The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  right knee verticle knee?
TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 10:24 am    

does anyone have this change, right knee vert. I realize the voulme pedal might give it trouble but it seems like it would be good to have to access both the e9 and c6 neck without having to stagger a knee and only use it for one neck.Thinking about adding this to a mullen guitar. trap

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 10:34 am    

I don't have a RK vertical, but I have inside and outside knee levers for RKL. I think Tom Brumley has this setup for the RKR. I think this would work better than a vertical, there is no interferance with volume pedal operation.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 10:37 am    

I've seen several Sierra steels leave the factory with RKV's.
Some have LKV, LKV2, as well as RKV and RKV2.

Some peoples kids, huh?!

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 10:42 am    

I had a RKV on my D-12 Dekley but could never get used to it and finally removed the hardware last summer. I'm tall and have my guitar raised anyway but I had to raise the guitar an extra 1/2" or so to give room to work that lever. Now that I've lightened my guitar considerably my next project is to lower the guitar to reclaim the 1/2".

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@attbi.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden D-12 (coming soon)=-
Stereo Steel rig w/Boss GX-700
IVL SteelRider w/JV-880

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 11:42 am    

I've considered it but the deciding factor against doing it was not so much volume pedal stuff - I'm sure I could get used to that. It was more height and clearance issues.I just don't see how I could get the guitar high enough to make the RKV work without having the LKV hangin WAY down.I have pondered doing away with the volume pedal in favor of a palm operated roller bar and putting 2 Crawford clusters on there - one for each knee.Also,that way you could break the 8 pedals into 2 sets of 4 - one under each foot and then play w/both feet. -MJ-

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 1:36 pm    

Trap,

I have a right verticle on my Sierra 12. It's tuned to Bb...my left verticle is tuned to F# to G. You have to put your volume pedal to the side. It's a little tricky comeing off the volume pedal to use the verticle lever and then getting back on without disrupting the volume setting...but it just takes a little practice...like everything with this contraption!

I made the verticle out of some aluminum bar stock I had, with the help of a (home)machinist who lives in my neighborhood. I also had a spare "mobil" knee lever mechanism (I believe this is unique to Sierra).