The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modern Christian Music and Steel Guitar's Role
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 2:32 pm    

My wife and I attend a great church in Franklin, TN. They have been asking me to play for sometime in the band. So, I told them I would love to but I didn't want them to change one single thing from what they ordinarily do musically. I know how that can be sometimes with modern praise and worship music they want to try to do something that would fit the steel guitar. I told them that wasn't necessary.

So all that said, my fellow steel guitarist, don't be intimidated by modern Praise and Worship music. It actually can be a ton of fun on steel guitar. Sure, you don't play what you would on "Farewell Party" but you can definitely make it work.

Last edited by Zane King on 23 May 2014 7:45 am; edited 4 times in total

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 4:10 pm    

You go brother Zane Smile

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 5:17 pm    

I hope he had a girlfriend Zane! Laughing Laughing

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 11:36 pm     Canned In The Church Band.

I've been canned from a church band, but I thought it was because I was ugly. Well, I guess it was because I was ugly, they really did seem to like my steel playin', but my overalls and long whiskers, was just to much, in the Contemporary setting. And for TV it just didn't work. Maybe you were better looking Zane, so the guitarist had to go. Keep on Pickin' son.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 2:09 am    

I have played a lot of the praise and worship music in church. However, this country boy just prefers good ole country so I backed out and the younger folks have my place. With steel players using different effects today steel can fit in, even without effects. I bet Zane you will do an excellent job for them.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 5:03 am    

Paul i did the same thing . I felt it was a waste of my time to do the two hour rehearsal to only play big chords behind the band . There were very few places that i felt comfortable playing fills . Along with some other things that came up i told them i would back out and let them have it . In am not a fan at all of the new what they call praise and worship music . Just give me songs from the ''red back '' hymnals and i'm happy . There isn't enough '' Southern Gospel '' in the worship service to suit me . So i suppose if you like the new music then go for it , i don't . If there was a mixture of both then i would still be in the band . G.P.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 5:23 am    

Gary Preston wrote:
Just give me songs from the ''red back '' hymnals and i'm happy .

Gary, I'm not religious but one of my regular practice exercises (as a relative beginner) is "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee", which I recall from one of those red covered hymnals from my childhood. It's quite helpful as a scale / pedal exercise, and the tune comes back to me easily after more than a half-century. I will admit it does not sound nearly as impressive coming from my steel as it used to thundering out of the huge pipes of the organ!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 5:32 am    

I did 6 years in a full Pentecostal band on BASS...an 8 piece band..3 Sunday services, a Wed night service and rehearsals...truth be known, as much as I wanted to be the guitar player it would have been a good fit for me. OR on Steel... Playing Bass was perfect , they loved the Bass being assertive, but at the end of the day they wanted the guitars to be very mild, to the point of boring for the player. Grand Piano's and keyboards rule the day in Church. I think I played Steel twice for special services over that entire 6 years !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 6:09 am    

I agree with most of what you all are saying. As most of you know, I like it all. I just love the challenge of continuing to take the steel guitar into settings where it is not the norm. Many have walked before me doing this and I'm happy to continue that tradition! Very Happy

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 7:32 am     Really It wasn't me

I tried the Praise Band thing. I didn't think it was working so I quit. I thought it was my youth, inexperience personality and lack of money. Now you guys have made my days. Hey guitar players were gtting paid. They weren't volunteers?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 7:33 am    

I am not a big fan of the new Christian 7/11 music:
(seven lyrics repeated 11 times). Whoa!

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 8:45 am     Honky Tonk Instrument?

Zane, I recall A story you once related some years ago. It seems one of your first experiences in playing steel in church was an angry lady, who admonished you for bringing that "Honky Tonk" instrument into the church. Laughing

Roger

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 9:16 am    

I play hymns on steel at my church. Back in 2011, I shared my testimony with the people at my little church and at the time, they'd never heard or seen a pedal steel guitar. I took my Jackson Blackjack Custom and played "Old Rugged Cross" and they loved it! Since then, I've played steel in church quite a few times. Our greeting songs are usually contemporary praise songs and a lot of them would sound great with steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 9:44 am    

You folks need to move to Texas and go to Cowboy Church! They love steel guitar and fiddle! Cowboy Church is big in Texas.

Being my paying gig has nothing to do with music, I have very little time to devote to a Honky Tonk band, (although that's the music I love). As such I practice once a week with at Cowboy Church band and we play once a month on the second Sunday of the Month.

Our music ranges from standard hymns to country classic like "Family Bible". I switch out between steel and piano. Only down side is we play in a tent out in the pasture!

It's a way to give back a bit as well.

Mack

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 10:38 am     Modern P&W

Just finished an 8-week gig at my church. The Worship Leader asked me if I was interested in playing pedal steel with the praise band during Lent season this year, and I jumped at the chance. They do basically all modern P&W, even though we're in Cumming, GA, hometown of Junior Samples!

They didn't change anything to accomodate me, but they were doing some stuff with a Hillsong acoustic and Mumford & Sons feel. He also invited my banjo-playing friend to join them! As you can see, I'm stage right, between the banjo player and the drummer, who happens to be my son. It was wonderful to play this gig with my son, that was such an added bonus!

I can certainly relate to many of the comments here regarding contemporary Christian music, since I definitely prefer the "red back hymnal" standards, as well as classic country. However, I learned a lot from this gig. Learning 3-5 new songs each week, and songs which I'm really not that familiar with, certainly not familiar with playing them. Various keys, and minor chords galore, I'm sure ol' Hank was turning over in his grave! But I learned to "pick my spots" , to figure out something that sounds appropriate, and actually found quite a few good fill opportunities, in addition to doing some padding, swells, etc.

Really improved my musicianship, but hey, I'm not that good anyway, having played steel for just 3+ years now. Since I'm just a hack, no way was I replacing the lead guitar player!

The experience opened my mind a bit as well. I've always been one of those who "like both types of music, country AND western", yet there was something about playing pedal steel to these songs that seemed to help make my peace with them...

So after Easter, the Worship Leader invited me, the banjo player, and the rest of our ragtag oldtime band (with acoustic guitar, mando, bass) do some "old standards" that next week, a really fun experience for which we received some nice compliments and requests for "more".

Last edited by John Peay on 15 May 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 3:26 pm    

John - thanks so much for contributing to this thread. That was very well done and I enjoyed reading your experience.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 6:32 pm    

At the risk of highjacking Zane's thread here is my story.......

I am a member of a "modern" non denominational church with a contemporary praise band also in Cumming, GA. (Mountain Lake Church) For the three plus years I have been there, the Worship Arts Pastor has been wanting to use me in the band some. He likes the sound of steel guitar. At first I was hesitant and then agreed, then we had schedule conflicts (2 services Saturday afternoon and two Sunday morning tie up the weekend). But, I am now scheduled to play the last weekend of the month.

Then Tuesday of last week, the Worship Pastor called at the last minute and asked if I could work it in for this past weekend too. The message series for a few weeks is "As for Me and My House". They were going to use the Miranda Lambert song, "The House That Built Me". Before you scoff listen to the words. It's complimentary for the message!

The Worship pastor has really good ears and like a good producer identified some definite places he wanted me to fill on the other two contemporary songs, "Awaken Me" and "Let It Be Known". "Let It Be Known" has two rap verses! The line up was drums, bass, electric, flat top, steel, and 4 vocals. No piano.

My son is on the staff of the church. On Tuesday morning at the staff meeting they review the highlights of the weekend's services. The number one item the pastors discussed Tuesday was having the steel guitar in the band!

Anyway, I did it and will be back in two weeks.

Another cool thing was playing in a new technical environment. I play a 3,000 seat auditorium a few times a year but have never done in ear monitors. This stage is in-ears with personal Axiom monitors, click tracks, loops, and isolation cabinets for the amps behind the stage. Way cool!

Church and music must evolve if it is to stay relevant. Much as I love traditional southern gospel, I'm pretty sure Peter didn't have The Sego Brothers and Naomi with him when he went to Rome. Very Happy

Last edited by Bill Cunningham on 16 May 2014 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 6:42 pm    

Bill - welcome! Great stuff there. That setup is very much like ours with click tracks, in ear monitors (Axiom). I'm with you on all what you said. Good times ahead for steelers in all of church music.

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 7:09 pm     Great Stuff !

Zane...thanks for the encouragment, I'll do it again for sure if I get asked.

Bill...good to hear about your experience, I just hope my church doesn't hear you play, as I'll be out of a gig, ha !

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 8:38 pm     Gospel Steel Guitar

I am very blessed, in that our church does a lot of country gospel. My steel fits like a hand in glove; of course it helps when your the pastor. Winking

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 2:14 am    

Mack brought up a point about the Cowboy Churches in Texas. They are popping up everyhere. I helped one for a few months on Thursday evenings. They did pay the musicians but the Pastor got where he wanted praise and worship music but wanted it country. It just did not work. They changed their services to Sunday night and I had to move on since I would not miss my own church services.

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 3:33 am    

I am with Erv

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 5:49 am    

One more thing if i may . After a while in the band it came to me that most of the songs had the same chord progressions to them . They all sounded the same for the most part . Yes it was a new direction for my music but after leaving the team i don't miss it . I like music that has a good Piano , Guitar and Steel guitar parts in them . To me it appears that the music is geared toward the young people . I know that you have to make a place for them but it appears that the people that are holding down the fort ( if you will ) are being left behind . As i said if there were a mixture of old and new i could accept that but that's not the case at our Church . I suppose i'm old fashion when it comes to music in the Church . But i can't stand to hear distortion or a phase shifter ,etc . in the worship service . I am aware that some players do know how to use these effects but most don't . So i have found myself just looking at the words on the power point screen and kinda examining them for content . Maybe not the best thing to do but i can't help it . Did i say i was old fashion ? Keep me in your prayers concerning this . G.P.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 7:12 am    

The old gospel songs are a three minute sermon.
I find the new contemporary songs to be just "vain repetitions".

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 8:37 am    

Bill Cunningham wrote:

Church and music must evolve if it is to stay relevant. Much as I love traditional southern gospel, I'm pretty sure Peter didn't have The Sego Brothers and Naomi with him when he went to Rome. Very Happy

Bill- when I lived in KY on a job assignment we had a preacher that stated from the pulpit that " if the King James Bible was good enough for Paul and Silas, it was good enough for him" Smile