The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1st String to G#
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 4:23 am    

Hi Everyone,

Got my "new" Franklin yesterday and all is going well except that I cannot get the 1st string to pull all the way to G#. Have tried the normal fixes...change string from 12 to 14 (that made it worse) and increased lever travel to the max.
It appears that the finger is at it's maximum travel when I try the pull.

I have it on my RKR along with the 2nd string raise which is no problem at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark T.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 4:39 am    

Hey Mark, yes you definitely need a 12 for a first string. I don't remember exactly the Franklin is configured but you need to put the pull rod for #1 in the bellcrank hole furthest from the guitar body and the changer end use the hole nearest the topside or pick-up side of the guitar. If this is too much angle, you may need to bend a rod..and of course you need to adjust your knee lever stop to accomodate the long travel needed to pull that string up a whole tone. Both of my guitars require this much leverage for this pull..yours may not so you could try the bottom hole in the raise changer end but most have to use the top one.
Hope this helps. JO
You might just try adjusting the stop first...before you go to the trouble of changing the pull rod position.
The Franklins definitely are the ones that know about this change so it any guitar can do it, it has to be this one.

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 02 November 2002 at 04:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 02 November 2002 at 04:45 AM.]

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 5:36 am    

Like Jerry says, the holes at the changer each are capable of different amounts of travel. The hole nearest the top of the guitar, gives you the least amount of travel, the third one down, gives the most. I think that's the hole you need to connect the rod to. Take a look at which hole is used for the 2nd string raise, it's probably the third one. I have a .013 on my Carter and raise it to G# with no problem. Carter has charts on their web page which give good information on this subject.

------------------
Bill Moore...
my steel guitar web page

[This message was edited by Bill Moore on 02 November 2002 at 05:43 AM.]

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 7:24 am    

Thanks for the help everyone. I am down to a 10 and am soooooo close but not quite there. My main problem is that everything is maxed out. Top slot in changer,,,,bottom slot in bell crank, full pedal travel.

Don't want to go any lighter than a ten if I can avoid it.

Willing to listen to all ideas.

regards and thanks to all.

mark T.

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 7:55 am    

Mark, The only thing I can think of is the lowering return spring not holding the lowering finger of the changer on the rest when the raise is attempted. Make sure the raise finger is the only part of the changer leaving the stop. If the lowering finger is moving on the raise, an adjustment of the return spring is required. Don't over tighten the spring. Tighten just enough to keep the lowering finger on the rest when the raise is attempted. If this is not the cause of the problem, a phone call to Mr. Franklin would be in order.
Good Luck, Leon

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 7:58 am    

Mark, I would suggest you put a .012 string back on the guitar, then back the raise nylon tuner completely off until the string does not raise at all. Then tighten the lower return spring about 4 to 6 turns if there is an adjustment which I am almost sure there is. Now start tuning the nylon tuner as you activate the lever and it should pull to G# with ease. I think the pull is overpowering the lower return spring and you might have overtuned while trying to compensate for the weak spring tension. After you do this you may need to reduce some of the travel if you have it set to the max.
Jerry

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 8:00 am    

Sorry Leon, I was answering at the same time you were and you have faster fingers than I do.
Jerry

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 8:28 am    

Hey Mark,
Jerry & Leon hit it right on the head.
I had the same problem with my old
Professional.
Tightened the lowering finger return spring
so it held back that part while trying to
raise up to G# and that did the trick!

[This message was edited by Jay Ganz on 02 November 2002 at 08:30 AM.]

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 8:59 am    

You did not state whether this was a new or used Franklin.

However, I know that Paul Franklin, Sr. will be glad to give you the advice you need. Give him a call.

bill

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 11:27 am    

I have to go along with Jerry and the boys.The return spring is to loose.Unless you have something wedged in the changer.Or if you bought and old one that is all gunked up.I have the same pulls + some.My knee lever travel is short and pretty soft.--------------bb

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 1:27 pm    

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help. With a 0.10 I can get it to work. The twelve did not work at all. Not sure what is going on but there probably is some defect in the changer that I can't see. There was a lot of junk in it, which I removed with a can of compressed air.

Perhaps there is the unkown fuzz ball lurking :-)

Thanks again and I will gladly try any other ideas.

Regards,

Mark T.

Dennis Boyd

Suisun City, CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 12:03 am    

Mark,

Make sure the 2nd string pull is backed off compleatly before adjusting the longest pull on the 1st string. Then use all the other guy's techniques to finish that pull. Once the longest pull is set, adjust the 2nd string pull. Good luck.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 8:07 am    

Mark if this an old guitar, and I get the feeling it is.Tighten the lower return spring all the way down.Sometimes these springs can go bad.If it still doesn't pull to pitch even with a .013, and the changer is clear of broken strings etc.Try another spring.If you don't have one.Borrow one from say the 8th string on C6th.Chances are it's not had much use and should be in good shape.Hope this helps!---------bb

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 12:47 pm    

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. It was a change problem but cured. The finger was hitting the wood cutout for the changer on the body and while there was enough travel to get the string to a G, the finger was not getting the full amount of travel that is possible. That has been fixed and while there is more travel, I do suspect that the return spring is not working up to full strength. Will remedy that later.

What a great group...

Thanks

Mark T.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:55 pm    

I use a .015 for my 1st and it goes up without a problem....in fact it goes up smoother than a 12 or 13. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 6:54 am    

I'm surprised that a .015" will raise to G# without breaking!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 8:25 am    

I wouldn't want to be playing it when it did break. Ouch that's gotta hurt.
Anyone ever broke the 4th and the 5th strings simultaneously? I've been playing for 30 years.I had this happen twice within a 2 year period.I know what you're thinking.But the guitar did not malfunction.(Over pull)It happened on 2 different guitars.It was just one of those strange things that can happen.I just about lost the bar both times.But I some how held on.Kinda scared me though.

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 09 November 2002 at 08:28 AM.]