Author Topic:  Update on Emmons Guitar Company
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 2:14 am    

Finally!!

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 3:45 am    

Thank you for posting the follow-up info, Shawn.

Congrats on the follow thru. Very sad...

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 6:25 am     Hmmmmm....

Being a "getting back into" older guy, I am disappointed that Emmons has had this kind of issue. I was looking at their website when I was looking for a guitar and kind of considered checking them out. For instance they have one shown on their website. How is a guy suppose to know what and who to do business with in this day and time? We all know things happen but we all just want what we paid for and reasonable service.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 7:12 am    

Wayne, at least one or two of the Emmons dealers actually make the guitars they sell, so that delivery of a new Emmons isn't a problem.
It DOES appear that Junior has difficulty in TCB. Unfortunate.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 7:25 am    

Shawn Sprouse wrote:
Well a lot has happened since I posted last, so here is the latest. On August 28 2014 Emmons Guitar Company was served and was scheduled to appear in small claims court on September 17th at 9:40 am. I received a letter from Emmons on Sept.8th acknowledging the court date and stating that my guitar was near completion. In short I fired back my letter of response which they received on Sept. 12th. It basically stated they either had to show up with the money or the guitar or I would go ahead with the case. I drove to Graham,NC on the 16th and was at the courthouse by 8:30 on the 17th fully prepared for a battle. The judge asked why we were there today and I had a list of 12 bullet points to cover, so i preceded down the list. When I got through with my list, the judge looked at Mr. Lashley and said, Mr Lashley do you agree with his timeline? Then came the words I never thought I would hear. Ron said yes sir I do! Then the judge asked him, Do you realize that you gave this man several completion dates? Ron said, yes sir I do! Ron agreed in court that everything I said was true. Ron also said he had the guitar in the truck and that he had been working on it the night before and that he was late getting to court because he was working on it that morning too. Anyway the judge asked if I would take the guitar if it was to my specs. Which I replied I would but I had to check it out first. They granted us a continuance til noon so Ron and I could go back to the shop and check it out. The guitar played pretty good, but needed a knee lever reworked and there was another thing I don't think he thought I noticed. It was the mica was ragged on the bottom edge. It will need to be sanded. As the old saying goes a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I weighed my options and figured I better take it and run. If not I would have to chase him for the money and the expense would be more than it would be worth. I'm now through with Emmons and want nothing else to do with them. Dave Robbins is going to check this guitar out for me and I know it will be fine once he goes through it. It is a shame that it took going to court to get something done. Now my case is documented and all I can say is buyer beware! There is another gentleman in Texas that I have been in contact with, that is having the same issue. Money paid and no guitar. He ordered his about 6 months after I did. He is being told story after story as well and from the sounds of it his guitar hasn't been started either. They are giving him a line they gave me about waiting on castings. Anyway this whole nightmare is finally over! Never again will I deal with this company. For the ones that supported me through this ordeal....THANK YOU!

You shouldn't have had to take him to court to get your guitar. That's just wrong. Mad

I can't in good conscience keep their link in my list of manufacturers. I've deleted it. Sad

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 8:34 am    

Shawn, FWIW, I'm glad that this is over for you. I sure hope that you can enjoy the guitar.

b0b wrote:
You shouldn't have had to take him to court to get your guitar. That's just wrong. Mad

I can't in good conscience keep their link in my list of manufacturers. I've deleted it. Sad

b0b, that's just right.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 9:51 am    

pain and suffering...$10,000 !!

emmons deleted from the 'steel guitar' forum.
well done!!

let them start back from scratch building a new reputation.
better yet, how about making good on all the outstanding orders and then sell the company before they create more misery in the name of commerce.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 10:09 am    

..and it is sad!

the emmons name has long been synonymous with the highest standard of the steel guitar world.

the 'man' has held true to that position.

the 'guitar company' has not.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 7:28 pm    

Glad to hear you got your guitar shawn. T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 5:31 pm    

Thanks for following up Shawn, glad you got your guitar. It's just a darn shame on such a good name.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 8:26 pm     Re: Answer to questions.

Shawn Sprouse wrote:
I will never use another Emmons product as long as live and If this guitar shows up tomorrow, it will be sold immediately.

Shawn,
I'm glad that you finally got your guitar. Do you still plan on selling it?

Mitch

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 10:00 am    

I hope that the failure of the Emmons Guitar Company hasn't caused any embarassment for Buddy. He had the foresight to introduce a great guitar line, and the fact that his successors couldn't keep the company alive shouldn't be any reflection on him. Sad

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 10:43 am    

Alan, I'm pretty sure that most people in the steel guitar world know that Buddy has had no meaningful affiliation with Emmons Guitar for 30 years or more, and that it's the Lashley's company.

Shawn Sprouse

LaVergne,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 4:39 pm     Re: Answer to questions.

Mitch Ellis wrote:
Shawn Sprouse wrote:
I will never use another Emmons product as long as live and If this guitar shows up tomorrow, it will be sold immediately.

Shawn,
I'm glad that you finally got your guitar. Do you still plan on selling it?

Mitch

Well Mitch...... In all honesty I was ticked off when I said it and I'm not over it yet. I was done wrong plain and simple. I have a lot of folks telling me to just cool down and hang on to it and let the dust settle and see how I feel about it later on. I had a visit with Mike Cass this evening and he said pretty much the same thing. There is no disputing it is a good guitar...even if the changer has a pit in it and one of the rods appears to be having a thread catching on the changer,which is an easy fix. Anyway Mike and I had a good conversation and I feel a little calmer about the whole deal. Still torn up that it all had to come down like it did and I couldn't be told a straight story from the beginning by a company that I have always considered to be "The Best" steel guitar manufacture out there. So I guess at the moment I'm going to take the advice from some good folks that are on the outside looking in and take a step back and give it some time to settle down. If I still feel the same as I do now, I will put it up for sale at what I paid for it. I still have no plans to play this thing out on a gig at this time or for that mater take it out of the case except to do what Mike and I discussed. I prefer to play this one!

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2014 7:07 pm    

That sounds like a good plan, Shawn. And that's a good lookin' Mullen! You would be hard pressed to find a better steel guitar than a Mullen.

Mitch

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2014 1:04 am    

thanks for the update Shawn...not many would have followed thru like you did . In my mind it is not about the money in these cases...although money matters, principle far outweighs cash to me.

To my eyes and reading, a special moment of buying/ordering a special instrument was placed in the mud...I wouldn't keep it either...

Congrats to you Shawn...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Shawn Sprouse

LaVergne,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 8:51 pm    

I have been contacted by others that are having the same issue I have had with Emmons and they are wanting to know what process I used to bring it to a close. One of the guys that contacted me, said he ordered 2 LGIII in2005,paid 10% down and then a year later was told they were done and to send the rest of the money. He said he sent payment in full at that time and didn't receive the first one until 2013 and still hasn't received the second one. Another guy ordered his guitar a few months after mine, paid for it and still hasn't received his. He said he is getting the same run around I was getting. I actually saw a letter to this effect. So that leads me to tell the steps I had to take to get results. This has to stop!

here are the steps I used and helped create a paper trail:

1. Saved emails
2. I kept in contact as much as I could and left messages to show how long this has been going on.( you can take phone records to court but I chose not to because I had a lot of evidence already.)
3. I communicated the steps to them I was about to take, just so they couldn't say they didn't know.
4. I filed with NCDOJ This helped keep a paper trail and the judge seemed to notice that I tried everything I could before going to court. http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/6a32a2f6-80ad-4f63-8c1a-75704e622f96/Consumer.aspx

Keep this in mind for your next steps.
Regardless of where you live, you have to file your case in the county the business is located in. Emmons is located in Alamance county. Which this will require you to travel on your court date to Graham, NC or you will lose your case for not showing up. Also keep this in mind....In North Carolina each county sets it's own small claims ceiling. The max amount you can sue for in Alamance county is $5000.
alamance County Website
http://www.alamance-nc.com/clerkofcourt/divisions/civil-division/small-claims-court/

Shawn Sprouse

LaVergne,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 9:06 pm    

This is the form search page so you can get your forms to mail in and save you a trip.
http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/FormSearch.asp

You need form AOC-CVM-100 and form AOC-CVM-200

5.I filled with the court the forms listed above and sent a check for $126 this covers court cost and the Sheriff charge for delivery of the summons.
6. Be sure you are prepared with all of the evidence you have gathered from the steps above and then present your case.( A bullet points list really helps here)

* note *
This is very laid back but still a court of law so dress nice. You don't need a suit but look like you respect the court. Court starts promptly and moves fast. If you are late you will lose your case do to default. You have about 10 minutes to 15 minutes to make your case. You do not need a lawyer for this, although you can use one. I did not use one. So be prepared. It is your responsibility to show proof of wrong doing. When you get there court is held in the basement of the courthouse and seating is limited to about 20 people at a time. This is a very small room and people constantly moving in and out. I was a newbie to court, so it was a little intimidating. Just remember you will sit on the right facing the judge and whoever you sue will sit on the left.

Hopefully this helps and answers some of the questions I have been getting. Good luck!!!
If you need input on a close, nice and cheap hotel to the courthouse and a recommendation on where to eat while there let me know. Smile

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 8:25 am    

un-real, Thanks for the follow up.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 10:23 am    

Wow. You would have spent $150 or more to a lawyer for the info Shawn has given.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 11:05 am    

There are other ways that are legal as well. You can contact your local Sheriffs dept and file an out of state fraud charge then get the Sheriffs office involved where they live.. We did this once when a client wrote bad checks at a local trade show. The issue was resolved in one business day...

Money changed hands, a contract and terms were agreed on and one party didn't meet the terms...thats fraud anyway you look at it. A simple call to your local Sheriffs dept may answer a ton of questions at no cost...If money and agreements were done by US mail that can also enter into mail fraud...

Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2014 4:51 pm     Topic: Update on Emmons Guitar Company

OK forum folks. I have been a member here about one week and someone who I exchanged emails with told me about this thread. Well I just read about 3-4 pages of postings and am feeling rather nauseous.

In regard to your comment about Emmons, I owned Andy's Guitars in Miami and Tallahassee, Fl. for 18 years, a brick and mortar store which I closed about 8 months ago.

A while back (years), I contacted Emmons about becoming an authorized dealer and dealt with Ron Lashley Jr. He was very happy I called and told me he would love to make me a dealer. He explained that they required a $200.00 non-refundable deposit per guitar with a 2 guitar opening order which I was happy to accept. I sent them a check. That was the last time I heard from him or his "company".

I attempted to call them and email them. They never returned calls or answered emails. I know that they did the same thing to a LARGE DEALER with a well known store in Canada.

Just thought everyone should know they've done this to some "dealers" also.

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2014 2:03 pm     A thank you to Shawn Sprouse

I have been following this thread off and on and I want to thank Shawn Sprouse for his sharing his story.

As awkward as his story is. This is the place where people that really care about PSG's come to interact.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2014 2:19 am     Re: Topic: Update on Emmons Guitar Company

Andy Eder wrote:
OK forum folks. I have been a member here about one week and someone who I exchanged emails with told me about this thread. Well I just read about 3-4 pages of postings and am feeling rather nauseous.

In regard to your comment about Emmons, I owned Andy's Guitars in Miami and Tallahassee, Fl. for 18 years, a brick and mortar store which I closed about 8 months ago.

A while back (years), I contacted Emmons about becoming an authorized dealer and dealt with Ron Lashley Jr. He was very happy I called and told me he would love to make me a dealer. He explained that they required a $200.00 non-refundable deposit per guitar with a 2 guitar opening order which I was happy to accept. I sent them a check. That was the last time I heard from him or his "company".

I attempted to call them and email them. They never returned calls or answered emails. I know that they did the same thing to a LARGE DEALER with a well known store in Canada.

Just thought everyone should know they've done this to some "dealers" also.

MAIL FRAUD. People go to jail for this. Contact your Fl Post Master General and the the NC Post Master Generals office. Contract, and money sent by check which is HUGE...

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2014 3:07 am    

This is really so sad. As a Tarheel by birth I was proud that one of the finest steel guitars made came from my home state. Clearly what is happening is musical chairs with money - the money person B sends in to get a new guitar is used to make person A's, which was ordered previously. That probably means that for whatever reason they really are not making much (any?) money anymore. I feel bad for the Lashley's, they probably hate this situation as much as anyone. But I REALLY feel bad for the ones getting burned. Sooner or later the music will stop, and you hope you have your guitar when it does. Or, perhaps they are down-sizing to meet reduced demand - if they sell their building maybe they would then have the capital to finish their existing orders. I gather a lot of the work is now out-sourced (and if not, could easily be). There is a glimmer of hope that this grand old company may come through this. I wish them, and all those waiting for their guitars the best of luck.