The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It's getting closer
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 9:36 pm    

Hey gang,
I finally got all four changers in my American Steel. I'm a little too tired to go much further with it tonight. I did hook up the first and ten'th strings on both necks and operated those strings with my fingers just to reassure myself that the new "roller changer" really works. IT DOES!!!!! Virtually zero hysterisis (however you spell it).
I've got a ton more of work and assymbly to do on it, but with a little luck, I'll be playing it this coming weekend. Needless to say, I'm a bit excited. I'll give you a fuller report by next week I hope.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 11:17 pm    

Well I'm soooooo completely Proud of you Bobby...can't wait for the report and if'n you got any pictures pal...that would make my day to see your brilliant design work my friend.
Good luck and stay with it.
Ricky

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 7:15 pm    

This sounds like it's gonna be really cool!! Please keep us posted and send pictures! I want to check this out for sure!

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 9:40 pm    

I have seen the guitar in person. Awesome. Jody.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 10:19 pm    

ROLLER CHANGER? Does that entitle me to a demo? Bobby please email me for my shipping address. Boy is ole Sammy gonna be jealous!
Jerry

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 11:17 pm    

Jerry,
I guess I should have called them an "in changer Roller Nut". I don't know if that'd still apply. You are a "nut" you know! But, a good one and one of the best "nuts" I know. At least that's what "Sammy" told me.
I've been delibertly working on it just about all day and half the night. I'm giving the whole under carriage a polish job and man, that takes a whole of time. I hate polishing! I also got the pick ups in. I'm gonna' start with BL 910's. Don't be surprised if I end up with a couple of Jerry Wallace pick ups. Maybe I'll finish up the polishing tomorrow,,,then string it up and start rodding it Wednesday. Boy,,,I can hardly wait. I hope my impatience don't get the best of me this time.
I hope to have some pictures in the next week or so. I'll have to get sombody to come over with a digital camera. But, I'll tell ya now,,,it a little different than anything I know of that's out there now. A good difference, I think.
BB

------------------

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2002 11:55 am    

Anybody want a job? I'm so tired of polishing and buffing. But, I must admit, it's looking pretty darn good. Maybe it's worth all the sute (black residue), burning hands (even through gloves), clogged breathing, agonizing time, long scrubbing showers and another hour or so cleaning up the bath room. I doubt if my poor old fingers will be able to function this week end. At least it's a good excuse for all the blunders I'll make playing with Junior Knight for the TSGA Christmas party this coming Sunday.
BB

------------------

Chuck Norris

Mesquite, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 7:06 am    

Bobby quit reading this thread and get to work I wanna see this baby for the T.S.G.A. Christmas party, this Sunday. PALEEEEEEEEESE!!!!!
Chuck Norris NFM
Ditto say`s Albert Talley

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 9:31 pm    

Bobby?? How did it turn out? Any pix yet?

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2002 9:59 pm    

Well,
I didn't get it ready for this past week end. My poor old body and mind just ran out of "juice" and time. I'm working on it now tonight and should have it done in a day or two. I'm building a pick up/neck switch harness block tonight. I should finish rodding it tomorrow and then probably use a day for fine tuning along with pedal and knee lever logistics adjustments. So far, everything is doing what I want it to do,,,even better than what I hoped for. And believe me,,,I was hoping for a lot.
I played my "new" rebuilt Emmons push pull Saturday in Houston and Sunday in Dallas (Mesquite) and it also plays like a dream.
I'll keep y'all updated and I promise to tell it like it is,,,good or bad or whatever.
BB

------------------

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 7:08 pm    

It's getting closer, but are you there yet?
How do you like the True Tone pick up are have you tried it yet?