The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Timing on 1st string raise and 6th lower
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 1:24 am    

I'd like to get the 1st sting to go up 1/2 tone exactly befor the 6th string lowers a whole tone on my LeGrande II. It's on my RKL
and it's set up to raise 1st whole tone, 2nd 1/2 and lower 6 whole tone w/ split. They all work, it's just the 6th starts lowering before the 1st reaches 1/2 tone mark. Thanks

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 2:45 am    

You need a longer throw/movement on the rod that lowers the 6strings. Means it has to be moved further out from the center of the cross/shaft where your knee lever is attached.

Bengt

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 10:11 am    

Skip.Connect the 6th string lower rod 2 to 4 holes (Higher) in the bellcrank.Higher being further from the cross shaft.You got to love those Emmons 14 hole bellcranks. --------bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 28 December 2002 at 12:11 AM.]

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 11:09 am    

Skip,
You will have to juggle the first and sixth leverages, and I think you will need a long throw on your first, and a short throw on your sixth. Think about it: while first is moving a half-tone, you want sixth to move a full tone.

Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 11:20 am    

Thanks for replies, I'm gonna try a cpl of your suggestions. I need the 1st to go 1/2 before 6 starts to move. I'll see what happens.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 11:28 am    

Here's another idea to try if you're interested. I do this on my guitar with 1,2&7 on one lever. Admittedly it's a weak 1/2 stop, but you could use the second string as a 1/2 stop for both the first and sixth strings. Neither of those changes are real critical for tuning of the 1/2 stop and it would let you have F#-G/G# and G#-G/F#.

To set this up, get 1&6 starting and stopping at the same time, then add the 2nd string and play with its leverage until it starts when the others are 1/2 way.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2002 6:36 pm    

if the 1st and 2nd string is working the way you want. Don`t change anything there. If the 6string starts lowering to early (before 1st string reach G) then the pullrod on the 6string has not sufficient travel. Meaning you have to move it further out to increase its travel. Done exactly that split between string 1 and 6 on one of my guitars and know it works.

hBengt

[This message was edited by Bengt Erlandsen on 27 December 2002 at 06:45 PM.]