The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  to install or run BIAB external hard drive??
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 12:44 pm    

I currently have v2011 and run the BIAB external drive. I experience some glitchy behavior and slowness sometimes. Some progressions wont play with a "out of memory' box popping up. I've got 8 GB of memory in my laptop. Would BIAB run better if installed in the pc hd and forget about the BIAB external?
Another? : Does Big Jim B sell latest version upgrade with RPrice shuffles?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 2:32 am    

I have BIAB on my internal hard drive. With all its doing, I wouldn't want it on an external drive which can be relatively slow, especially if its a USB2.0 connection.

The "out of memory" however is probably not because of the external drive. With 8GB of RAM, what Operating System do you have? and is it a 64 bit OS? How many programs do you have open when running BIAB? Too many and you can get that (it was an issue in XP).

It could be the old version of BIAB, too. The new/current version is more suited to 64 bit OS.

I know Jim has the Ray Price shuffle, don't know if he is still selling BIAB.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 11:26 am    

thanks for the feed back Jack. My system:

Windows 7
522 free space on internal HD
8 GB RAM
64 bit
2.30 GHZ

never have other programs running, oh wait a minute... I may have a youtube up on another tab ready to play as I may alternate between the youtube and BIAB while learning something and practicing, but I believe the "out of memory" comes up anyway regardless. An example would be a practice progression for scale work coursing through circle of fifths until every key is played changing key every 4 or 8 bars using a jazz combo style. Seems to be to much for the memory. But 8 gigs??

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 5:40 pm    

Your problem more likely comes from shortcomings in the programming of the software not just the amount of available memory. Bit hard to explain to non programmers.
I use biab 2012.5 on a usb 2 stick on Xp home and an atom proceesor (pretty basic) and it works OK - I stick with it as the sound module is great and very configurable.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 8:44 am    

"out of memory" issue seems to be related to the style selection. If I select another style perhaps loaded with fewer instrumentation it solves the problem. But it still a nuisance not to have any still available. This 'memory' thing confuses me as to whether it's some memory inherent to the biab software or my internal pc.