The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update on Emmons Guitar Company
Larry Henson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 2:18 pm    

I sympathize with you guys having problems with the Emmons Guitar Company. Here is my experience of an order, two years ago, when I ordered a new Legrande III. I sent in my order and deposit and was quoted a 6 month delivery date. I think it was 6 months and about 2 weeks later that I was notified my guitar was ready for shipping. I sent the balance due and received the guitar in about 5 days. Ms. Rebecca told me the two week delay was due to a critical family illness.
I don't know what happens with the order process in dealing with companies. Maybe it could be a problem with communications between buyers and sellers or a who sends the cash first situation.
This is only MY experience in dealing with the Emmons Company. I hope that the ones having problems can get it worked out. Emmons Guitars are consistently very good and desirable pedal steels. This is only my experience for whatever it is worth!!!
Larry

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 3:40 pm    

Mike Cass,

I for one sincerely hope you reconsider your decision to stop posting on the SGF and deleting your account.

I have no dog in this hunt; I’ve never met you or had any work done by you—but I have listened to you play (superbly) with Ray Price, and right there that puts you on the very top shelf of steel guitar players!

- You are also a well-recognized expert in the repair and restoration of Emmons steel guitars, and we always need people with your level of expertise on the SGF.
- You have provided excellent repair advice in your posts and have even offered to help people do their own repairs over the phone for no charge, which makes you a very fine and gracious fellow in my book!
- You are a obviously a huge fan of Buddy Emmons, as am I. (But then you’ve been to The Man’s house!)
- You still play an Emmons, so you must love them—as do I (1971 P/P for many years).
The Web is a great way to communicate with people from around the world, but it is difficult with only the written word and no other cues for many people to communicate exactly what they mean. IMO, it takes a skilled writer to do that, and not all of us are skilled writers.

You have a tremendous amount of playing and repair skills and stories that you have been sharing, and I believe the SGF will be much poorer if you leave.

I can understand if you choose to take a little break from posting until this kerfuffle dies down. But I sincerely hope you will change your mind about deleting your account.

Sincerely,
Dave

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 3:58 pm    

It is clear that the Lashleys are having serious problems, but unfair to assume intent to defraud. A person who has paid for a product deserves to get that product.But this is not the first time a maker or seller of our boutique instrument has gone down. It's not like dealing with a solidly capitalized corporation. Builders create pedal steel because they love the instrument; they never get rich doing it.

But why beat up on Mike Cass?Treat him with the respect he deserves. And if you are a person of faith, say a prayer for the Lashleys.

Any possibility of other builders buying out the assets and name if the family can't continue?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 4:19 pm    

This is not the first time, that has been publicly aired, about non delivery of an ordered and paid for guitar from the current Emmons Guitar Co ownership. There may be no intent to defraud but that is what apparently is happening. Apparent non response to a State Government inquiry makes it that much serious.

I too do not feel Mike Cass should leave the forum. Mike apparently feels he is taking the heat for the Emmons company shortcomings.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 10:28 pm     Emmons Co.

The Lashley's daughter has had serious health problems, in the past. And I can understand the turmoil this can create, with trying to run a business, and keep your kid alive.......And to add a Thumbs Up, to Mike Cass. He does know his business, when it comes to building, or playing a steel guitar......So, don't leave us Mike, we'll sure miss your advice, and helpful commentary.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 10:52 pm    

Mike Cass has MEGA knowledge on Emmons Guitars. He is a master steel mechanic. One of the best in the country.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 7:03 am    

Yeh Mike, don't let a few mud slinging you know what's run you off the forum. You are a very valuable asset not only to us Emmons players but to all steel players. I learned in the military that there is always that 10% that you can't please if you hung them with a new rope and that had always held true all my life. I just ignore them. I can vouch for your character, honesty and expertise and so can the other 90% on the forum but there is always going to be that 10% so just keep on chugging.

As far as the people not getting their guitars, simple, sue the company and become part owner. Cool

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 9:21 am    

Dave Magram wrote:
Mike Cass,

I for one sincerely hope you reconsider your decision to stop posting on the SGF and deleting your account.

I have no dog in this hunt; I’ve never met you or had any work done by you—but I have listened to you play (superbly) with Ray Price, and right there that puts you on the very top shelf of steel guitar players!

- You are also a well-recognized expert in the repair and restoration of Emmons steel guitars, and we always need people with your level of expertise on the SGF.
- You have provided excellent repair advice in your posts and have even offered to help people do their own repairs over the phone for no charge, which makes you a very fine and gracious fellow in my book!
- You are a obviously a huge fan of Buddy Emmons, as am I. (But then you’ve been to The Man’s house!)
- You still play an Emmons, so you must love them—as do I (1971 P/P for many years).
The Web is a great way to communicate with people from around the world, but it is difficult with only the written word and no other cues for many people to communicate exactly what they mean. IMO, it takes a skilled writer to do that, and not all of us are skilled writers.

You have a tremendous amount of playing and repair skills and stories that you have been sharing, and I believe the SGF will be much poorer if you leave.

I can understand if you choose to take a little break from posting until this kerfuffle dies down. But I sincerely hope you will change your mind about deleting your account.

Sincerely,
Dave

+1. Well said, Dave.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 9:52 am    

I agree with Henry. Please reconsider, Mike. We need your input on this forum. To most of us, you are a very well respected, and trusted, person.

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 11:40 am     i too am behind Mike ..

First off I must say I am not involved in this ongoing emmons issue in any way. I am here to back up Mikes reputation, honesty, and sincerety. Mike built my dream guitar originally and made some copedant changes for me as well. He was constantly in touch thru the entire deal to assure I was happy with my new Bud. I have called him on several occasions with various other issues and he is ALWAYS there to help, as I am sure he will continue to be. Mike is a super guitar mechanic and his expertise is unquestionably at the top of the heap. I certainly hope we do not lose that wealth of knowledge to our common love of pedal steel guitars. While we will continue to have different opinions on any topic, let us not lose any of those that we may all learn something from. Respectfully. Shawn - keep us posted on any developments on your guitar. I wish you the best outcome. Zeke

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 11:57 am    

Flameproof Underwear for Sale....

I second what Kevin and Zeke had to say.

Tony Smart

Harlow. Essex. England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 3:51 am    

Please reconsider Mike.
Don't punish the rest of us, - your expertise is too valuable to lose here.

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 5:43 am    

With all due respect to Mike, this topic has gone way off course. This is not about Mike, it's about Shawn and his issues with Emmons, if anyone wants to plead with Mike, I think it needs to be taken to a new topic.

But this isn't surprising, it seems every time a person has a valid complaint against Emmons, the "well-wishers" come on and flood the topic with "it ain't so's". I'm sorry, but this isn't right, the man has money involved and I dare say some of the "well-wishers" would not be as accommodating as they are if their money was involved. If it was an isolated incident, maybe not so much, but the Forum is littered with stories of Emmons issues, it needs to stop. Producing one PSG a month is not a business, it's a hobby.

Shawn, if you can/will send me copies of your complaints with the NC Attorney Generals office, I will forward to the Secretary of State to investigate Emmons corporate license. In my opinion, this needs to stop and stop now. No one, I repeat, no one, should have to go through something like this.

My two cents, YMMV.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 2:35 pm    

Quote:
This is not about Mike, it's about Shawn and his issues with Emmons, if anyone wants to plead with Mike, I think it needs to be taken to a new topic.

Well said. Thank you!

Private email would be even better.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2014 2:07 pm    

Mike, I apologize. You didn't start the thread. You didn't need to insult me, though.
As far as my interest in the Emmons Company, I hate to see this Company close its doors. Especially under the circumstances. The "Emmons" brand Steel guitars, are still the yardstick by which most others are measured. You have a nice day, now, OK?

Here's the thread I was referring to.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=259825&highlight=

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2014 5:24 pm    

Well I do hope Shawn gets his money back or a new
guitar. That's a lot of dinero to lose. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 5:38 pm    

I think the best thing to would be to sell "Emmons Co" to some wealthy Texas millionaire who can set up a steady production of "Emmons" steel guitars...that way everyone would be happy, Lashleys would get some dinneros, and buyers their guitars, and for a wealthy Texas millionaire, he would own an iconic company, and have lots of fun...

Db

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 7:07 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
I think the best thing to would be to sell "Emmons Co" to some wealthy Texas millionaire who can set up a steady production of "Emmons" steel guitars...that way everyone would be happy, Lashleys would get some dinneros, and buyers their guitars, and for a wealthy Texas millionaire, he would own an iconic company, and have lots of fun...

Db

... and have a nice tax shelter for some of his obscene oil/gas/energy dividend income. Let me talk to some of my buddies. More later. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 8:11 pm    

Steady production in any steel company is way over. It's been said before here. There is no money in making steel guitars. The market is MUCH too small.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 8:15 pm    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
Steady production in any steel company is way over. It's been said before here. There is no money in making steel guitars. The market is MUCH too small.

"All you need is love, love,
Love is all you need..."

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 2:46 am    

No one is going to get rich building Pedal Steel Guitars. But, if you accept payment, the goods need to be delivered. If you can't deliver, don't accept payment.

Bruce Zumsteg, a couple years ago stopped taking orders due to a large backlog. That was the honorable thing to do. He could have continued taking orders and $$ and not delivered or delivered after an extended delay but he chose to not accept any new orders.

The company in the subject of this thread has a history of taking orders and $$ and not delivering, based on posts over the last several years. They have also delivered OK but the fact there have been any (or more than one) suggests deep problems. The first instance I recall, on here, was the person in Italy that never got the ordered and paid for Emmons, although another guitar company stepped up and built and sent him a guitar.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 5:18 am    

Should I need a Emmons guitar, I would buy either from a forum member or Billy Cooper or someone with one in stock. I would never order one, not even from a "dealer".

Ordering from Emmons Guitar Company is like petting a rattlesnake. Some folks have done it and gotten away OK. I would get bit!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 6:30 am    

Bill, that's somewhat short-sighted. Some of the dealers make the guitars they sell. So there's no problem there.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 6:55 am    

Anybody got a list of all the "official" Emmons dealers?

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 7:32 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Bill, that's somewhat short-sighted. Some of the dealers make the guitars they sell. So there's no problem there.

Lane, I guess I just fell off the turnip truck. I am not aware that there are dealers who build ground up, new Emmons guitars. I know there are some folks who rebuild and customize them, "them", meaning used Emmons guitars. But I sure didn't know they were authentic brand new Emmons guitars. Looks like I learned something, and it's still early!

As for buying a rebuilt customized guitar from a dealer I could go that route.

There are too many very good pedal steel guitars that can be bought to wait one, two, or more years while one is custom built. Three months should be enough lead time.

Actually I am somewhat far sighted, but I have contacts to correct for that.