The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lucky 7" Fosters New Advanced Concept
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 10:58 am    

My steel features the H.U.F.(vertical fretboard), the "Golo", the "Lucky 7", and the C.P.C. (compact pedal cluster). I explained earlier that the upright fretboard is mounted on the front edge of the steel, at book angle. It is my most treasured creation, relative to the steel guitar. The "Lucky 7" has prevented 3rd string breakage from day one. The new concept will be in place soon, and it will be shown on the forum, after pictures are taken. It will ride over the 3rd finger bridge, and will be totally independent of the changer in its function.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 02 December 2002 at 10:56 PM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 12:11 pm    

"and it will be shown on the forum, after pictures are taken"

While we're young, eh Bill?!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 12:27 pm    

As Spock would say..."^fascinating"!

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 1:10 pm    

Bill, in all honesty, I forgot what the "Golo" is and I sincerely wish to know.
Thank,s
Jerry

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 2:37 pm    

Jerry R.,

It is simply a spring-loaded device that exerts pressure on the string, and allows the string to go sharp or flat when a knee lever, or foot pedal is actuated. With proper steel guitar design, the multiples of changes would be unlimited.

Bill H.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 5:35 pm    

Pete Burak,

Is there something that I didn't do, or are you simply stating that I should provide more proof of my recent experiments? My removal of
the steel guitar fretboard, and replacing it with the H.U.F., (Hankey Upright Fretboard) should have shown my intent to break away from conventionality, and to try something new.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 03 December 2002 at 01:21 AM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 5:52 pm    

Hi Bill,
Bill, you've posted alot of great ideas over the years (it seems like years, maybe "year" is more accurate), but only one picture that I know of.
I've asked you to post pictures of your idea in pretty much every thread I've ever read of yours.
So I ask again...
Hey Bill!... How 'bout some pictures!

I'm currently salt n' peppa on top, and it won't be long untill I'm grey!

Pete B.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 9:36 pm    

Hey, Pete, you gotta understand--Hankey's a concept guy, with no time for details!!

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 1:35 am    

Stephen G.,

Who needs "details", when "A
picture is worth a thousand words?" Just the price of photography to satisfy natural scrutinizing tendencies, is certainly the correct procedure,in proving any claims of authenticity.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 02 December 2002 at 10:59 PM.]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 6:00 am    

I'd like to see some pictures too, but even more, I want to see AND TRY OUT the modified instrument itself. Bill I seriously suggest you bring your guitar to the convention and set up a booth and let is all get some hands on experience with your innovations.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating. Bill's innovations may be the greatest advances for our instrument since the invention of pedals, or they may by utterly worthless. I suspect they are somewhere in between those 2 extremes. But until we see them and try them out, we'll never know. Meanwhile I urge everybody to remember that they laughed at the Wright Brothers and Columbus.

[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 02 December 2002 at 09:03 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 7:11 am    

Mike- isn't that "they laughed at the Wright Brothers IN Columbus?"

(I know- they were from Dayton, but I couldn't resist...)

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 6:41 pm    

Dave, I wouldn't know. Anything 60 miles from my house is a foreign country. Frankly, I don't believe the planet can support life east of the Arizona Border.

------------------
Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 7:15 pm    

Hanks, if you're going to try to talk over everybodys' head's, then PLEASE make sure your grammar, syntax, and spelling are correct. Then go play Mr. Spock.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 10:36 pm    

Stephen G.,

What you see is what you'll get. I think your main concern, will be to try talking over my head. The principle reason for going on this forum, is to nurture its credibility. Flim-flam babblings do not impress me. However, steel guitarists do. Simply put, let your steel guitar do the talking, whenever you wish to make a point.
Forget the grammar school nonsense.

Bill H.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2002 7:37 am    

I'm sorry if I've gotten under your skin, Mr. Hankey. But I doubt if a venetian blind fretboard, or the "Lucky 7," will do anything to nurture the credibility of this Forum. And as for flim-flam babblings, or grammar school nonsense, several, more articulate posters than me have noted that, while your postings are bombastically multisyllabic, they make little sense, from a practical viewpoint. If your intent is to amuse, then you do a very good job at that. I find your postings funny, generally. Someone compared you to the brilliant comedian, Professor Irwin Corey. I like your plays on words, and I appreciate your attempts to come up with new ways to operate this machine we all love.
"Let your steel guitar do the talking."
Didn't Pete Drake already do that?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 1:26 am    

F.M.,

I was unable to proceed with the new concept yesterday, because it would require removing the faithful "lucky 7" from my steel. As I looked down, and contemplated its removal, I immediately realized that it couldn't be done in good conscience. Not once has the .011 string snapped violently, as many others do, in the course of filling a gig. Another realization quickly filled my thoughts, as I put away the dismantling tools. I have satisfied virtually every aspect of playing steel guitar, by practicing, and ferreting out the stumbling blocks, one by one. At the present time, no new changes are needed. I am no longer guessing around, like the unfortunate ground hog, that once slipped his head into a tinned can, and could no longer see the light of day. The "Upright Fretboard" has opened up an entirely new phase of clarity in musical expression. Every aspect of the concept, eliminates visualization difficulties, that are associated with the bar hand playing hide, go seek the fret by "listening". No thanks, I'd rather not, and there is no longer any reason for me to do so. The "Compact Pedal Cluster" has rounded out the need for favorite changes, that are placed advantageously between the A B C pedals. There is one remaining quest for sustainability. Aside from that, I'm set to play.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 05 December 2002 at 03:03 AM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 10:38 am    

Whoa Man, Yer not set to play yet!...

You need to fullfill your legacy by posting pictures to this Forum of the Compact Pedal Cluster, Go-LO, Lucky 7, your home made steel, and maybe a few pix with soundbites of you pullin' it all together, demonstrating the fruits of your accomplishments by showing us all the perceived roadblocks that they have overcome.

We're all on your side, Bill!

Scroll down to the pic in this link to get the ball rolling: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/004523-3.html

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 04 December 2002 at 10:39 AM.]

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 04 December 2002 at 10:40 AM.]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 11:30 am    

Bill - One way to improve the visual effectiveness of your H.U.F. would be to drill out the steel bar and insert a small laser pointing device, which would emit a pinpoint beam of light through the tip of the bar, which would then shine directly on the H.U.V. This should eliminate any paralactic problems in bar placement. Of course, should you decide to slant the bar (I know you prefer not to), the beam of light would no longer be aligned with the proper fret.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 11:41 am    

I mentioned a similar idea of using something like a laser pointer for a bar to Bill at the Mass Bash. I also seem to recall Buddy Emmons using a bar with a red light coming off the tip during one of the ISGC's back in the late 70's or early 80's. They turned most of the lights off in the hall and the effect was soooo cool!

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 2:56 am    

Peter B.,

Thanks for the uplifting support, which was conveyed to me via the S.G. Forum. Your kind words of interest, help to override adverse challenges, that appear as subtle mockeries. You have rekindled the desire to carry on with new ideas, that help to build a variety of interests, associated with the steel guitar. I am heeding your request for pics, and they will be completed soon.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 05 December 2002 at 09:17 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 4:51 am    

Lee B.,

I really appreciate the concerted effort to dwell on the parallax, which would certainly produce problems, if it existed in connection with the H.U.F. (Upright Fretboard). Fortunately, it doesn't exist, due to the minimal viewing distance associated in its close proximity to the outer 1st string.
Wouldn't the same difference occur while playing the E9th neck of the dbl. 10, or dbl. 12 steel guitars? The human eye is very complicated, and a natural blind spot exists in the eyes of everyone. I regard the H.U.F. as a method of scanning the fretboard clearly, and the left hand is no longer able to obliterate the frets as I move to positions on the left of the bar placement. I also credit the design for eliminating a major stumbling block in steel guitar advancement.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 05 December 2002 at 09:26 AM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 9:44 am    

I heard the H.U.F. might be offered as an option on the new MSA's. Could this be true?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 4:21 am    

Jim Smith,

Thank you for your reliable input on the Steel Guitar Forum. Your visits to The Annual Massachusetts Steel Guitar Bashes have enriched the event's purpose, by sharing with others, your great talent, and knowledge of the steel guitar. Your technical expertise in the mechanics of the instrument we all enjoy, is well established. I hope to see you in 2003.

Bill H.

Mark Zinns

Oakland CA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 2:16 pm    

As a neutral observer of this thread, I'm getting a big chuckle every time I look at it. Bill H., I too would like some pictures and more detailed descriptions of your ideas. They are truely interesting. As for the few people who seem a little annoyed with Bill H. and his claims, well I can't blame you. Let's remember that this is a hobby for many of us and should therefor be enjoyable. Even if you make your living playing, I don't think someone making claims about a new invention should ruin your day.

------------------
Sierra U-12
Sho-Bud D-12
Fender Dual Professional

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 3:13 pm    

For what it's worth, I have an extra fret board, identicle to the one on my steel, and had it temporarily mounted ala Bills H.U.F., just to see what all the comotion is all about.
I see what yer sayin', Bill! (literally!).

My personal preferance is for a traditional under the strings fretboard, but would like the fretboard to be closer to the strings from fret 0-12.