The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Traditional Country Show, Nashville July 19
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 7:46 pm    

Here's one way to get real country music back in Nashville........import it! I'll be there. Terry Crisp will be the staff steel player.

RC

From Tracy Pitcox:

The Heart of Texas Roadshow will be staged at the Texas Troubadour Theater at 2416 Music Valley Drive in Nashville, on Saturday, July 19, The show begins at 2:00 PM and admission is $15 per person. Tickets are now on sale by calling (615) 889-2474. Tickets will also be available at the door the day of the performance.

The entertainment this year will be full of Traditional Country Music legends including Darrell McCall, Tony Booth, Curtis Potter, Pretty Miss Norma Jean, George Hamilton IV, Dottsy, Diane McCall, Bobby G. Rice, Mona McCall, Georgette Jones, Bobby Lewis, Kimberly Murray and Bob Manning.

Pretty Miss Norma Jean was a part of the Porter Wagoner television show as well as the Ozark Jubilee. She recorded many successful projects for RCA Records, before joining Heart of Texas Records and releasing “Loneliest Star In Texas” “Cowboy Church Gospel” and her latest “Aged To Perfection.”
Darrell McCall is a legendary Texas dance hall entertainer with many hits to his credit including “Dreams of A Dreamer” “It’s The Water” “There’s Still A Lot of Love In San Antone” and his duet with Willie Nelson on “Lily Dale.” His latest album is “Keeping With Tradition.” Darrell’s wife Mona will also join him on stage. Mona released her first album “Memories Love A Melody” five years ago.

Tony Booth gained fame by working for Buck Owens as a front man and bass player. He branched out on his own with major hits including “Cinderella” “Keys In The Mailbox” “Close Up The Honkytonks” and “Lonesome 7-7203.” His latest project is titled “The Other Side of Love.”
Curtis Potter traveled all over the world beginning in 1959 as a member of Hank Thompson’s Brazos Valley Boys. He has enjoyed some great success with songs including “Texas Proud” “You Comb Her Hair Every Morning” and his latest project “The Potter’s Touch” allowed him to make his debut appearance on the Grand Ole Opry.

After spending over 50 years as a member of the Grand Ole Opry, Grand Ole Opry Star George Hamilton IV has released two albums on Heart of Texas Records including his latest gospel project with his son George Hamilton V.

Dottsy had numerous hit records on RCA including “I’ll Be Your San Antone Rose” “After Sweet Memories Play Born To Loose Again” and “Storms Never Last”. She recently signed with Heart of Texas Records and her debut album “Meet Me In Texas” is already doing very well. Bobby Lewis recorded for United Artists throughout the 1960’s, Lewis garnered chart records with “How Long Has It Been?” “From Heaven To Heartache” and “Hello Mary Lou.”
The daughter of George Jones and Tammy Wynette, Georgette Jones has recorded three solo albums with special tributes to both of her parents while touring literally all over the world.

Now residing in Orange, Texas, Kimberly Murray has released her third project “A World Away” and a duet album with her husband Bob Manning titled “One Night Only. Bobby G. Rice composed his biggest hit “You Lay So Easy On My Mind.” The million selling song would later be recorded by Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Roy Orbison, Pat Boone and even Jerry Springer. His new album it titled “Down In Texas.” Diane McCall enjoyed working on the road with Charlie Louvin and released her first CD last year titled “My Imagination.”

For more information about the Heart of Texas Country Music Association, log on to www.heartoftexascountry.com.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 10:46 am    

That'll be cool. But, There are traditional country bands working here. I happen to work steady with 2 and sub with a couple others. Generally I don't say anything but when it affects my livelihood I think I have a right to say something. Yes it's not as much as it used to be but it's still going on here in the clubs and things. And if you lived and worked here you would know that. Very Happy

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 3:20 pm    

Yes Mr. Sweeney is right. There's still some traditional country scattered around Nashville. I just think it's nice to see a show with this many popular name traditional artist performing in the theater type setting (like the Palace where I enjoyed watching Mr. Sweeney perform) rather than a bar where there is so much background noise, or at a dance. I commend Tracy Pitcox and the ET Record Shop for promoting this. I don't see the local Nashville traditional artist doing this type of show. If they would, I'd spend my money to attend. The Opry seems to have gone more new country.

I'm surprised that there is not more forum response regarding this show. Where are all you traditional country fans? Darrell McCall, Tony Booth, Curtis Potter, Norma Jean, Kimberly Murray, etc...what more do you want?

RC

Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 4:23 pm    

The line up sounds great, but I feel the expense now days puts a limit on how far I go, even though I have a daughter in Franklin Tn.And my son in law worke for Maranda Lambert. (spelling ? )

Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 4:24 pm    

The line up sounds great, but I feel the expense now days puts a limit on how far I go, even though I have a daughter in Franklin Tn.And my son in law worke for Maranda Lambert. (spelling ? )

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 7:42 pm    

Darrell,

Yes, that is a long way to travel. BTW: I'll be up your way next week for a couple of days on business..... Actually across the river in Wisconsin but that direction anyway. This show is advertised as a "road show". Maybe they will get up your way at some point.

RC

Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 3:43 am    

Hey there Rick let me know. Where in Wisconsin ?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 4:51 am     Traditional Country Show Nashville July 19.

How do we find out if it really is a "road" show and has other venues scheduled? Any website? How about getting in touch with the singers or Terry Crisp.

I would really like to see this show. Tony Booth and Daryl McCall are the big draws for me. I played in a pick up band for Norma Jean one time.

Nashville is a 4.5 hour drive for me and I am free on the 19th. Bummer is that gas is just too high. I would probably spend $100.00 on gas, plus a meal or two. Add all this to the ticket price of $15.00 and it is way, way more than I would pay to see a show.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 5:59 am    

http://hillbillyhits.com/

RC

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 4:26 pm    

Darrell Schmidt wrote:
Hey there Rick let me know. Where in Wisconsin ?

I'll be in in Tomah, WI tomorrow morning, and flying out tomorrow afternoon. Short trip this time.

RC

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 5:37 am    

I talked to the ET Record Shop. Advance ticket sales have been great and they expect a large attendance. I'm really looking forward to this one. I expect to see a lot of the Nashville players there. At least I know when Dicky Overbey shows up to play with Amber Digby, steel guitar players/fans come out to watch.

BTW: the midnight jamboree will be hosted by "The Survivors" Darrell McCall, Tony Booth, and Curtis Potter. You can listen on the radio, or on the Internet live.

RC

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 6:28 am     Country Music

I am with Rick I would like to sit down and watch a good country music show. If playing in honky tonks and bars are your thing then go for it.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA

I am with Rick I would like to sit down and watch a good country music show. If playing in honky tonks and bars are your thing then go for it.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 3:24 pm    

Well, the show was great. Packed house at the Texas Troubadour Theater. It was ALL TRADITIONAL COUNTRY. The band (listed below) was great. A change of steel players, but Cookie Jones certainly got the job done. I can't say enough good about Greg Galbraith on guitar. Greg plays with such good taste and super tone. Greg is a master for sure. I could go on and on, but just say all the band played great and when they were supposed to. Many thanks to Tracy Pitcox for everything he and his record label do to keep traditional country alive.

I've been invited downtown to 3rd and Lindsey for the Phil Bradbury's Little Walter Amp Jam. Some good players there...Brent Mason, Randy Kohrs, Andy Reiss, Danny Huff, Dan Tyack, etc... Then I'll be back for the Survivors at the Midnight Jamboree.

RC

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 5:47 pm    

Hi Rick I wanrt to get my two cents in here. That is not new Country you can not fool a old fox like me That is plan old Junk Rock and roll Junk Music. We have more old country here in Rhode Island and Massachussetts than Nashville has and We have a bundle of Steel players. The Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association alone has 39 t0 40 Steel players and I mean Steel players and The New Englan Steel Guitar Association has about another 5 to 8 Steel players they are all great steel players but me I'm not that good you should know that from The Steel Guitar Jams Anna and I started down there in Greenevill Tn. Area and Tony Digus and Mike Archer have been doing a great job of keeping it going.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 4:17 pm    

Hate I missed the show. I was in Nashville two weeks ago on Bussiness. I was there with three other guys that have never been to Nashville and weren't really country music fans. I took them down to Lower Broadway just to let them see what it was all about.We walked down one side and up the other. We would pop in and out of all the Bars to see what was going on. The whole night I only saw and heard one Steel Guitar player. I didn't get his name, but he was playing the dog out of an old Sho-Bud. It was worth the walk just to hear him play a few songs. Most of what we heard was 70s and 80s Rock. I didn't really know any of the songs but the three guys I was with knew them all. What was wrong with that picture. There were a few country bands but no Steel. I did see some steel guitar out at the Nashville Palace. I didn't have much time to listen. But he sound awesome what little I heard. I didn't get his name either. So if you know either guy you may want to give them a plug.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 6:28 am    

Well that is funny how Texas is taking Traditional Country Music to Nashville & Nashville is taking the New crap to Texas by way of The Academy Of Country Music at the AT&T in Dallas 2015 Award Show for it's 50th. Whoa! I guess the Cowboys & Indian days are over too! Winking The God Father Of Southern California Country Music,Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the Pigeons -facebook.

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 8:04 pm     Traditional Country

It takes about 3.5 to 4 hours depending on construction to get to the ET shop on music valley drive from home here in Knoxville, Rick and his better half and mine and myself did a show in Knoxville...broke down and loaded in the rain and drove there just in time to get a great seat and hear Mike Johnson, Leon Rhodes, Mikes wife Joanie and other great musicians back up my all time favorite singer and sweetest woman with a kindest heart Ms...Leona Williams!!!