The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BC to AB pedal transition
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 9:36 am    

This might seem kinda goofy to ask, but you never know.

I had a tune come up which uses an Amin to C major as part of the chord progression.

It kinda has to be legato - there is no rest there.

Best I can tell, there's no way to go (Fret 3, B+C) to ( Fret 3, A+B) without having that G ( Fret 3, no pedals ) sound without using both feet.

Things are great at fret 8 - A pedal to no pedals but I kinda wanted a lower inversion of this. There's a higher inversion with ( Fret 13, E lower ) to (Fret 11, F+A ) but that's not a lower inversion.

Might be time to sub in a two-string thing there, or just slide up to the open 7th fret for the C major. It's behind the vocal, so I don't want too much motion.

I was just curious if there's some dark secret of sliding over the to AB pedal while leaving the B pedal engaged. I have not been able to make that work.

I tried leaving the A in as a sixth against the C chord. Meh. I can always block the 4th string...

Ron Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:00 am     bc to ab

I have tom brumley setup .the front lkl lever changes 4 string from f to f#.which eliminates goin from bc pedal to ab.just a thought.
ZB CUSTOM D-11,PEAVEY SESSION 400,PEAVEY NASHVILLE 1000,FENDER LESLIE,FENDER TELECASTER,GOODRICH PEDAL,ALESIS MICROVERB 4,ALESIS QUADRAVERB, ART MULTIVERB, PEAVEY DUAL DELTAFEX, PEAVEY DELTAFEX,BOSS CS-3 SUSTAINER.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:00 am    

Try a DOWN slide from 3AB to 1 with lowered Es.
Due to the 2nd string lower and the 1st string, the lowered Es (G#m at the nut) is my favorite minor position.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:16 am    

BC + 2nd string whole tone lower (strings 6, 4, 2)

~ to ~

B + 2nd sting lower (same strings)

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:29 am    

If you have a way to lower the 6th string 1/2 step (possibly a B pedal/F# lower split?) you can do Am at the 5th fret by lowering 6 and slide down to AB at the 3rd fret.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:33 am    

Oops.I had the transition backwards, thinking you wanted to go from C to Am. I SHOULD have said an upwards transition from 1/Es lowered to 3AB.
If you lower 6 a whole tone, 1/lowered Es to 1/lowered Es/lowered 6.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:44 am    

To play the Am chord you can just stay on the A&B floor pedals, with the bar at the 3rd fret, and hit the seventh string, along with strings 5 & 6. That's an Am chord.

If you need a higher inversion Am chord try dropping the bar two frets, to the first fret, release the floor pedals and bring in the knee lever lowering the Es. Now you can use any combination of strings 10, 8, & 6-3 to get whatever inversion you need. With practice you can learn to make a smooth transition from the C chord at the third fret to the Am chord at the first fret.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 7 Jul 2014 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:46 am    

My copedent (StageOne) that's LKR at first fret for Am, then A+B at 3rd fret for C.

I kinda like hitting that open G at 3rd fret when switching between C & Am without changing frets...but it's not always appropriate for the phrase.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 3:45 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
To play the Am chord you can just stay on the A&B floor pedals, with the bar at the 3rd fret, and hit the seventh string, along with strings 5 & 6. That's an Am chord.

If you need a higher inversion Am chord try dropping the bar two frets, to the first fret, release the floor pedals and bring in the knee lever lowering the Es. Now you can use any combination of strings 10, 8, & 6-3 to get whatever inversion you need. With practice you can learn to make a smooth transition from the C chord at the third fret to the Am chord at the first fret.

and

Lane Gray wrote:
Oops.I had the transition backwards, thinking you wanted to go from C to Am. I SHOULD have said an upwards transition from 1/Es lowered to 3AB.
If you lower 6 a whole tone, 1/lowered Es to 1/lowered Es/lowered 6.

Yep - of course. You can always slide down two frets and use the E lower instead of the BC pedals. I had *completely forgotten that*. I'd even said in my original post "I use 13 with E lowered..."

I think I need to drill on minors again.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 5:48 pm    

Here's my take on Summertime, with (I think: I'm busy listening to a stream so I'm linking without revisiting) a discussion of what I'm doing and thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJ6tGucw6k
Hope it helps

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 8:20 pm    

You might like the voicing of:

Fret 3 strings 4 6 9 pedals B+C+ 9th string lower to C#..... rock on and off the C pedal.

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 10:34 pm    

Les
I understand what you are after as I was (once) too.
So I changed my setup so my LKR pulls the G#'s (open) down to get a minor so Am (5th fret) down to C (3rd with AB) is simple.
I know there are minor positions all over the place but sometimes they just aren't the right place for what you want to achieve eg. I use the minor lever with the A pedal for a m6 or m6/9 - very handy.
The BC pedals actually have more of a m7th sound more than a straight m (to my ears - such as they are !!).

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 11:25 am    

You could also hit your a minor on the 8th fret with A pedal down and then release it for the C major. Also, if you have an X lever that lowers your B strings 5&10 you could play open strings with A&B pedals down with Bs lowered for the a minor then slide up to the 3rd fret with just A&B pedals down.