The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Teach" without Steel? Shame!
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 7:50 pm    

I couldn't believe my ears watching Crosby Stills & Nash last night singing "Teach Your Children" with a guitarist trying to cover Jerry's steel parts. Is there no pedal steeler in NYC who's up to task. Shame! Mad
http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/7931

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 7:54 pm    

Plus they sang out of tune.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 7:57 pm    

"Teach Your Children"... they could'a hired this guy with the LinnStrument ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfDlEe0VfM&feature=youtu.be

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 8:52 pm    

Cool Doug, thats what I need. b0b haven't they been singing out of tune for years. Smile

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 9:12 pm    

Quote:
haven't they been singing out of tune for years

Yes, their live album "Four Way Street" was one of the worst live albums ever recorded IMO. A great studio band, but sloppy and out of tune live.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 10:36 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
haven't they been singing out of tune for years

Yes, their live album "Four Way Street" was one of the worst live albums ever recorded IMO. A great studio band, but sloppy and out of tune live.

Too bad they didn't have live pitch correction in those days.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 3:06 am    

I'm assuming Dean Parks is not with them. He usually plays steel on some songs on tour in the past. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 5:53 am    

I kinda thought the guy playing gtr pretty much nailed Garcia's tone on some of the licks...
Whether that's good or bad, I'm not so sure...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 6:26 am    

Craig Stock wrote:
I'm assuming Dean Parks is not with them. He usually plays steel on some songs on tour in the past. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Dean only plays with Crosby-Nash, not with Crosby-Stills-Nash.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 7:15 am    

Skip Edwards wrote:
I kinda thought the guy playing gtr pretty much nailed Garcia's tone on some of the licks...
Whether that's good or bad, I'm not so sure...

He was in the ballpark on tone. The licks, not so much. And Stills did a totally stupid solo.

I haven't been able to watch the whole thing. I turned off the TV in disgust, and I can't watch more than one minute of the online video. Are they stoned or what? They're really bad. It's embarrassing.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 7:17 am    

Now I don't feel so bad about not springing for the high-dollar tix to see them when they come out this way. I'm better off with my memories, it seems.

Having said that, I LOVED seeing the reunion of Buffalo Springfield a few years ago in Oakland. It was killer.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 7:42 am    

Quote:
I'm better off with my memories, it seems.

Jim, you said a mouthful.. Oh Well

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 3:12 pm    

I resisted the temptation of watching, but finally gave in. DAMN!! That was brutal. The only things worse was having to see and hear that no talent hack, Jimmy Fallon.

Per Berner

Skâvde, Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 3:38 am    

Wow. Way past their sell-by date, really painful. Worse than Dylan playing harmonica. But on the bright side, Jerry Garcia wasn't playing pedal steel. And Neil Young wasn't around either. Very Happy

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 6:13 am    

I kind of wish Jerry was there. At least we could have watched him play and possibly taken our attention away from the rest of the CRAP. Jerry may not have been the best, but he was certainly far better than what we saw here.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 6:43 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I kind of wish Jerry was there. At least we could have watched him play and possibly taken our attention away from the rest of the CRAP. Jerry may not have been the best, but he was certainly far better than what we saw here.

I think JG's presence would only add fuel to those who wish they'd been asked by CSN to do that solo. I turn up the radio everytime Teach comes on. I bet I'm not alone.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 8:28 am    

Quote:
The only things worse was having to see and hear that no talent hack, Jimmy Fallon.

Amen to that, Richard.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 9:11 am    

i thought the guitar covered it ok. after all, the steel parts aren't that earth shattering anyway.

my real question was, why are they on tv singing this song? who cares?
do something new or go away.

i've grown tired of fallon also.......but he does a great neil young.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 10:14 am    

chris ivey wrote:
i thought the guitar covered it ok. after all, the steel parts aren't that earth shattering anyway.

I disagree. They had a larger impact in the music world than most Nashville steel parts of the time. "Teach" legitimized pedal steel in the eyes of rock musicians. It was "earth shattering".

And if you think Jerry Garcia's steel parts in that song are easy to nail, you're a better player than I am. I've spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I almost had it, once.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 11:32 am    

My earth wasn't shattered. It seems that the only ones who were not impressed were the (experienced) steel players, but who ever cared about them? Oh Well

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 11:53 am    

b0b wrote:
chris ivey wrote:

I disagree. They had a larger impact in the music world than most Nashville steel parts of the time. "Teach" legitimized pedal steel in the eyes of rock musicians. It was "earth shattering".

And if you think Jerry Garcia's steel parts in that song are easy to nail, you're a better player than I am. I've spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I almost had it, once.

The licks themselves are not that difficult. It's the feeling and expression that Jerry put into it. While not the best of players, I could still listen to him for hours.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 5:37 am    

No doubt for me that Mr. Stills was great in his heyday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCCvL3Rtb9c

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 6:50 am    

I agree about Stills.

As an organist, I learned alot from that first CSN album. Still played the organ, and, while not being a chops-meister, he really knew how to use the Hammond as far as being creative without being technical. Check out Marrakesh Express, for example.

But the real thing for me is his bass playing. He did all the bass on that first LP, and I think it's the best, most melodic and creative bass I've heard this side of James Jamerson.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 7:56 am    

I heard/saw them a couple of years ago, from the patio of a hotel/restaurant I was staying at, on an adjoining pier on the harbor - turned out to be a nice show for the price of a few drinks and hors d'oerves. In general, the show was good - harmonies tight, good mix, Stills was having a good night on guitar. But when Teach came up, no steel - a guitarist did the parts. It wasn't bad, but I probably woulda' been annoyed if I had payed the big ticket price (it was sold out) and fought city traffic and crowds to see them. Still I think, for the most part, that only steel players or people who are really into steel are gonna get worked up about it.

In general, I don't think old bands like this need to recreate every old song exactly like the original. If I was in that situation, I'd hate having that expectation shoved on me. But I think having a utility player who could cover some of the eclectic multiple instrument parts like this would be a good idea. I wouldn't care if they got all the licks as-original, but copping the basic sound and feel would add a lot. I mean, Teach is, at a lot of levels, anthemic for them, and I thought it was the low point of the night. Judging by the ticket prices and the number of people in the audience, I also imagine they could afford it.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 11:37 am    

The vocals on that Tonight Show performance remind me a lot of Lester "Roadhog" Moran and the Cadillac Cowboys.