The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacing tuning machines
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 5:42 am    

Sperzel's come in different shaft lengths. When I replaced the original 1981 Sperzel tuners on my Franklin with new ones about 3 years ago, I talked to Sperzel and they wanted to know what brand guitar I had so they could provide the correct length shafts. It took about 2 months to get the new tuners, I assume they custom made them for my guitar.

I notice the two end tuners on the GFI are very close together so shaft length is important. My Wife's GFI Expo S-10 is the same way, very close at the end. Her Expo has Grover tuners.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 6:49 am    

To me, they look "elcheapo", but what do you guys think about the WD Music brand tuners? Just curious... Oh Well

That said, I will probably go with the Grover 210s because they sell them in a set for pedal steel.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 8:10 am    

Scott, your tuning machines are on backwards! They should be installed so that the string tension is pulling the gears together, not spreading them apart. If the mounting screw holes permit it, you could try switching the tuners side to side to fix your problem. FWIW, I looked at the GFI website and it looks like the Student models are still built this way. I have no idea why. HTH. Good luck.

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 8:58 am    

Michael Maddex wrote:
Scott, your tuning machines are on backwards! They should be installed so that the string tension is pulling the gears together, not spreading them apart. If the mounting screw holes permit it, you could try switching the tuners side to side to fix your problem. FWIW, I looked at the GFI website and it looks like the Student models are still built this way. I have no idea why. HTH. Good luck.

My GFI student was the same, the tuners were on back to front. It was not possible to change them around the other way without drilling new screw holes.

I suspect that this is why when tuning down, the pitch would stay the same for some time whilst turning the peg, then all of a sudden there was big drop in pitch. Then tuning up to pitch became laborious because if you went slightly sharp, you had to go through the same process again.

I don't know if this is what you're experiencing Scott, but it used to annoy me a bit. Once in pitch it was fine.

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 14 May 2014 10:20 am    

Geoff, you hit the nail on the head!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!