The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd tone bar
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 4:14 am    

Hey everyone. I recently bought a Jerry Byrd tone bar from Butch at BJS bars to use on my new lap steel. If you haven't tried a BJS bar you should. Anyway I thought I'd try it out on my Pedal Steel and even though it's shorter I was amazed! It feels livelier. Anyone else use a short 8 string bar on their 10 string?

Kc

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 5:08 am     Bar

Herb Remington uses a small bar. I was in his shop several years ago and he explained his reasons, mostly for control. And explained that the bar only covers 4 strings at the most, and usually just two, so why use a big bar. His thoughts, not mine. Herb also does a lot of bar pointing for single string notes.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 8:16 am     I have to agree with you.............

I use an Emmons bar on my Emmons 10-string, It's a little heavier than my Jerry Byrd bar and quite a bit shorter. I use Jerry's size on my seven string Ric'. Could never understand WHY.......anyone would need a longer bar. Does size really count?

As stated above......only about four strings are covered at a time unless it's a special occasion.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 2:10 pm    

Good stuff. I never thought about it as covering x number of strings but now that I have....

Thanks much.....

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 11:01 pm    

Slant.

There are tons of forward slants and somewhat less useful backslants. The forward ones bring up even more of the 6ths to 9ths which are all over a C6th tuning. And there are shapes in a slant that infer leaving out a string in the middle of the slant, same as the straight-bar "grips." Someone told that those can even be made to work!

*(It's a verb! It's an adjective! It's a noun....) Cool

Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 7:47 pm    

Sometimes I like a bigger bar for its tonality even if not its functionality, if that makes any sense. While a smaller bar lends itself to more slanting options, in those contexts where that's unnecessary, I really dig a heavier bar because it just sounds different.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 8:02 pm    

Quote:
It feels livelier

A lighter bar will definitely feel livelier because it's easier to manipulate for slanting, hammer-ons and pull-offs, and other bar tricks. Heavier bars have better tone though. The Dunlop JB bar (#918) seems to be fairly heavy considering it's small size, and I like the tone it produces on lap steel. For pedal steel I prefer the standard, larger bar.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 9:17 am    

Early on, (and sometimes still) I had a bad tendency to lift the bar between notes, so my teacher at the time(don't remember his name) got me a huge steel that was too heavy to lift. I quit using it after I learned not to lift the steel off the strings. I use a Jerry Byrd bar for non-pedal and some pedal work, and I use my old Emmons bar for pedal steel. The longer bar helps with some of the big throws on the C6 neck ("Night Life", e.g.). I think my bad habit came because I played Dobro before steel, and I learned left hand blocking.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8