The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Hauler?? HAnd Trucks
Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 5:19 am    

Looking for a way to transport a PSG from the vehicle to the venue without having to carry it. Bad Knee's, legs and Shoulder.
Needs to fit in the trunk of a car and be super light weight.

Thanks

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 5:26 am    

Two solutions spring readily to mind:
Those convertible hand trucks that are also dollies. They work a treat, but you can end up with a heavy load in one shot. Upside: the amp and seat go in the same trip. Downside: with a big amp that can get heavy. I used to do that with a push-pull D-10 and a Session 500
Or, get a set of wheeled split cases. Upside: lighter weight per trip. Downside: more trips.
Your pain-in-the-ass vs. physical pain balance will guide your decision, I guess.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 5:36 am    

Magna Carts are very handy and inexpensive. You can find them at home improvement or big box warehouse stores. Last I knew, they cost less than $25.

Gary Reed

Post  Posted 4 May 2014 5:40 am    

That looks good for $25

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 6:37 am    

I've been using one similar to Rick's picture for a few years. I paid $50 in a Garden Supply store. It was intended for moving bales of Peat Moss.

I'd recommend it. It not heavy duty, if you want that you pay more in both cost and weight.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 6:53 am    

For heavier duty:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rock-n-roller-multi-cart-8-in-1-micro-equipment-transporter-cart

You can see others in the product line too.
The biggest negative is that it is not effective as an upright handcart in spite of the pictures. And it does poorly going over grass or landscape. Those small wheels want to see pavement.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 8:42 am    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
Magna Carts are very handy and inexpensive. You can find them at home improvement or big box warehouse stores. Last I knew, they cost less than $25.

I had one of these that I got at home depot, and after about 5 or 6 uses, I was loading in for a gig, put my Nashville 400 and my pak-a-seat on it and one of the wheels broke off. The wheels are mounted to a plastic piece that pivots open and closed (it had a 150 pound limit and those 2 didn't come close to the limit). I use a regular hand truck now. I also have one like Jon posted. It is great, but when folded, it is still pretty big. I have a vinyl cover on my truck, and that one won't fit, and I don't want to carry my stuff out in the open.

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:06 am    

This is what I use, and I lay the steel on the bottom, put amp and stool and accessory bag on top and haul it away. It collapses and weighs less than 15lbs

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-x-28-in-folding-platform-truck-68896.html
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:31 am    

Pete, i like that one, ill check that one out.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:54 am    

Pete Nicholls wrote:
This is what I use, and I lay the steel on the bottom, put amp and stool and accessory bag on top and haul it away. It collapses and weighs less than 15lbs

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-x-28-in-folding-platform-truck-68896.html

I may have to check out this one. Are the wheels connected with plastic holders? The regular handtruck I use now also turns into a cart like that, but is also a little big and bulky to pack into my truck.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:56 am    

I have a convertible hand truck like this one... not quite as heavy duty, mine does about 300 lbs. Had it since we started our gospel group.

I put steel in case on the bottom, seat and amp on top of the steel, with folding amp stand between the seat and amp.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 10:23 am    

Whatever you get, I would suggest air filled wheels as opposed to hard rubber or plastic wheels. Smoother ride on different types of surfaces.
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 4 May 2014 11:14 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
I have a convertible hand truck like this one... not quite as heavy duty, mine does about 300 lbs. Had it since we started our gospel group.

I put steel in case on the bottom, seat and amp on top of the steel, with folding amp stand between the seat and amp.

That's what I currently do. I still have an issue with putting that into the back of my truck with the nylon cover. Most would say, "why not remove the cover?". Well, it is normally pretty dirty. It covers the equipment for potential thieves. It protects in the rain. AND, if it is not warmed up from sunlight, it gets very hard to secure. The vinyl needs to be able to stretch to hold tight. If I can get one that folds up flatter than the distance from the wheel to the frame of the regular hand truck, that didn't break on use, it would be great.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 12:42 pm    

http://www.uline.com/Grp_282/Hand-Trucks?keywords=hand+trucks

There are a couple of options I see here for a reasonable price.

Friend of mine told me about something John Hughey used but was considerably more expensive.

However, all of the contributions have been great.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 1:05 pm    

My 4-wheeler hand truck is a lot like the one Charley linked to.That 3-in-1 business is very handy if you're doubling on 6 string and need 2 amps.Also very handy for hauling PA mains as well as the road cases,racks,and cable baskets that proliferate in the presence of a gigging band. Winking

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 1:30 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Are the wheels connected with plastic holders?

Don't really know, but have been using it several times a week for over a year and it still works! Get it while it's on sale for $39, I paid $55 for mine!
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:24 pm    

pete

you are point with that device. i ordered one from uline but probably get one of those too!

thanks

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:35 pm    

I have one like Rick posted, been using it a couple years now. Like Lane said, you can get the amp and steel seat in be trip, stand e steel up on end & lower the center of gravity. Real easy to use and mine has held up quite well as I don't take any precautions or kid gloves when folding it back for storage in vehicle. Has saved me over & over!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:43 pm    

The Magna Cart I have has held up very well. Richard is right about the plastic housing on the wheel swivel mechanism, but mine hasn't shown any signs of giving out on me.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 8:23 pm    

I guess I'm old school because I'm still using one like the one pictured below. The Inflatable Tires make a world of difference! It just floats along. Last year I bought one of those heavy duty Rock-and-Roller multi carts, but it was too heavy and bulky for my needs. I used it twice and gave it away! Then I bought the lightweight Magna-Cart, and that's okay for light loads, but I miss the inflated tires. And I have to bend down to reach the handle. So now I'm back to the old hand truck I've been using for 30 years. It just feels right to me.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 10:08 pm    

I use this flat-bed trolley with a handle that just folds down flat. Four wheels; 2 castoring, 2 fixed. Extremely useful and takes a load off your back for sure.

This is how it looks fully loaded:- Williams D10 at bottom, NV112 at front just behind the handle. Gear-bag and music-stand, with a drum-throne and amp-stand on the top.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 10:33 pm    

I figure with one of these, I could have kept my Session 500.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 2:53 am    

Ken, I needed one of those when I had my Marlen D-10!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 8:40 am    

I use an old school hand truck with inflatable tires similar to Doug B's. The only downside is occasionally needing to put air in the tires!

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 10:10 am     Hand trucks

Mine's very similar to Rick B's. It's made by Safeco, bought at Office Depot for about $40. It's been very dependable--I've had it about 10 years. It's the perfect size for me. Big enough to handle the loads I haul and folds small enough to stash in the back seat of my car or somewhere in the trunk. Since I don't drive a truck or van, its perfect for the car.