The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Player needs suggestions
Stella Mask

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 4:01 pm    

hi, i'm new to all this so I thought I could pick ya'll brains on what's the best equipment for my setup here. I just got a Sho-bud D-10 Fingertip Pedal Steel and would like to know what's the best volume pedal and amp for it. Of course I'm pretty broke after my purchase so i'd like to know what's the best...but also what i can afford. Actually any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stella

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 4:30 pm    

Hi Stella! Welcome to the wacky world of the Steel Guitar! There are several good amps for your guitar...any of the Peavey amps voiced for steel Nashville 400, Session 400, Session 500 are found used at reasonable prices around $325, 350 or so...There are some of the old Sho-Bud amps around also....Sho-Bud also made vol. pedals and can be had for around $75 to $100....also Goodrich 120 is in that price range. Hilton and Goodrich both make higher end electronic pedals as opposed the others mentioned that use a potentiometer to vary the vol.
Other combo amps available include the Evans, [sorry I don't have the model # but someone else will probably post it]
and Webb 6-14. Some folks use separate components [amp, preamp, fx processors in a rack case and satellite speakers.
Just be sure that whatever you get is voiced for steel guitar and has reverb available. Most folks like a 15" speaker best for steel...Peavey Black Widows [1501 15", 1203 12"] or JBL 130 series are very popular among steel players.
Best of luck in your endeavor and you
can find lots of help right here on this forum [as well as endless opinion!]

Budd Kelley

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 5:55 pm    

Stella,

If you are going to be practicing in hiding for awhile before going public, you may want to look for a Peavey Blazer 158. 15 watts and an 8" speaker with a clean channel, low mid and high adjustments and reverb. New, mine was $115.00. Used - ? It works pretty well for inhome use.

(By the waay - if you come across any easy "hot licks", please pass them on to me!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 5:57 pm    

Stella, there have been many preveious questions from new players cnocerning every aspect of the pedal steel. I'd suggest you try the search link, look just above your question, on the right side. Click on that and search using "new player" or "newbie" or "best amp", or whatever. Search the different sections, also try the ole "bar chatter" section. This should keep you busy for quite a while. Remember, thought, there's a lot of opinions out there, some may not be the best choice for you. Take you time and decide what suits you best. My opinion: you can't go wrong with Goodrich pedals and Peavey amps, these are available used at good prices. Good luck to you.

------------------
Bill Moore...
my steel guitar web page

Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 9:55 pm    

Stella, I started with a blazer 158 Amp in September.As I got better at playing the steel I wanted to get that big rich full tone. The blazer 158 just can't do that.So i got a different amp with a 15" speaker.
Makes worlds of difference!If you can swing it get a bigger Amp.

Sho~Bud LDG Nashville 1000

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 5:24 am    

Stella,
I would start off with a 2003 MSA Mellinim, D-12, 12 floor pedals, and 9 knee levers..that should keep ya busy for a while, A Peavy 2000 amp, and about $5,000 worth of rack mount effects
That SHOULD hold you over until something else is on the market LOL
If you are going to be a SERIOUS PLAYER....
You better get some SERIOUS CASH!!!
I,m just having some Christmas Cheer Humor here...WELCOME TO THE CRAZY SIDE of us steel players...
You will have a BALL if ya hang around long enough..........
Good Luck, and send me a few "New Licks" when ya learn them
Ron

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 6:18 am    

Stella,
Welcome to the wacky world of steel guitar.If you can find other steelers in your area,talk to them and listen and look at what they are using,then go with what you can afford.Don't get too deep or expensive to start,unless you can afford it.Best of luck,it ain't easy.

Budd...there ain't no easy "hot licks"

BIll

------------------
Bill Ford

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 7:10 am    

Stella, If you live alone I think all
previous recomendations are correct.
If you have other soals living with you
initially I would buy a Pandoras Box.Its a head phone amp that gives you ample effects unit. It has a built in tuner. Several drum rhythm tracs that can be varied in speed and timing. You also can patch a CD player with rhythm tracks into it. This device can maximize your practice without anybody COMPLAINING. Lets face it. The beginning can be rough on others.

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 7:29 am    

stella, baby! You beat me out on that fine fingertip, but no hard feelings. If you become as good a player as you are an ebayer, you'll be a great player.

You picked a good one and you'll never need to buy another. (not that you won't want to, eventually!)

There are many instructional courses you can buy, but I can personally recommend Frenchy's steel guitar course. It's a bargain and very thorough.

As far as what the best equipment choices would be, I'm sure Ricky Davis will have some suggestions. Welcome and good luck.

Stella Mask

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 11:21 am    

Ok I'm starting to think that what I should of asked about first was where to get a nice cupholder for my steel, cause with all this information I suddenly feel an urge to drink! Really thatnks for all these tips. I suppose I should called around and see what's being offered in my neck of the woods.

Thanks again for the great tips , emails and welcomes from all you!
Stella

[This message was edited by Stella Mask on 19 December 2002 at 11:25 AM.]

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 11:34 am    

Just look around
at first a small practice amp like the peavey rage woud be just fine... although look around. I found my Nashville 400 for under $200
I would spend the money and get a good voluem pedal,though, since the pots do wear out. if you buy a used pedal, plan another $30 for a new pot to the cost, by that you could have a goodrich 120.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 1:23 pm    

Hi Stella,
congrats on your guitar, it´s a legend. Wish I had one of those babies. As for the amp, with a classic ShoBud like that, MY suggestion would be... forget Peaveys and get a FENDER tube amp, that´s the perfect match. You won´t regret it.

Good luck, Joe H.