The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carvin D-8 Pedal Steel
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2014 10:05 am    

I have a friend that found one of these in their attic.

It's a early to mid 60's CARVIN model #81 Pedal Steel. It's a double 8 cable pull type, and from what I've seen it looks like a old Fender 1000 Clone. It belonged to a family member who never learned to play it. They want to sell this guitar, but don't know what kind of price to ask. I know nothing about these guitars so I'm not much help. Cosmetically on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7. Any ideas on it's value.

Nick

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2014 10:52 am    

Nick, that's a very cool looking guitar. It looks all Carvin to me,not Fender knock-off at all. In case you are not aware of it, Carvin maintains a museum website as well as the one for the current models. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/66-guitars.html

It seems the original retail price for this beauty was US$500. I don't know about current worth, it looks like you could maybe get some info on that by spending some time at the museum.

HTH.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2014 1:07 pm    

I have only seen maybe three of these for sale in the last couple of years. I don't think many were made. I am not sure if a collectors market exist for Carvin steels I have seen one on ebay but I don't remember what it sold for. If its in good condition it shouldn't be hard to find someone to buy it.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 4:49 am    

I have a soft spot in my heart for early Carvin products. But don't have the money. *sigh*

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 6:51 am    

Although it looks pretty cool, I also doubt that there are many Carvin steel guitar collectors out there. It does look comparable to the Fender 1000s, which currently sell in the $1000 - $1250 range depending on condition, so that might be a starting point. The 1000s don't generate a lot of interest among modern players either.

It might be fine as a player for retro music - I'd love to have one - although the massive changer would limit right hand movement. I would be curious to hear it, as it looks like it sports a version of Carvin's famous AP6 pickups.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 7:40 am    

Carvin Sold PSG Hardware. In The Early 1960s Changers were available: An 8 string changer $100., A 10 String changer $150. pedals, Pedal Rods & Tuning Heads With Tuning Keys, etc.

Roger

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 4:26 pm    

The current D8 Fenders are bringing $900-$1100, and they have a famous name. The Carvin would bring maybe the same, or slightly less. (They were a low-buck alternative to the big names.) Their guitars were bigger, clunkier, and plainer than the Fenders, but they did have a similar (one-piece) cast aluminum frame, and a similar cable setup.