The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is it about Zum's?
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 8:46 am    

What do player's like most about their Zum's?

Jim Gaines

Independence, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 9:08 am    

Everything

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 9:08 am    

yes

Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 10:00 am    

YES! YES!!!!!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 11:28 am    

Umm, great modern tone (You'll never confuse it with a Bud, but if you wanted Bud or ZB tone, you wouldn't buy a Fessy either)
Playability (There's a thread here about just that)
Nearly unmatched tuning stability. I can tune my Zum for a Sunday jam session, maybe tweak it a bit as I'm playing it (not much), put it in the case, put it in the sleeper of a Kenworth, do 5000 miles (with it standing on end in the sleeper closet), take it out and find all changes still good, and 18 or 19 strings out of 20 still good.
It's as solid as an MSA but lots lighter.

Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 11:40 am    

It must be that certain Zumthing
I can hear the groans now....

Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 12:06 pm    

It probably has something to do with the guy who designed and builds them; I think his name is Zeus Bumsteg?? Smile

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 12:43 pm    

As other's have said everything...... The only negative was the long wait when ordering a new one. As my Grandpa would say, "good things come to those that wait!"

Robert

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 3:50 pm    

The sound...and it plays great...

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 7:41 pm    

Talkative bunch! Yes?

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 8:10 pm     Zums

Here are a few reasons why I chose Zum...they are solid as a rock, look great, play great, sound great, built like a tank, made with premium materials, have superior craftsmanship, and were (and still are) played by some of the greats of pedal steel to include:

John Hughey (Vince Gill)
Buddy Emmons
Hal Rug
Jack Smith (of Happy Goodmans fame)
Gary Carter (Marty Stewart)
Mike Daly (George Strait)
Wayne Dahl (Martina McBride)
Dean Holman (Ricky Skaggs)
Bruce Bouton
Doug Jernigan
Tommy Dodd
Mike Sweeney
Jeff Newman
And Others...

Success leaves clues. If you have any doubt as to why Zums are so special, just look around and see who is playing them. The pros don't lie.

Maybe some of those mentioned above could comment too!

Don

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 9:34 pm    

Steve Fishell-he played for Emmylou Harris and also appeared in McBride & The Ride's "Every Step Of The Way" video in 1990, playing his 1982 Zum-he was the steel player on their first record. Also, Jim Bob Gairrett played a red Zum with Kenny Chesney, and Kenny's former acoustic guitarist, Tim Hensley was also a Zumsteel player. Myron Smith played his Zumsteel on the Carolina Opry in the 80s, and Rusty Danmyer used to play a Zum with Lee Ann Womack and LeAnn Rimes-Randy Beavers plays his Zum with Lee Ann Womack now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 May 2014 5:39 am    

Gary Carter's sound through a Fender amp on the Marty Stuart Show does it for me.

My little Stage One hasn't let me down in the nearly two years I've been playing. The pedals and levers allow full expression and the supporting mechanical design is what one would expect in a professional grade instrument. Thank you Doug and Bruce!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 9:36 am    

Although I've never played a Zum, I've gotta say I love how they look and sound. They're definitely great pedal steel guitars!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 2:02 pm    

At the time I decided to get a new pedal steel guitar I took my time looking at and playing all of them. They were all nice to look at and sounded quite similar but when it came to the feel and playability I thought the Zumsteel had an edge on all of them. I've played a number of other brands since I bought the Zumsteel but always wind up comparing them to Bruce's master-piece.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 2:23 pm     The reason for my question?

My new guitar !

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 5:33 pm    

you guys forgot the part about they hold their value - thats a major criteria when i go to spend that kind of money.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 6:39 pm     Zum

So many reasons to love the Zum , in addition to holding their value, take a look at how quickly they sell on the forum, particularly the newer models, and the Hybrids....

Some last only minutes, even in this market. I'm just guessing , but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point , well down the road , if hybrids and recent Zums go up in value, not unlike The market value of a Franklin.

I'm no expert, but can anyone think of another steel besides a franklin that sells as soon as it's posted like the newer Zums ?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 7:43 pm    

i consider the earlier (80's) models as good or even better tone wise.

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 2:45 am    

I recently bought Paddy Long's 'old' Zum. After playing a Sho-Bud D10 for about 5 years, I have discovered why I was struggling with my playing. Although I love my old 'Bud', It was too heavy and 'clunky' and I couldn't get a nice sound from it.
The Zum, along with a Nashville 1000 amp, has completely changed my playing and sound. It stays in tune and feels nice to play (like when I bought my Taylor Guitar - I wondered why I wasted my time on cheap guitars). It has renewed my desire to develop as a psg player.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 4:10 am    

Steve, I don't know about quickness of sale, but I've noticed Fulawkas sell used for more than Ed sells them for.
Resale value of a Zum is immaterial. Mine ain't going anywhere.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 9:47 am     Resale and quick sale

Lane, I'm with you, mine isn't going anywhere either. Previous posters mentioned potential resale value as being an issue, for that reason, it's not immaterial, at least not to them.

I'd say your comparison to Fulawkas is a good one. Both built by a master craftsman , one at a time, with a very long wait. That might be a key to them holding their value. Bruce wouldn't take a new order last time I asked. Eddie isn't getting any younger , but last time I spoke with him, he didn't mention slowing down.

I guess a lot of this is regarding market dynamics of WHEN a steel is in demand, not as much WHY the steel is in demand , which is what the OP had asked, but it believe it is a factor.

I'm lucky, I own a Fulawka and a Zum hybrid. Like you, I can't imagine selling either, and really appreciate what I've got.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 12:05 pm    

There have been many steels modelled after the zum design...how do they compare to the real thing?

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 2:48 pm    

I have an 82 Zum SD-12 Uni. I have debated selling it several times because I prefer an S-12. When I heard Bruce would never build another 12 string that did it for me.

It's going to live at Billy Knowles shop for awhile. Now that Tommy Whites ZB is done Billy said he has time to refurb my Zum. He rebuilt the changer for me a couple of years ago. Now it's time to do the rest of the guitar.

I'm as exited as a kid waiting on Christmas. I've owned Emmons, Shobud,BMI, Carters and Zum. By far the best sounding, playing, looking guitar is my Zum. Like Lane said its rock solid. This guitar has been through some abuse and seen way too many nights in smokey bars and looks like it. But it still plays and sounds great. When Billy is done with it it will look great again too.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 4:38 pm    

I put an order in 2 or 3 weeks ago - what's the wait time these days? 12 months? 18? 24 months?.
I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks, bk