The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar Center and Pedal Steels
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 1:06 pm    

I just went into the Spokane, Washington Guitar Center store, looking for a few strings. I really never shop but online for steels and eq but I was heading to a gig and needed strings.

I walk in, guy says in a really fast talking high energy voice,
"Hi! How can I help you"
I mention that I am in need of some single gauge strings or a set of Pedal Steel strings.
Guy says, "O you mean steel string guitar strings, I've got them right here". He hands me a set of 6 string regular guitar strings.
I said no I need pedal steel guitar strings or singles if you have them.
Guy says, " Now what kind of guitar to you have and I can match you up with the correct type of strings for your guitar".
I started to laugh but I played along... I said I have an Emmons push pull.
Guy says, " What? I've never heard of that brand. Is it a Fender or Gibson? Sometimes companys like Fender release a model called the Squire. Can you bring your guitar in and we can match you a set of strings that will be the correct ones".

I said no thanks and walked out.

Sorry but I just had to post. This is what our music world is coming too.
Duane Becker

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 1:11 pm    

At least he knew what strings were. Laughing

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 1:47 pm    

I know...every time I go in there and ask for a pack of .011's I have to explain to the salesman what I want, after he hands me a pack of guitar strings.

But even weirder, in 1972 I bought a new Sho-Bud 6139 at the Guitar Center on Sunset Bl in Hollywood.
They actually carried Sho-Bud for a short time...

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 2:12 pm    

The guitar and instrument stores in this area have no clue. I have given up. The terms "steel guitar" or "pedal steel guitar" evoke the "glazed donut" look. (I donut know what you are talking about....)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 2:43 pm    

Most music stores are like that.

Fortunately, the local music store (Bondz Music in Wildwood, Fl) is owned by a Pedal Steel Guitar player (and former Gretsch/Sho-Bud salesman). He carries strings, bars, Goodrich items and Peavey amps. He has used Pedal Steels for sale at times (some he bought and others on consignment).

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 2:51 pm    

I gotta go with Ron White on this one...

"You can't fix stupid..."

Mr. Green

A shame you didn't have time to take the guitar in and let him "fit a set to it"...

Now there's the show.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 3:47 pm    

Kevin Raymer wrote:
I gotta go with Ron White on this one...

"You can't fix stupid..."

Mr. Green

A shame you didn't have time to take the guitar in and let him "fit a set to it"...

Now there's the show.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 6:58 pm    

Quote:
This is what our music world is coming too.

I'm afraid it's already here.. Shocked

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 10:33 am    

Now that Mr. Romney's Bain Capital has used their Guitar Center MO to put most of the nation's small local music stores out of business, they have taken the money and ditched it to die on the vine, and we are left with the detritus.

FYI the GC sales force program works like this: All sales staff earn minimum wage against commission, and if at the end of the pay period the commission earned is less the minimum wage for the hours worked the salesperson owes the company for the difference, so don't expect the best and the brightest to be meeting you at the door...

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 1:06 pm    

Click Here

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 1:28 pm    

Dave Grafe wrote:
Now that Mr. Romney's Bain Capital has used their Guitar Center MO to put most of the nation's small local music stores out of business, they have taken the money and ditched it to die on the vine, and we are left with the detritus.

FYI the GC sales force program works like this: All sales staff earn minimum wage against commission, and if at the end of the pay period the commission earned is less the minimum wage for the hours worked the salesperson owes the company for the difference, so don't expect the best and the brightest to be meeting you at the door...

ClearChannel did it with radio, Countrywide with mortgages.... a whole slew of companies did it with recording/records. Remember Cash and Haggard getting dropped in the '90s? I think Toby Keith had no less than four contracts shot out from under him...

Guitar sales in general peaked around 2000. Before Bain, Fender & Guitar Center ( they're joined at the hip now ) were simply smaller. FMIC went for financing as a bet the company deal... it was employee owned. I don't think it made money for CBS, either.

There is always both an awesome small music store *and* a Guitar Center in my experience.

I use both and do some shopping online for things like pedal steel sets.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 1:37 pm     Guitar Center and pedal steels

Many years ago, the Guitar Center in Knoxville, TN had a Carter Starter featured in the center of their small display stage inside the store. They had a VHS instructional video displayed as well. The display and guitar was gone the next time I was there. I don't know if they bought one for stock and was testing the waters or if the one they had was taken in on a trade and they just wanted to move it. The guitar looked new.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 1:53 pm    

Dave,
Romney left his leadership role at Bain in 1999 to take over fixing the scandal-plagued Salt Lake City Olympics. He was still somewhat involved as an investor and advisor, but was not involved in the Guitar Center deal.
"Bain took over the musical instrument retailer Guitar Center in 2007 for $2.1 billion, Reuters reports. While Romney was an investor at Bain Capital in 2007, he was no longer working for Bain when it bought Guitar Center."
Gettiing too political for me.

BTW; I got an insane deal on a GFI at a GC inventory reduction sale! They had no clue! Tripled my money on that deal!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 4:17 pm    

Thanks for the research details, John, entirely on track as usual. I attached the gentleman's name in my post as he was the one who came up with the "advance dividend" market raiding technique that Bain employs whether he was on board at the time or not. That's a business fact and not a political one, and not in any way intended to be the latter, as I endeavor at all times to refrain from going there, my apologies for any offense, none meant or taken here.

...and yes, let's hope that there is always somewhere a really great little music store run by neighbors who care...

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 4:34 pm    

Guitar Center in Raleigh stocked D'Addario E9th sets last time I was in there.

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 6:30 pm    

I bought my Carter Starter from the Guitar Center in Columbus, OH. It was several years ago. Haven't seen one in there since.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 2:43 am    

Musician's Friend, who is owned by Guitar Center used to sell Carter Starter's on line. Probably why some GC's had them.

Saw one in the Tampa Sam Ash one time, the staff there had no clue. Someone had "tuned" it but it wasn't an E9th tuning.

Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 7:07 am    

So this young employee, who, through no fault of his own, had never heard of a pedal steel guitar (much like me before I was about 17, although I'm sure he was a little older, but still...).
You could have used this as a teaching moment (once a parent always a parent) and educated the young man instead of leaving him clueless.
After about a 2 minute explanation, he would have understood and sold you the strings you needed, and one more young person would know what a pedal steel was.
I've had mixed luck at GC - some knowledgeable folks and some newbies.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 7:20 am    

fwiw, I have never known of a Guitar Center that sells single strings.
I go to a local place called Portland Music that carries singles when I need 'em.

Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 7:27 am    

double post

Last edited by Arty Passes on 7 Jul 2014 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 8:29 am    

I was in a music store in San Jose, called Guitar Showcase. The had a Carter Starter in a room off the main floor where they kept high end and vintage guitars. It wasn't there long. This store is also where I bought my Sho~Bud Super~Pro when I got back from Nashville in 83. I visited a steel guitar only store in Nashville (undoubtedly Bobbe's shop) and fell in love with a Black Super~Pro. The guy in the store told me it would be cheaper for me to call him from California and order the guitar. That way, I didn't have to pay sales tax, and the shipping would have been far less. But when I got back to the bay area, I went into Guitar Showcase (and they know what a pedal steel guitar is. I played in a band with one of them) and saw a used red Super-Pro, for $800. Of course I bought that one.

Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 8:55 am    

Yes Skip, I too bought a Sho-Bud in that same Hollywood Guitar Center in '74! Well, my dad bought it for me...I was 16 at the time. In fact, it's the one my profile photo.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 12:17 pm    

good grief...reading what I did above about GC's corporate structure, even I am at a loss for words...

The GC's that I visit have E9th strings and it's even possible the one that was visited in this thread had them to but the clerk didn't know it. Ernie Balls, they are even listed on the GC website...

This past weekend I returned two sets of guitar strings, actually all I wanted to do was swap them for different gauges. well, the NEW clerk, took them back at list price, gave me two sets of strings and a $30 credit ! She did all that in the blink of an eye...she handed me the transaction receipts and strings after she did it...I started to ask her about it, she got confused with the Deer in the headlight look so I just thanked her...do you think she knows abut Pedal Steel Guitar strings ?

I grew up in a very rural area, we had two really kool drive-ins for Burgers and Dogs...as soon as MacDonalds and Burger King hit the scene both drive-ins went under, and they didn't even sell Pedal Steel Guitar strings !

We can't pick and choose which progress we like and which we don't.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 3:19 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:

But even weirder, in 1972 I bought a new Sho-Bud 6139 at the Guitar Center on Sunset Bl in Hollywood.
They actually carried Sho-Bud for a short time...

Skipster
I bought my 1970 Sho~Bud Professional that I cut all the Texas Progressive Country stuff on at that GC! Managed by a guy named George, and my college buddy Craig Buzzart was one of the salesmen.

I lived around the corner at 1642 N. Sierra Bonita. The house isn't there any more; it's condos.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 5:00 pm    

I think Guitar Center is hit and miss like many other stores. I've had very good service with knowledgeable folks at some GCs and others not so much. Most of the "not so much" is the young kids.

Home Depot seems to be the worst. I can't tell you how many time I've gone in Home Depot and asked for something specific and come out completely frustrated.

My favorite was when I asked the young sales person for sixteen penny box common bright nails......after the dumb look I got...... wait for it.......wait for it......."Nails are on aisle 7"......

Go figure... guess it wasn't in a video game so he didn't learn it.