The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW- Hank Williams Movie??
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 6:03 am    

Heard there's a new Hank Williams movie being made. Also heard Hank III is gonna play Sr. Wonder who'll play Uncle Don. Anyone else heard anything? Hope it's accurate.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 6:23 am    

from what i've heard they cast Tom Hiddleston, best known as the bad guy in Marvel's Thor and Avenger films.
he certainly looks the part:

Hank III stated his displeasure with a British actor being cast, and suggested Matt McConaughey as a better choice. I would have to disagree. There's a fairly awful movie about Hank called The Last Ride, which stars Henry Thomas (the boy from E.T.) ...he was a good choice I thought:

one of the worst things about The Last Ride was the use of pedal steel in the soundtrack, and in at least one scene with a live band. very poor research on someone's part.

I'm not a big fan of bio-pics in general, but I hope they can at least get the steel guitar right in this upcoming flick!

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 11:13 am    

There was a movie some years ago called "Hank Williams: The Show He Never Gave".
It was awesome!!

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 8:58 am     Hank ; The Third

Sad Confused ..Hank Williams Sr. can never be replaced by his grand son; From some of the trashy videos I' ve seen him perform & sing on; I couldn't even call what he was doing Country. And he surely doesn't resemble his grampa Hank, Sr., in my opinion, what-so-ever.Wouldn't Hank, Jr. have some say in making this decision as to the individual that could play the part of his Dad?? That's my personal thoughts on the subject

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 9:18 am    

I've seen Hank III on some Marty Stuart shows and he does an excellent presentation of his Grandpa's songs. He even fits into the clothes that Marty has collected of Hank's.
Hank III is sort of a dual personality. I understand that at his shows, he starts out with classic country and then warns the audience that he is shifting into his heavy metal routine.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 11:08 am    

I have seen an older movie about Hank. It may have been that one somebody mentioned called The Show He Never Gave. In it they had what appeared to be a fender 400 with the pedals not attached. Hope they use an accurate steel in the new movie

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 5:12 pm    

"Hank Williams: The Show He Never Gave"

For those interested, you can view the movie on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QU_BBMHbQ

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 7:33 pm    

thanx barry....went to watch a tiny bit and got caught up in it.

Greg Moynihan

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 5:28 am    

Tom Hiddleston made a surprise appearance as Hank last weekend, there's video:

http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-video-tom-hiddleston-performing-hank-william-208983

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 8:50 am     Re: Hank ; The Third

Bernie Gonyea wrote:

Sad Confused ..Hank Williams Sr. can never be replaced by his grand son; From some of the trashy videos I' ve seen him perform & sing on; I couldn't even call what he was doing Country. And he surely doesn't resemble his grampa Hank, Sr., in my opinion, what-so-ever.Wouldn't Hank, Jr. have some say in making this decision as to the individual that could play the part of his Dad?? That's my personal thoughts on the subject

Bernie - I can do without the punk rock side of Hank III as well, but check out his appearance on the Marty Stewart Show. He does a wonderful version of "My Sweet Love Ain't Around". He sounds like Hank Sr and even wears Hanks Sr's old suit as homage. The steel player recreates the original Jerry Byrd solo to a T. Fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlhZpaCZXJY

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 9:06 am    

If you do a search on You Tube, you can hear Hank III on the Grand Ole Opry. About as close to Hank I as you can get.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 9:52 am    

I heard they call Hank III "Tri-Cephus".

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 6:07 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
I heard they call Hank III "Tri-Cephus".

From what I understand, that name was given to him by a former guitar player in his band, Harold Kennedy. Harold is a old friend of mine who told me tales of Hank III on the road that were pretty crazy.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:27 am    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
There was a movie some years ago called "Hank Williams: The Show He Never Gave".
It was awesome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QU_BBMHbQ
That movie is on YouTube. Check the above link.

Hopefully the new movie will be good. Hank III is the closest in voice and looks to Hank Sr. as anyone I've seen. He doesn't always sing like Hank Sr., but when he does it's hard to tell the difference. Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:34 am    

I always thought that movie was kind of lame, I hope the new one is better. Sad

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:40 am     Re: Hank ; The Third

Bernie Gonyea wrote:
...Hank Williams Sr. can never be replaced by his grand son; From some of the trashy videos I' ve seen him perform & sing on; I couldn't even call what he was doing Country...

You have to bear in mind that he's from a different generation. If Hank Sr. hadn't died back in 1953 I'm sure that over the following years his style would have altered and he would have been influenced by other music around him. He was a friend of Bill Haley's and could well have gotten into a lot of rockabilly.
Hank III has a right to sing more modern music if that's what turns him on. If you listen to his punk stuff it's enough to turn any country fan off him, but he has two sides and tends to keep them distinctly apart. Some of his albums are more 40s type country than anyone else around today.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 11:24 am    

Quote:
one of the worst things about The Last Ride was the use of pedal steel in the soundtrack, and in at least one scene with a live band. very poor research on someone's part.

No worse than casting the kid who played Elliot in E.T. as Hank Williams...

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 3:13 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:

No worse than casting the kid who played Elliot in E.T. as Hank Williams...

It may have been bad research as far as the type of steel in the scenes, but the steel parts were still excellent. The credits reveal the steel guitarists were none other than Russ Hicks & Mike Johnson.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 9:17 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgxRi6l4SQ

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:08 pm    

Please keep this on the subject of steel guitar. Thank you.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 8:03 am    

Henry Thomas played Bocephus Hank Jr. In a movie not Senior..

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 8:08 am    

Joe Casey wrote:
Henry Thomas played Bocephus Hank Jr. In a movie not Senior..

I think Henry Thomas portrayed "Mr. Wells." Which was Hank Sr's road alias.

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 9:41 am    

The show he never gave , Steel guitar Canadian Ron Dan A great guy and a great player.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2014 12:44 pm    

Hiddleston should bring depth perception to Hank's life story.

Maybe he'll portray Luke the drifter.

Instead of Loki the shifter.

Wonder who's playing psg in the movie band?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 1:03 pm     Re: Hank ; The Third

Bernie Gonyea wrote:

Hank III is a great guy, I met him few times down town Nashville, very nice guy, and looks just like Hank Sr., I knew his mom, I used to deliver for FedEx at the mall in Green Hills where she worked years ago... all very good people... Hank III would be perfect for the movie, he looks and sounds just like his grandpa... when you stand next to him, and talk to him, you think you are talking to Hank Sr. ... just because he has his own style, and playing a "rebel" card, doesn't mean he is a bad person, or performer ... I believe, when he gets little older, he might actually, go back to his grandpas music ... because it is, after all, a great music...

db