The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Class/West Texas Steel Guitar School/Sept 26/27 E9/C6
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:23 pm    

Hello Fellow Steelers,
Just a quick note to let everyone know about the next class for the Steel School. It will be on September 26 & 27, which is a Friday and Saturday. I have been thinking about doing a split class with a little E9 and a little C6. I have a couple of my partner steelers checking to see who will make the class and help me as a co-teacher. I will let you know in the next few days, as the schedules are firmed up. This one will be intermediate in structure, and I'm extremely excited to have this particular class. I've got quite a bit of new material and this class is shaping up to be a good one. Check out my website at www.westtexassteelguitarschool.com for a little more info. Also, please feel free to call me on my cell at 325.518.3947.
My email is larry@westtexassteelguitarschool.com
More details to follow.
See you there!

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 10:56 am    

Good luck Larry. I think everything will go great.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 7:49 am     West Texas Steel Guitar school

I enjoyed the one I went to so much I wish I could go back for this one. If anyone is thinking about attending, go for it. I promise you won't be sorry.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 7:07 am    

Well,
I just got a call from Steve and Donna Palousek, and he is good to go with his schedule for the September School. The last school we had with Steve was a C6th class. There were a few guys that could play well. By the end of the 1st day, they were sitting there with their mouths open and amazed at the stuff Steve was playing. Needless to say, Steve is one of the best there is! This school promises to be STOUT! So, gear up, and call me on my cell. If you are wanting a bunch of C6, this school is for you. If you are predominantly E9th, then you will have ALL you will want and MORE, I promise. You will not leave wanting more stuff to learn, I promise. I've got 3 guys signed up at this point in time, and we'd like to have about 5 more to round out the class. Steve and I have done about 4 schools together now, and we finally know what each other is doing and where each other is heading. So, you will benefit from our experience together. I've lined up some nice tabs and tracks, and some killer exercises to boost your speed and technique. So come on out to West Texas.......see ya'll there!

Much Obliged,
Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell
larry@westtexassteelguitarschool.com

PS, I did a steel show in Austin a couple of months back with Roger Edgington, who posted above. One of the nicest gentlemen I've ever met, and also a fantastic steel picker on both E9 and C6. If you ever see Billy Mata's band, Roger is his steel picker....lots of parts and riffs!!!!!!!

Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 11:15 am     School

I don't mind telling you!!! I was one of those with my mouth hung open at both these guys' ability. Steve is unbelievable and a nice guy!!! Answered all the questions with no hesitation, even the dumb ones.
Good Luck Larry

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 11:33 am    

Thanks for the kind words Larry. I'm on my way to Pearls in Ft. Worth with my "69" Emmons Push/pull.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 5:46 pm    

Steve Palousek can take you as deep into either neck as you want to go and he has a twisted sense of humor, just like me. Larry and Susie Toliver will take you in like one of the family. It's a fun time and you will get a brain overload that will keep you busy for days on end.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 7:41 pm    

Well,
I just got off of the phone with Steve Palousek. We are brainstorming about the upcoming class. I have asked him to chart 2 of the songs off his cd: one on E9th and one on C6th. The E9th tune is I Love you So Much It Hurts, and the C6th tune is Steve's own Blues #37. Both are excellent tunes and the students that attend this particular class will get tabs and tracks no one else will have. Bring your video cameras or phones and get some video you can take home and re-run at your leisure.
I have had requests for the Emmons tune- Nameless Shuffle (E9th), which I am tabbling at the moment, and I am tabbing out the Preacher in F which is one of the most popular tunes on C6th. These are just for starters.
I have also been asked to teach some tunes and then show how to improvise on them. So, Steve and myself are putting several little gems together that will help in this aspect of your playing.
As you can see, we are designing this class to give you enough material so that if you just want C6 stuff, you'll have plenty, and if you are primarily an E9th player, then the same goes.....you'll be given, scratch that....you'll be loaded down with plenty of stuff.
So, get ready for one of the best classes we have ever put together. We have 4 signed up now and paid in full. I don't think this class will take too long to be full.
Call me asap at 325.518.3947

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 8:47 pm    

Looking forward to the class. It will be great seeing Steve and my home girl Donna again.Will visit with you Larry tomorrow.We have to be in Abilene for eye Dr. Apt.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2014 11:23 am    

Just a quick update on the steel school. There are now 5 confirmed students for the school. It is filling up rather nicely. C'mon and give me a call and let's get STEELIN'!!!!!!
Larry T

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 1:38 pm    

Please bump up to the top!
Larry T

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 9:47 am    

Steve is one of the most imaginative players I have ever heard. His capabilities seem unlimited.
One of the greatest.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 8:06 pm    

Well,
I was browsing the forum a couple of weeks back, and in the tablature section I saw where there were some people wanting Steve Palousek's Steel Dreaming. I have a copy of a DVD when Steve was younger teaching this song, and since it is his Stuff, I told him about the interest. Anyway, Steve is now doing this song also for our intermediate/advanced E9th portion of the school. This is huge! We have stayed up jamming late at night several times, and I always wind up saying, now....show me that one part of Steel Dreaming again....and wow, what a song. So....yes....I'm trying to entice one or two more steelers to come to the school. But....it REALLY will be worth it. This one's gonna be a Stout one, and a memory maker! You don't get up close and personal, hands on, right in your face teaching, as good as it gets....with some one of Steve's caliber every day! Consider coming to our class.
Larry Toliver

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:53 pm    

You go Larry! I love what you are doing for the steel by teaching these classes. Things like this keep steel alive. Smile

Steve Palousek

Holland. Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 2:11 pm     Pack that steel

Larry,
I am looking forward to teaching the class with you. We always have a great time. I really look forward to your gigs that weekend and staying for the jam on Sunday. If any of you are still thinking about this, stop thinking and start packing. We have a great time, Larry is a super teacher and his wife, Susie, makes some great food to keep us going. See you in Merkel!
Steve

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 6:48 pm    

Thanks to Jody Cameron for the post. A great player indeed! AND.....a great big thanks for Steve Palousek. This class will be one of the best we've had at the West Texas Steel Guitar School, and I'm gearing up myself for the task. We do have room for a couple of players, so c'mon out and join in! I guarantee you'll never have any better caliber of material, excellent teaching, hand to hand combat, I mean one on one teaching, any questions you ask will be answered, great fellowship with excellent teachers, and in every class....I meet a couple of people that become life long friends and acquaintances. The food will be the best, the friendship will be the best, and most of all....you'll definitely get some teaching and material that will bump your playing up at least one or two notches. I get ideas every time that help my playing. Besides the songs we tab out...Steve and I are working on patterns coming from a 5 chord to a 1, or a 1 to a 4 that we will change and twist about 20 different ways. This alone helps my thinking, and gives me lots of different licks to use on the fly. Come on and give me a call. Less than 30 days now. Lets go!
Talk to you later!
Larry T

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 6:04 pm    

Well, I have 6 confirmed students for the school so far, and could accommodate easily a couple more. I really believe this particular class will be amazing. Steve is tabbing out his Blues # 37 for c6th, Steel Dreaming and I love you so much for E9th. I have 2 different speed picking songs on E9th, The nameless shuffle, All my loving, blue jade for E9th, and The Preacher, All My Exes, Deep Water, and more coming for C6th. Plus we are covering how to improvise on several songs, intros, scales, harmonic tuning, several techniques that are advanced to help when playing with a band or track. Licks, Licks, Licks and more. This school will be one of the best. Come on out and join us.
Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell

Steve Palousek

Holland. Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 1:21 pm     Looking forward to it

Larry,
I'm looking forward to this class and staying for the jam on Sunday at the Lumberyard. I think this will be one of our best classes yet.
I'm looking forward to working with all of y'all that are coming.

Steve

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 7:09 pm    

Sounds Good Steve!
I'm ready to run with this combo E9/C6 class. I've just finished a 5511 or 1144 series of licks with the same basic notes rearranged and twisted 20 different ways. This is always a hit at the school. Imagine coming out of the 5 chord at the 12th fret....A chord (a&b pedals) to the 10th fret G chord, then F# minor, E minor, and back to D chord at the 5th fret A&B pedals down. 1st walk it down with just the chords. Then rearrange it 20 different and exciting ways.. It always helps my playing when I have to do this each time. Steve is working on the same thing on the C6 neck. This will be an awesome class. Wish you could be here.
Larry T