The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OLD amps sometimes mean BETTER AMPS..........?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 8:54 am    

Of all the old VINTAGE tube amps of historical times,
Volu-Tones used to be near the top of the list. Then Oahu amps became quite popular followed in no particular order were Fenders and Gibsons.

In YOUR opinion, what do YOU believe is the most sought after tube amp of yester-year? WHY?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 9:15 am    

I think the Electar amps of the 40s were the top for the time. After that, Fender came along followed by Standel, which are pretty much the holy grail for a nice hi-fi sound.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 10:24 am    

Moved to Electronics from Steel Without Pedals.

I think the 1965-66 Fender Deluxe Reverb is one of the most sought after vintage amplifiers. I see good models selling on eBay for around $3,500 USD.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 1:46 pm    

For lap steel, my 1952 Pro Amp has few equals. Thing is a killer! BTW, that is the original factory finish. Grillcloth is not though.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 1:52 pm    

The best I've heard was a tube Standel, similar to this one:

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 3:33 pm    

Does that have a 15 b0b?

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 11:04 am    

b0b and Mike are right..the Standel 20L15 is the Holy Grail for lush, clean tones with volume to stand up in any situation. 15" JBL (hence the "L 15")---every one is a sonic gem.

That said I have a particular love for the Tweed Fender Harvard amp...as used by Steve Cropper on most of his Memphis/STAX recordings. A great,versatile grab and go type amp.

But there are many, many great old amps. sigh..

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 1:45 pm     Re: OLD amps sometimes mean BETTER AMPS..........?

Ray Montee wrote:

In YOUR opinion, what do YOU believe is the most sought after tube amp of yester-year? WHY?

In my opinion it's pretty hard to beat an old Fender.
They sound great and if you need to repair one it's easy to find components.

That being said, I have an old Ampeg Gemini VI that I refuse to part with. Smile

Rick

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 2:23 pm    

I too love old Fender BF amps..have a couple '67 Super Reverbs,'65 Pro Reverb,'66 Princeton Reverb, (wow) '69 Dual Showman Reverb.. '64 Vox AC30 is hard to beat...Also a bunch of 60's Ampegs.. RRII,Gemini VI,'64 Jet and a '68 B12XT..Also love 70's Music Man amps...

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 7:41 pm    

1965 Fender Twin, 70's Fender Duel Showman w/reverb, 70's Fender PA135 and PA100. All the above has been completely restored & rehabbed. There is something emotional about using and looking at these amps. Wish I could carry them Oh Well

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 9:00 pm    

I'm lucky to own a '64 Vibroverb. Had my choice of two, one with the JBL, and the other with the Jensen. I chose the Jensen, as it sounded wonderful with my Tele. Started gigging with it, and found it to be the best pedal steel amp I ever heard! But it had to be miked, as it would break up at about 5. Great amp for gigging playing lead Tele and steel. I retired it when too many guys started eyeballing it!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 9:20 pm    

Fender blackface amps do it for me. I've owned a lot of them over the years, including a 64 Vibroverb, 67 Vibrolux Rev, Twin Rev, Super Rev, several Deluxe Reverbs and Princeton Reverbs. Right now I just have my 67 Vibrolux Rev. for guitar gigs. I also have a 1959 tweed Deluxe that I like a lot for recording and playing at home.

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 4:35 am     fender

Played through many amps over the years and none can compare to my 58 Fender Bassman. I did replace the four tens with 2 twelves.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 9:43 am     amps

How well does the Peavey Vegas 400 work for steel? I have not seen anyone talk much about these amps.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 9:45 am     Herel's another..............

My PEAVY L.A.-400 with 250 watts and 12 inch Black Widow is one heck of a great sounding amp with my Emmmons P/P.

One of my BEST amp purchases. Had a lot more punch than did my Session 400'

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 10:01 am     Amps

I think the Vegas 400 has a BW 15" speaker . I do not know the watage .

Neri Bazzani

Italy
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 4:21 am    

I play trought many amps, but the best for a steel without pedal never hear was an Ampeg Mercury from 1959, 12" speaker, because of the balance from high and low strings and the right minimum overdrive dose.

Neri Bazzani

Italy
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 4:21 am    

I play trought many amps, but the best for a steel without pedal never hear was an Ampeg Mercury from 1959, 12" speaker, because of the balance from high and low strings and the right minimum overdrive dose.

Giandomenico Fioretto

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2014 12:32 pm     Vintage Amp

elka tX20 - MOODY MADE IN SYDNEY 1950-vEGA usa 1947 hAPPY nEW yEAR

Giandomenico Fioretto

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2014 12:40 pm     Othrs Vintage Amps

iTALIAN ariston 5 WWATT AND SOUND Studio 10 - all tube class A - and a UNIVOX/premiere B25 with a 12 Jensen 15watt class A (best Harp amp )for bass ,but sound great wwith guitars and Harmonica -made in USA -

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2014 8:05 pm    

It depends on your definition of "yester-year". Speaking strictly on the basis of price, the vintage Dumbles win, hands down...with prices sometimes exceeding $25,000. Fender has a few amps that occasionally will bring over $10,000, and many that might fetch $3,000-$5,000. A few of the old Standels might bring in $3,000-$4,000.

But the older amps that were popular in the '30s and '40s, like the Volu-Tones, the Oahus, and the Nationals, will only very rarely bring anything over $1,000. Cool

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2014 1:10 am    

I got this Music Man 212- HD, used in 1977, so it has to be a '76, the first year Music Man came out. It's like a twin on steroids.

I've been told it has a tube pre-amp as well as power amp, and that starting in '77, Music Man went to a solid state pre-amp. I don't know enough about amp construction to be able to verify that.

It's a great sounding amp. But it weighs 70+ pounds. I'm going to be 69 years old in 2 weeks. I needed something lighter, which is why I got the Quilter.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2014 1:49 am    

The Music Man amps are great...I have 3 from '76 and they have a solid state pre-amp with a 12ax7 phase inverter and EL34 tube output..I think the later versions just eliminated the 12ax7 phase inverter in favor of a solid state inverter.. they are built like tanks and HEAVY!

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2014 2:37 am     Re: amps

Karol Wainscott wrote:
How well does the Peavey Vegas 400 work for steel? I have not seen anyone talk much about these amps.

Karol,
I used a Vegas 400 for several years for stage with both steel and Telecaster. I think it does quite a good job.
JB

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 5:39 am    

I buy and sell vintage guitars and amps. Have for, oh, a good portion of my many years. Got a show in Columbus OH weekend after next.

Anyway, the hottest selling amps now, for me, are original Fender Princeton Reverbs and non-pull boost Deluxe Reverbs. Yes, there are other great amps that sell for more and less but those two are the easiest vintage ones to move. By far. All day long. Vibrolux Reverbs move, too, as do Champs and original tweeds. Reissues, no. 1980's & later - no.

Price point is always a factor, of course, but in terms of popularity the two I mention don't stay up for sale very long. At least in my experience.