The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playin' at the nursing home
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 5:29 pm    

Nobody special, just a country boy that likes to make people happy...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 5:50 pm     Good Deeds

Good on ya Scott! As the old sayin' goes, "Do Good, Get Good"... Smile Playing for these folks who have paid their dues is definitely a good way to stay humble and control the ego if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Carl Williams on 23 Jul 2014 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 7:20 pm    

May God richly bless you Scott.

If I recall correctly, you have not been playing pedal steel all that long. You are to be commended for taking your abilities and putting them to good use to brighten the day of some of the folks who need it most.

Mom had to be in the nursing home in her last days, and she enjoyed it very much when someone would come to the activity room to provide a bit of entertainment. I would wheel her down there and enjoy the music along with the others. In some ways it's a pretty darn hard thing to see, realizing that these are the same people that used to come to the dances thirty years ago and have a big time.

Thanks again.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 2:44 am    

About the equipment, the box to my right is a modified Peavey Session 500 being used as a pre amp. I got it free, because the power am was blown. More about it at http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=268066

Of course the actual amp is a Nashville 112.

A little history about me and the nursing homes... for many years, my wife and I had a gospel quartet and sang at two nursing homes once a month (plus churches, etc). Our actual ministry focus was nursing homes and jails. I am now disabled, and had to disband the group several years ago because I couldn't keep up the schedule. We now go with out church once a month.

I used to play bass and guitar, and lost the feeling in my left ring and little fingers, and decided to switch to steel.

More about our ministry at http://baministry.tripod.com/.

And Doug, you are right, I've been playing about 1 1/2 years now, and loving it!

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 3:53 am    

Bravo! Keep on keepin' on Scott!
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 7:00 am    

I like playing at nursing homes, they're a real "captive" audience.
Once they lock the wheels on those wheel chairs, they can't get away! Whoa!

Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 8:27 am    

Hey Mr. Duck
its grate to see others doing this - the Trio I played in did this for years - beside our normal gigs we would schedule one or two of these a month . not only did the folks have a good time ( as we did ) but it give us a chance to try out new tunes to an audience that enjoyed country music . we even played an alhimers (sp) home - most places folks were doing fine enjoying life - other places not so good ,( like Erv mention ) those left you a little sad for them .altho there's a lot of satisfaction in knowing you tried to bring them a little joy or fun for an hour or so .

you’da man Duck , thanks for sharing your story

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 8:41 am    

One important thing to think about in dealing with nursing home residents, it's not about the physical appearance, the wheelchair, bed or walker, it is about the person inside, someone's mom or dad, or grandparent. Get that in focus, and all the sudden, you do your best no matter what the response.

How do I know? Not only did I minister in nursing homes, I was a maintenance director and volunteer chaplain in one.

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 3:42 pm    

Scott, we know you have a great sense of humour just by viewing the humour section but you also have a kind heart mate. Good on you.

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 3:43 pm    

Awesome, Scott. I played a few nursing home gigs a few years back on 6-string and was totally blessed, this thread reminds me that I need to get back to doing that, but on steel now.

P.S. - I gotta get me one of those hand trucks you have behind you there!

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 5:35 pm    

John, the hand truck came from Lowe's several years ago. The handle comes out and it makes into a 4 wheel cart. I can carry everything I have on it in one trip. It is similar to this one...

Here's my challenge to all steelers (pros included)... find time to spend a little time at a nursing home near you. Talk to their activities director and get a time slot. Get some pickers and players together and go get blessed.

I used to also travel with a group out of Cleveland TN called the "Roaring 50's". All of us were 50 or older. We did nursing homes and civic events. Our "show" had about 25 minutes of oldies, and 35 minutes of gospel. We had about 20 singers, bass, guitar, piano, banjo, and drums. We had choir, quartet, duets, trios, solos. Stuff in the oldies like "Lipstick on Your Collar", "Caligula", Elvis stuff. Some of the folks dressed up in costumes, such as Indians, Elvis, etc and for Christmas we had the characters of Santa & Mrs. Claus, Frosty, and Rudolph. I played bass, sang bass, and ran the sound system (usually all at the same time!).

I could go on and on of the good times and blessing I had at the nursing homes. Just seeing the smiles was worth every second of my time.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 3:56 pm    

The group i play with plays nursing homes at least once a month, and we have for years, and it is a true blessing to us. Ypu never know for sure if they are enjoying but at the end of the tunes we usually a better response than we do at dances,,,we have had many of them tell us it s the highlight of their month when we come. Many cant respnd but sometimes you can see a toe tapping or a finger moving in time with the music.
In az some of the pros get upset with me for playing at them for free as te have a budget,,,but i dont feel comfy taking the money for it,,,thats not why i play...but that probably a discussion for another thread.
The bass player in our group once said when we were done that we can to home now, but the are already home. If you have never done it, try it, you will love it for sure.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 1:16 pm    

John Peay wrote:
Awesome, Scott. I played a few nursing home gigs a few years back on 6-string and was totally blessed, this thread reminds me that I need to get back to doing that, but on steel now.

Ok, Scott, just a bump to say I'm following up...my band has booked two (2) Nursing Home gigs in November. I'll report back afterwards, hopefully with pictures and/or vid clips.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 1:49 pm    

That's a really nice thing to do, Scott. My Mom has been in a nursing home for 5 years and I know that music can be really beneficial to the residents. I'm convinced some of the older tunes especially bring back many good memories for dementia patients. I always think it's sad when some of the residents never seem to have anyone visit them and I try to learn their names and spend time with them on my visits.

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 3:26 pm    

Scott, I too play in two nursing homes and a couple of assisted living units a month. Those folks really need entertainment and love especially country....most mouth all the words to the songs!

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 8:06 pm    

It's amazing how much good you do by giving of your time and talent in those directions. When I was working with quartets, we did a certain amount of gratis work in nursing homes; we got more blessed by it than the residents did it seemed like. ...We noticed that even when a resident there seemed to have no mind left, if we did something like Amazing Grace or other oldie hymns and such, they could sing every word. Very Happy ... Due to my own back, knee and heart problems, I don't play away from church anymore, just leave it all set up. But have been being encouraged to take up the "dobro" so I could go along and play nursing homes and prison ministries. Lord willing & with His help, that's what I intend to do. ... Cool
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 12:05 am    

Quote:
We noticed that even when a resident there seemed to have no mind left, if we did something like Amazing Grace or other oldie hymns and such, they could sing every word

We have seen that happen many times!

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 12:27 am    

Fine business Scott. I also play a nursing home twice monthly & more if needed. This is a wonderful & much needed ministry. Lots of these folks never see their families but maybe holidays. You go with the hopes of them getting a blessing, & it ends up with you being the one that's blessed!!! May our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ richly bless you & your ministry.

J.C. Norris Emmons push pull, Peavey Nashville 1000, 400, & 112. 1 custom-built banjo, Flinthill banjo, Telecaster, Fender black faced Deluxe reverb.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 8:19 am    

God bless all of you who do this noble job.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 8:56 am    

And from personal experience guys you can't go wrong with learning some tunes from The American Songbook...anything from Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett seems to bring a smile... Smile

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 6:03 pm    

I used to do this with Jamey Abersold tracks and later with BIAB.
Before that we did barbershop quartet and gospel quartet. You won't find a more noble and worthy cause. Bless you for bringing joy to our aged friends.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2014 11:46 am    

Best gigs on the planet, true story Smile

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2014 3:40 pm    

You're right, Dave, they are the best gigs on the planet. As a younger man, I volunteered as entertainment coordinator at a nursing home. We had polka nights, tried to make the world's largest Baked Alaska, and we (me included) watched Star Wars for the first time. There were lots of magic moments to go with the sorrowful, and none of that can be traded for dollars.

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2014 4:12 am    

I play two in hopes that someone will play for me one day.

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2014 7:53 am    

Roual Ranes wrote:
I play two in hopes that someone will play for me one day.

Reminds me of the song "Who Will Sing for Me?" Might have to add that one to our set list, although on second thought it might be a bit too much of a downer for the nursing home gigs...