The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Pedal Steel Owners I need your help please
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 5:07 pm    

Owners of the model 400,800, 1000, 2000 models.....I'm trying to get the FENDER sticker that is located on the front apron on the changer side....like the one in the pic.
If you have a guitar with this decal please take a close-up pic and tell me the dimensions of the white border. I'll have one made if I can't buy one.

Thank you!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 7:23 pm    

I saw your Fender yesterday. Velly nice !!!!!

Maybe you can have Jim Palenscar do the artwork and have a decal made by a print shop. The T-Shirt Factory (Dave Preston) in Oceanside could probably do it.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 May 2014 7:34 pm    

Thanks Tom. Jim's working so hard on the knee levers I decided to take care of the decal. There's a local graphic shop that should be able to help. I just need a good pic of an existing decal. Take care, Marty B

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 10:44 am    

Hi Marty, I have an 800 with that logo. It's buried away in its case but I can dig it out when I get home. I believe the badge is a piece of aluminum or something with just black paint and exposed aluminum, no white, but not certain. I haven't looked at it in a while. Pic later unless someone else has one handy.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 12 May 2014 11:31 am    

Thanks Ian! Plse include the dimensions; I want mine to look as original as possible. Thanks again!

Nathan Hofer

Columbia, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 1:30 pm    

Dear Marty,

Here is a picture of the badge from my 400. I had a very hard time getting a really good picture with good clean lines. But I did my best. The dimensions are: 3 and 3/8 inches wide by 1 and 1/4 inch tall. The border is precisely 1/16 inch thick. Hope this helps:

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 12 May 2014 1:32 pm    

Nathan,
Thank you very much!!

Nathan Hofer

Columbia, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 1:38 pm    

It's my pleasure! Hope it works.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 2:03 pm    

That metal decal is nearly impossible to find! But this tweed-amp nameplate, from Antique Electronics, would be a reasonable (if not exact) substitute. Wink

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 12 May 2014 2:20 pm    

Thanks for the idea Donny!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 3:27 pm    

ok here are a couple of images. It is just a thick white vinyl sticker, ~3 5/16" x 1 1/4". Mine is a kinda dinged up, so the little red-horned graphic designer on my shoulder made me clean up the image and convert it to a scalable .eps file. Maybe you could make two and send me one! The b&w image below is a high res .jpg but shoot me an email and I can send them with out the little SGF.com thingy that will appear in the corner, can send the .eps file that is scaled to the exact size for your print shop to use too (no way to post it on the forum). You could probably even find some good quality sticky back vinyl at Office Depot or something and make it your yourself.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 3:33 pm    

Also was going to mention, fwiw, on my 800 the sticker is much closer to the end than it is on Nathan's 400, the left edge is exactly 1" from the end, including the radius in the frame. You can just see the end of the wood in the pic.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 12 May 2014 3:34 pm    

Ian. I have a graphic shop working on it and I ordered some extras. I'll be in touch.

Steven Husting

Germany
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 10:35 pm    

Places that do auto vinyl stuff (flames, whatever) can do this. The stuff is indestructible, too.

Steven

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2014 7:23 pm    

Ian Worley wrote:
ok here are a couple of images. It is just a thick white vinyl sticker, ~3 5/16" x 1 1/4".

Just for point of information, the original decals were not black and white, but actually a black and silver aluminum foil decal . These decals were made using a photo-etch process, and are the same type as those used on many pieces of military hardware. Cool

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 13 May 2014 7:39 pm    

Donny, I think you're talkin' a little further back in time. I know the badges on amps from the '50s were aluminum, perhaps on the older 400/1000 psgs too, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that anything on this guitar is not 100% original. I believe this one was built in '64 but I've never taken the tuner pan out to check for sure.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 9:35 am    

If you search the internet for Fender memorobelia you'll find all sorts of key rings, belt buckles, etc. I once found that logo on a belt buckle which just needed to be flattened out. There are millions of Fender enthusiasts in this world. We just think of Fender steel guitars, but we're in the minority of a gigantic market, and the Fender logo appears on all sorts of artwork, including amplifiers. See what you can find. Good luck.

By the way, Fender transfers used to be available from Bobbe Seymour. That's where I've bought them in the past when I've restored Fender instruments. Maybe whoever ends up with his inventory will put them back on the market some day.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 1:47 pm    

Ian Worley wrote:
Donny, I think you're talkin' a little further back in time. I know the badges on amps from the '50s were aluminum, perhaps on the older 400/1000 psgs too, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that anything on this guitar is not 100% original. I believe this one was built in '64 but I've never taken the tuner pan out to check for sure.

Ian, your own photo shows a white ruler with a woodgrain center, and an original black-on-silver aluminum decal. Oh Well Aluminum decals were used back in the day because they didn't fade, didn't crack, and didn't shrink (like the old plastic ones would).

Winking

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 3:03 pm    

I don't want to quibble, but yes the ruler is whiter than the logo, however, the logo is not aluminum. I don't believe for Marty's purposes that a vinyl badge on a '60s guitar would be historically incorrect. I just looked at it again, the scrapes and impressions you see in the pic are pliable, the little nick that's missing on top has a slightly loose edge on the left.

I not sayin' Fender didn't ever use aluminum badges and for good reason as you mention, just that this one isn't aluminum. It's vinyl or something similar. I'd invite you over to have a look 'cept you're 3000 miles away, but if you're ever in the neighborhood you should stop by for beer! Winking (fwiw, the one in Nathan's pic looks exactly the same to me)

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 7:49 am    

Every one I've ever owned or worked on that's had a badge has had an aluminum one. Any vinyl badge would be a repro.

Did you also post this on the Fender Steel Forum? I seem to recall several being swapped back and forth there.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 11:45 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Every one I've ever owned or worked on that's had a badge has had an aluminum one. Any vinyl badge would be a repro.

For whatever reason I had always assumed it was aluminum too until the other day when I looked closely in response to Marty's post. Perhaps they changed this in the '60s?

How many Fenders are you talking Jim, and do you have any of them now? Like I said above, I'm not saying you (or Donny) are wrong, but I'm not seeing or hearing anything to substantiate that only an aluminum logo is correct, or that Fender never used anything else. My scant evidence is pretty definitive that perhaps they did, at least on my '64 800. I do not believe it has been altered or changed in any way.

I'm wondering if you or anyone else who has actually has one these steels in hand right now can have a close look and report back as to badge material and year/model of the git. Nathan..?

EDIT: A friend I was just talking with who is a Fender amp aficionado says it might be some kind of a thin coated foil sticker, so the surface would be soft but the backing would be firm and metallic. I'm gonna dig her out again when I get home an have another look with my extra strong reading glasses.

Last edited by Ian Worley on 15 May 2014 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 12:14 pm    

the badge by the ruler sure looks like metal to me!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 9:39 am    

A few years ago I restored the above Fender. I chose to cover it in the faux leather used on amplifiers. The logo at the front is from a Fender amplifier, which I had no problem finding on eBay, and the little logo in the centre on the player's side started out as a key ring, from which I removed the little loop. Yes, I know it's not an original finish, but I like the look of it.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 2:53 pm    

So I peeled the corner up with an Exacto knife -- it's not a plate of aluminum, but it is made of aluminum (foil), so Donny and Jim are correct. It is a foil sticker with a printed coating. We brought it out into the sunlight, my neighbor thinks it has some sort of resin base coat for printing on, I don't know how to tell for sure. He thinks the light/white part is ink, but his wife says it is just aluminum with a clear coating. It looks very white to me in the bright light, not metallic, but I can't tell for sure. I'm guessing it's way too late to matter for Marty anyway, he has probably already made the logo, but if not you might ask them about sticky-back foil for the sake of authenticity.