The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feet Rogers- Private Recording-The Lanai Sessions
Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 11:22 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYhWq9pzvPI The Lanai Sessions

During a visit to O'ahu, in June 2010, I ran into Fred Lunt. Not sure if you know who he is. I knew about his connection and great friendship with Feet Rogers through conversations that I had with Uncle Ronald Kanahele, who was Feet's cousin. Fred was Best Man at Feet's wedding.

Fred was a fine steel guitarist in his own right, recording with a group called "Na Pali" and with Pancho Graham and more famously recording and touring with Taj Mahal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tmpJMsivk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpjZnJJa0s

Fred and I struck up a friendship that lasted even after I went back to California. We kept in touch via email and phone. Since he knew I collected vintage Hawaiian LPs he asked me if I had some long out of print David Keli'i stuff on vinyl.

Knowing that I was a big fan of Feet Rogers he sent me a CD of a private recording of Feet made in the 60s by his friend, the Honolulu based bantam weight boxer, Francis Militante. Feet playing solo with I assume Francis backing him up on guitar throughout. Feet and Francis were very good friends and Francis had a strong interest in music.
http://obits.staradvertiser.com/2012/06/17/francis-karl-lehua-militante-mili/

Fred sent me this music just a few months before he died. The quality is not the greatest and you can hear roosters crowing on some of the tracks. He called them "The Lanai Sessions".

Have you ever heard of these recordings? As far as I know, these are the only recordings of Feet playing outside of The Sons Of Hawai'i and the one album he did as part of The Maile Serenaders. From a historical perspective, I think it is important to bring this collection to the attention of steel guitar enthusiasts. It is a great way to hear one of the members of the Rogers Family of steel guitar players, on a more personal level, I think.

Much aloha and thanks to Basil Henriques from Tamworth, UK for his great help in improving the sound quality of these tracks that were recorded using less than professional equipment back sometime in the early 1960s. The fact that this was recorded on David "Feet" Rogers lanai in the Kalihi area of Honolulu, Hawai'i is evidenced by the roosters crowing in the background on some of the tracks.

By the way, Basil and his wife Pat produce a wonderful magazine devoted to the steel guitar called, "Aloha Dream" to find out more information go to http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/

There are 12 tracks all together and I have been able to ID all but two.

There is a vocal on the last track. Could that be the voice of Feet Rogers? I think it might because at one point a second voice (Francis Militante??) comes in for just a brief period of time.

The track listings and start times are as follows:
1 Hilo Hanakahi 00:00
2 Sanoe 02:04
3 Kawohikukapulani 05:20
4 Hula O Makee 07:10
5 Remember, Be Sure And Be There 09:00
6 Unknown Song Title 11:57
7 Sand 14:58
8 Moana Chimes 17:46
9 Hold That Tiger 23:53
10 Unknown Song Title 25:04
11 Wakare No Isochidori 26:29
12 Aloha No Au I Ko Maka 29:14

Last edited by Norman Markowitz on 12 Jul 2014 7:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 2:56 pm    

Thanks for sharing, Norman. The tape is a real gem. It may be the tempo, but it is the most like the playing of his uncle Benjamin that I have heard of Feet.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 2:58 pm    

There's very little else floating about beyond the Lunt tape but every bit is precious and there is some, such as the exceptional '73 steel show at the Blaisdell Aud. with Feets and George, but my copy doesn't include the Old McDonald's Farm finale.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 2:58 pm    

Right David. So much different than the tempo he used when he was part of the mix with The Sons of Hawai'i. Much more soul full.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 3:00 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
There's very little else floating about beyond the Lunt tape but every bit is precious and there is some, such as the exceptional '73 steel show at the Blaisdell Aud. with Feets and George, but my copy doesn't include the Old McDonald's Farm finale.

Sure would be nice to hear what you have there, Ron. Hint! Hint!

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 3:06 pm    

thanks for this Norman - great stuff. love discovering new steel music
that is some beautiful steel
nice to hear a fresh version of Sand

Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 9:45 pm    

Beautiful music.

Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 9:45 pm    

Thank you so much for posting this!

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 10:41 pm    

Jerome Hawkes wrote:
thanks for this Norman - great stuff. love discovering new steel music
that is some beautiful steel
nice to hear a fresh version of Sand

Thanks, that fresh version was done over 50 years ago.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 2:07 am    

Norman, thank you so much for sharing these rare, private recordings! The forum never ceases to amaze me.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 8:16 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Norman, thank you so much for sharing these rare, private recordings! The forum never ceases to amaze me.

My pleasure Andy. I really do feel that these track have some real historical significance. I don't know of any other examples of Feet Rogers stripped away from being part of a band.

Much thanks to Basil Henriques for greatly improving the audio quality from the original clips that I sent him. I wonder why he didn't use his patented "Rooster Filter" on some of the tracks.

By the way, if anyone can help with IDing the song titles for tracks 6 and 10, that would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 8:41 am     Unknown song #10

Classic recording.......I believe song #10 is "KALELEONALANI"

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 9:43 am    

Mahalo nui, Martin!! I think you are right.

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 7:50 am    

This is a terrific document of his playing-- thanks Norman!! I was wondering-- does anyone have a copy of the 1973 steel show at Blaisdell that they would be willing to share? Or is it available online somewhere? Thanks!

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 1:21 pm    

John, I've promised that show to another forum member for far too long and when I find it maybe he'll be willing/able to post it up. Finding it elsewhere will be rewarding but probably equal to an expedition into terror, mine was handed to me.

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 1:48 pm    

Hi Ron,

I am assuming that this is the show sponsored by the HMF? I had no idea a recording existed. I just finished a chapter draft on this period in my forthcoming book on the history of the Hawaiian steel, and would do just about anything to hear a recording of this landmark show. If it's too difficult for you to locate, would you know of anyone else whom I might contact who has a copy of it? I am so thrilled that this even exists!!

John

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 6:49 pm    

John Troutman wrote:
I am assuming that this is the show sponsored by the HMF? I had no idea a recording existed. If it's too difficult for you to locate, would you know of anyone else whom I might contact who has a copy of it? I am so thrilled that this even exists!!
I'm thinking you're right, John, but not sure. It was long thot that there was no record of this first steel show in Hawaii but it was semi-pro recorded and it's an all-star cast for sure, it'll wobble your mind so I'll try to dig it out soon. It's beyond minimal that my connect would be willing/able to help out but I just got a bunch of other unavailable stuff from him that is cool as well, amazing what has survived the decades.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 9:24 pm    

John Troutman wrote:
This is a terrific document of his playing-- thanks Norman!! I was wondering-- does anyone have a copy of the 1973 steel show at Blaisdell that they would be willing to share? Or is it available online somewhere? Thanks!

I had this recording in my possession for some time. I had the feeling that it was something unique and would be important for those people that would understand its significance to hear. To have it locked away on my computer, so that only I could listen to it seemed selfish. That is the only reason that I posted it. I think that if there are more recordings like this that are in the realm of being historically significant they should somehow become available.

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 7:42 am    

Hi Ron,
I would be eternally grateful if you can locate it! If it is the show that I am thinking of, it was organized by George Kanahele as the third of three concerts that he and the Hawaiian Music Foundation had arranged in their effort to celebrate and rejuvenate interest in Hawaiian music (the first was a slack key concert, the second a falsetto concert). I have read a couple of different accounts about it-- one stated that all the big players of the time performed (Feet Rogers, David Keliʻi, Billy Hew Len, and maybe 4-6 others). Another mentioned that Jerry Byrd and David Keliʻi introduced many of their students at the concert-- (one stated that Byrd presented a steel guitar orchestra with 30 of his students!). These accounts likely conflate a couple of different concerts. But my guess is that the show you own a recording of involves, as you put it, the "all-star cast". Thanks so much for thinking about digging up the recording--I really appreciate it!!
John

p.s. Norman-- thank you again for putting the Lanai Sessions online!!

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:36 am    

Don't mean to raise eyebrows, but this is the most "Hawaiian" steel guitar I've probably ever heard (and I'm pretty familiar with the work of all the greats). Pure and vocal-like, played with amazing tone and sensitivity...everything that is great about the music.

I'm forever grateful to you for sharing this, Norman.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 1:03 pm    

Scott Thomas wrote:
Don't mean to raise eyebrows, but this is the most "Hawaiian" steel guitar I've probably ever heard (and I'm pretty familiar with the work of all the greats). Pure and vocal-like, played with amazing tone and sensitivity...everything that is great about the music.

I can remember the first time I really took notice of Feet Rogers. It was when I was listening to the Sons Of Hawai'i album "Folk Music Of Hawai'i" sometimes called The Five Faces Album or The Red Album. I found myself looking forward to each one of his brief solos on the individual tracks. To me his piercing notes and sensitivity to the music around him was pure genius. It almost brought me to tears at times, the pure emotion of his playing was almost over powering.

To get the chance to hear him stripped away from just being part of a band and being able express himself on his own is truly a gift. I will always thank Fred Lunt for giving me this recording.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 1:04 pm    

John Troutman wrote:
Ron, I have read a couple of different accounts about it, one stated that all the big players of the time performed (Feet Rogers, David Keliʻi, Billy Hew Len, and maybe 4-6 others). Another mentioned that Jerry Byrd and David Keliʻi introduced many of their students at the concert-- (one stated that Byrd presented a steel guitar orchestra with 30 of his students!). These accounts likely conflate a couple of different concerts.
Astute assumptions, John, I'm sure this evening became lore amongst the faithful, most of whom are long gone, and my how things have changed... No doubt those intros by David and Jerry happened at some point but David did not play this nite (the only bummer) and was on the mainland, from what I've heard. And this was Byrd's first big show having been living here maybe less than a year, so I'll doubt he got the OK to intro a bunch of students, nor did he even have 30 students in '73. But I'd like to know the facts of this and whatever other similar evening, you'd probably have to leap a decade to JB's first Ho'olaule'a for anything comparable, fortunately those shows were also recorded. The HMF show was certainly special and mega kudos to those responsible, we lost Pua soon after so hearing him and his Dad together is just one chicken skin moment out of many. Oh, to have been there!

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 6:41 am    

Hey Ron,

Thanks for this great information. I'm going back through my files to see what info I have located on the show. It is scant, but the Kanahele and the HMF routinely remarked upon the success of this show in "reintroducing," for lack of a better word, the steel to the islands, at least in the context of the renaissance movement underway at that point. Please let me know if you are able to locate the recording. thanks again!
John

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 12:51 pm    

John Troutman wrote:
HMF routinely remarked upon the success of this show in "reintroducing," for lack of a better word, the steel to the islands, at least in the context of the renaissance movement underway at that point
Interesting comment re the aged discussion of whether steel was greatly fading or not circa '73. Your statement lends further strong credence that it was in fact dying as many have asserted. This wasn't just a routine steel guitar show, there was no such thing in '73, it was even then a dramatic plea to save the instrument. And as far as a renaissance for the steel, that was virtually all Jerry Byrd's doing, with lot's of support from local players. That died with him.
I'll keep you info'd on my progress, John.

Anthony Locke

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 9:21 pm    

Thank you for sharing this recording, Norman!