Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 10:01 am    

Tony,
Manny`s....

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 4:13 am    

GC has competent people and the clueless as well.. Personally. I have gotten several VERY nice deals there. Back in the late 90's I walked into the GC in Totowa NJ, and walked out with a 1965 Ric 335 6 string with original silver case for about $700... I went to a vintage guitar store a few days later and they gave me $1200 for it... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 8:03 am    

For me the Guitar Center (and Musicians' Friend) are two of the same. Someone told me they have the same owner!

I have found some good deals at the GC, I bought an American-made Fender 5-string Jazz bass for about 1/3 its' value, for one.

But it is my most recent trip there that has me totally stewed! They sell Ernie Ball volume pedals, but if you need the repair kit, you'll have to have it shipped from the warehouse. So when I broke the string on it last Thursday, I had no way of getting it fixed in time for my Friday gig. It just sucks that the store with 100,000 sq. ft. of space can't find a spot for a couple of repair kits, a $4 item. Granted when you need a repair kit, you need it NOW, not in five days.

....and never go in there on a weekend or you'll have to battle against every 14 year-old head-banger trying out the latest crap guitar from Korea...
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Mark Smilor

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 10:00 am    

I had an instance over the weekend where a friend who worked there called me up because a sales guy just bought a GFI Ultra keyless Sd10 with Hilton pedal and they almost passed because they "don't have a market for it". Looks brand new with all the paperwork so I asked how much....they said $800 with the pedal so I didn't even bat an eye. The only apprehension I had was the look of a keyless system. Having had it since Sunday I can say I should have done it sooner. I'm sold on the keyless head. I wasn't in the market for another steel but I'm not gonna flip it. I hang on to stuff and it was a right place, right time kind of thing

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 2:15 pm    

Mark!
I can relate! Went to a GC Inventory Reduction Sale, and picked up a GFI D-10 for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Pre-Ultra, but I tripled my moolah on that one!

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 10:01 pm     Guitar Center

I really hate it when a 21 yo with tats and weighs about 90 pounds says "Hey Dude can I help you?" That bugs the u no what out of me. I will never buy from those "piss ants"

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 7:50 am    

Support your local music store!! NOT GC if you can avoid at all. They are evil on many levels.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 9:31 am     Attack of the Curmudgeons!

Billy Henderson wrote:
I really hate it when a 21 yo with tats and weighs about 90 pounds says "Hey Dude can I help you?" That bugs the u no what out of me. I will never buy from those "piss ants"

Just some clarification, please...

Does that only occur at Guitar Center, or do the slender 21-year-olds with tattoos who are gainfully working a job at Starbucks or the grocery store also bug the you-know-what out of you by simply asking what you'd like to purchase after you've walked into their store?

In my experience, showing respect gets me respect. Y'know?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 11:44 am    

"Dude" is the new "sir". Laughing

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 12:07 pm    

Josh Yenne wrote:
Support your local music store!! NOT GC if you can avoid at all. They are evil on many levels.

Most places don't have a "local" music store. And if we did, they usually don't have what I want, or charge way too much for it.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 2:00 pm     Guitar Center

Just some clarification, please...

Does that only occur at Guitar Center, or do the slender 21-year-olds with tattoos who are gainfully working a job at Starbucks or the grocery store also bug the you-know-what out of you by simply asking what you'd like to purchase after you've walked into their store?

In my experience, showing respect gets me respect. Y'know?

I have never had this happen anywhere else. Respect gets respect. I have stopped them and told them not to call me Dude. Call me Billy or mister or sir.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 5:27 pm    

Sounds like u just have a problem with current colloquial vernacular in general.Cultural "slang" has always been around and as it, changes doesn't wait for us old farts to ratify it.Live with it ,it's much less stressful Smile

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 5:42 pm     guitar center

Maybe it is cultural slang or call it what you want but to me it is disrespectful and I won't buy from any store that can't call a man mister or sir or my my first name but please don't call me "Dude"

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 9:01 am    

Neutral Respect is an interesting word,when utilized properly it usually applies to both party's , as Herb mentioned. Neutral GC will most likely stay in business whether u buy anything from them or not. I prefer not to for the reasons Rich Sinkler mentioned. Not because of youngsters acting and speaking the same way I and most kids did when we were young and the Beatles hit the music world, and listening to the rants of my parents, and and old farts in general, about long haired cat-daddies, hippies ,ad infinitum.My grandpa was a blacksmith and a very good one and a well liked and trusted man amongst his peers. I remember him saying "respect isn't a god given right ,it's something you earn by returning it." Rolling Eyes

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 9:50 am     Re: guitar center

Billy Henderson wrote:
Maybe it is cultural slang or call it what you want but to me it is disrespectful and I won't buy from any store that can't call a man mister or sir or my my first name but please don't call me "Dude"

Chill out, Man...
(for the record, this is given tongue-in-cheek)

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 10:09 am    

I don't mind them calling me "Dude", although I don't think they ever have. At the GC in San Jose, you are lucky if anyone even comes up to you.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 11:40 am     Guitar Center

What do you mean lucky to have someone come up to me? I don't have to buy from Guitar Center. Lucky or not. Yes guitar center don't need my buisness. I can't imagine a grown man allowing a kid to adress them as "Dude." What if they called you a MF? That too is the new language.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 12:32 pm    

Smile I don't mind at all if it's used as a run-of-the--mill salutation, I just chuckle and reply with how "nice" their mother was to me the nite before...BOOM!!. Winking Razz

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 12:45 pm    

Billy. If you don't have to buy from GC, why the hell don't you just stay home and avoid anyone saying anything to you. MF is not the same as Dude.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 1:08 pm     Re: Guitar Center

Billy Henderson wrote:
What do you mean lucky to have someone come up to me? I don't have to buy from Guitar Center. Lucky or not. Yes guitar center don't need my buisness. I can't imagine a grown man allowing a kid to adress them as "Dude." What if they called you a MF? That too is the new language.

"Dude" is a commonly used term when addressing someone informally, like "hey man."

"MF" is a definite insult, kind of like "piss ant."

Just sayin'... Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 1:18 pm    

Suddenly I am VERY sympathetic toward retail workers having to deal with all sorts of weirdos.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 4:34 pm     Gc

I can't believe I am a wierdo just because I demand a little respect. I still ain't going to buy from a store that calls thier customers DUDE. What have I missed?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 4:54 pm     Re: Gc

Billy Henderson wrote:
I can't believe I am a wierdo just because I demand a little respect. I still ain't going to buy from a store that calls thier customers DUDE. What have I missed?

About 40 years?

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 5:16 pm    

@ Earnest ^ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing succinct and dead on, gotta love it..LMAO