The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I think my pickup needs adjusting
Ben Orgil

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 9:55 am    

I bought a 1950 supro on ebay. I overpaid for it a bit because it didn't come with a case and some stuff on it isn't original (which I could car less about), but its in good condition and it sounds great- except for the low 6th string.

When I play the string further up on the fret board it sound like its clanging against the pickup like the action is too low. Of course you don't set the action for lap steel so I'm thinking the pickup is too high? Or a least the little metal cylinder thing (magnet?) that sits under the string.

I'm also hoping this is just because the strings that were already on it were old or for a different tuning (I using open D). Still waiting for my new strings but till then I figured I'd post a pic and see if someone can tell if the pickup needs adjusting.

Totally new to lap steel and guitar in general so I'm a little wary about messing with the pickup.

[/img]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 10:09 am    

Have you tried lowering the pole screw for string 6? Get a small screwdriver and turn that little screw down about a half a turn. And are those flat wound strings? If so, I suggest getting rid of them and using roundwound.

Ben Orgil

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 10:20 am    

Can I just screw them down like that? I'll try that when I get home. I don't remember seeing notches in the top of them that looked like they could be turned with a screw driver though.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 10:53 am    

Yes, each pole screw is adjustable. They can be turned up or down to adjust the volume of each string. Put a small screwdriver into the hole(s) on the top plate to turn the screw.

Sometimes the screws are rusted solid and won't turn. That's rare though. They are usually okay.

If a screw is too high the string will hit it (when the bar is placed on the strings) and the string will buzz. Also, if a screw is too close to the string it may result in a distorted sound from that string. So make sure there is clearance, and check it when the bar is on the strings.

If a screw is too low the volume of that string could be weak.

You shouldn't have to turn the screw much to adjust the volume. Usually a half a turn is enough.

It would be a good idea to measure the DC resistance of the pickup. The easiest way is to patch a guitar cord into the guitar, turn the volume up all the way and take a reading off the cord. You can buy a multimeter at Radio Shack for about $25.

Most of these old Valco pickups measure about 5K to 6K ohms. I had one that was only about 3K years ago, and it sounded very good. Keep in mind that these lap steels have a somewhat raw sound as compared to modern lap steels.

Ben Orgil

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 11:14 am    

Ok so I lowered the pole under the six string and its not buzzing as bad. I think they might be rusted or I was using the wrong screw driver (tried a flat head from an eye glass repair kit) because the screw driver wasn't working. I just used needle nose pliers and gently turned it a little bit to lower it.

I also took off the top cover and the side metal pieces of the pickup and took pictures. It looks pretty rusted inside. A musician friend of mine has a guy that works on guitar electronics, do you think I should ask him to clean up the pickup (if that's even possible)?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 11:49 am    

Hard to tell from the pics, but it appears that perhaps the stock slotted polepieces have been replaced with hex-heads. If that is the case, the correct size Allen wrench should work to adjust the polepiece(s).

If that is not the case, to quote the great Emily Latella -- never mind!

Ben Orgil

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 12:17 pm    

Think you might be right, I'll try an Allen wrench next time.

Can you tell at all from the pics if the pickup looks OK? I think it sounds fine, but was wondering if it would be worth it to have someone look it over and possessively fix it up if necessary- how would you restore/clean up an old pick anyway?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 3:27 pm    

Ben Orgil wrote:
Think you might be right, I'll try an Allen wrench next time.

Can you tell at all from the pics if the pickup looks OK? I think it sounds fine, but was wondering if it would be worth it to have someone look it over and possessively fix it up if necessary- how would you restore/clean up an old pick anyway?

I personally endorse the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. If it sounds fine, it probably is. Save your money and buy another lap steel. Just like Lay's potato chips, you can't only have one!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 5:36 pm    

Yeah, "cleaning" a pickup is not necessary. I like pickups with a little bit of grit on them... they seem to sound better. Cool As long as it sounds good, I'd say leave it alone. And don't assume that a "guy who works on guitar electronics" knows anything about steel guitars or these pickups. The first time I took one of these Valcos to a guitar shop the guy looked it over, trying to figure out how the pickup worked. He said "where are the magnets?" Then he took it apart and he was amazed that the magnets are on each end of the pickup.

BTW if you remove the magnets be sure to put them back in the same way (same polarity).

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 8:12 pm    

I believe those pole pieces are a 6-32 thread. At least they were on my 49 Supro.
I agree with the advice others have given. If it plays then don't worry about it.

Ben Orgil

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 5:04 am    

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about it myself and realized the only reason I went with a supro is because they are supposed to have a "dirty" sound. I'm sure the 60 some odd years of grit only adds to that.

I adjusted the poll and put some new strings on and it sounds much better. I used a 64 gauge for the low 6 string though and I think its too big for the nut so I'll try a 60 and see how that works out.