminds us of our own old age.

To keep the old times alive we need youngsters to perpetuate the old cultures. My daughter Katie is this year's Miss Art Deco. She and her partner live a 1930s lifestyle, with no modern conveniences. She dances with the DecoBelles, who perform the old dances such as the Charleston. That's what old folks need to see ...young people reproducing the culture of their youth ....not old fogies like us, who just remind them that they are getting old.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 10:43 am    

As a follow-on to my previous post, my Granddad was born in 1890, and, to him, the Charleston was a new dance performed by the next generation.

Up until the time of mass media, with the radio, records, and movies, things didn't change much from generation to generation, and people still sang the same songs and danced the same dances as their great-great-grandparents had for centuries. But things started changing rapidly in the 20th century. Whilst I think of old folks as being WW1 veterans, and they themselves thought of old folks as being Civil War veterans, the fact is that today's old folks are Baby Boomers, and were brought up on rock and roll.

That's what they need to hear: young folks singing rockabilly and doo-wap. Cool

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 2:12 pm     One Sunday each month...

We played our first gig today at "The Lodge", a nursing home here in Mills River NC. I have to say, I've played in countless bands over the years and played in front of both hundreds and also tens of thousands but very, very few of those gigs were as satisfying as today's gig at The Lodge. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone. I feel privileged to have hopefully provided a little joy in in the lives of some wonderful people. We've booked ourselves in one Sunday a month as a regular gig.

Interestingly, when my girlfriend called asking about playing for the residents in the long term care wing, they wanted to know how much we would charge! She said of course there's no charge and never would be.

Scott, thanks for starting this thread, it's part of what inspired us jump in and do it!

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 3:53 pm    

Glad to have you part of the crew, Larry!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 11:19 am    

I wanted to thank you guys for what your doing in the Nursing Homes. One of the hardest times in my life was when I had to put my Mom in the Nursing Home. It was one of the highlights of her day when someone would come in a sang. At the end she didn't know my name, but when someone would come in and sang some of the old songs, she would sang along. I know some of the residents cant tell you or it doesn't seem as if they even care you are there. But, trust me they know and care. Your time and effort isn't in vane, Thank You All.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 5:14 pm    

Bob, I have seen those who have lost a lot of memories remember the good old songs.

I also wanted to say to anyone apprehensive about going to the nursing home remember this, is not about their condition, or wheelchair, or walker, but it the fact of that person inside is still so beautiful, and needs some joy and love from anyone willing to give it.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2016 1:38 pm    

Heading to the nursing home tonight! I'm switching back to lap steel, and will playing 6 string E7 tuning.

Pedal steel sells this weekend, and looks like there may be a Dobro in my future!

Eric Domkowski

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 7:57 am    

I play electric guitar in a group that plays Bakersfield-style country for an assisted living home once a month, and the residents love it! The ones that can get up and dance to their favorites, and they always sing along. It truly is one of the best gigs you can get. I also bring my 1 year old son with me, and he usually steals the show Wink

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 8:59 am    

Good for you Eric. I truly believe that everything we can do for these folks helps make their lives better!