The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Customer Service -- Above and Beyond
Alan Kirk

Paso Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 5:59 am    

I'm posting to praise Sierra Customer Service because it is the best CS of any company I've ever encountered, hands down.

I bought a 17-year-old Sierra U12, used, from a third party. I've contacted Sierra a few times with questions and Tom Baker has always been very helpful.

Yesterday Tom Baker called me in response to one of my emails. He said he felt he could help me better over the phone than by email.

I think that is going the extra mile. I think it is Customer Service that is above and beyond any reasonable expectation. That type of CS certainly will factor into any future steel purchase I might make.

This is my thank you to Tom Baker and Sierra -- a public testimony.

--Alan Kirk

------------------

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 6:22 am    

Yes, Tom has been very helpful, however, last time I ordered parts, it took about 2 weeks because the owner must approve all orders and he comes in only once or twice a week according to Tom. Therefore, I have become somewhat inventive: If I need to add a rod, I get a coat hanger, straighten it and cut the proper threads; I use Cable Ties to hold the rods in place (100 cost about .35) and they wont come loose until you want to cut them out. Also the white hex nuts can be made of copper tubing and tapped (about .06 each as opposed to $3.95/ea). I really don't know why the owner comes in only once a week to approve orders, but if that's the way they do business, so be it; I'll just stay with my faster method. - Hugh

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 7:18 am    

Dr. Hugh,

Even cleaner, go down to the local welding supply store and pick up a bag of 1/8 aluminum welding rod. You can also get the hex nut for the changer end as a common hardware store part. I epoxy the hex nut onto the "hand threaded" rod...I use my Craftsman tap and die set for this. The rods work great, look great and I have never had a thread pull out. I'll look into your idea of the nylon barrel tuner...yes 25 of them can add up quickly. Some of mine have hardened and will back off while playing. I found that using "lock tight" makes the nut too tight so I've had to get new barrels on occasion.

I agree tha Sierra is very good in the people department and are very generous with their help....but if you need to try a "quick change" of rodding, it so easy to do it yourself.

Tom Jordan

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 8:21 am    

They are wonderful over there ... Just yesterday I received a Bridge that I ordered for my Sierra Laptop 8 ... one with no grooves for the strings.

They took the time to have one produced (they said all the ones they had were already cut) and got it to me in a week!!!!

Made my day

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 25 October 2002 at 11:42 AM.]

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 9:16 am    

I own an 83 Sierra U12 and my experience has been similar, parts and service availability are excellent.

Imagine trying to get service on other products 19 years old.

The worst has to be computers and software. If it more than a couple years old, the answer is "Sorry, that version is no longer supported".

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 10:39 am    

I live just down the street from Sierra and have gotten to know Tom Baker very well this past year or so. To know Tom, is to like him. He is one very nice, down to earth, kinda guy. It's not just a role that he plays while serving in his position at Sierra but rather, it comes from his deepest fiber within his very heart and soul.
Tom is extremely busy most of the time and yet when talking to you....you can't help but feel like you're the most important person in the world.
It's great to do business with Tom Baker and Sierra Guitars. (I DO NOT play one and I have nothing to gain from this volunatary statement)

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 10:56 am    

Nice to see the kudos for Sierra & Tom.

Same good experience with Tom when dealing with him regarding a factory mod on my Sierra SL8 - I have an early one in which the through-the-body ball end holes were a tad small, causing an occasional hang-up when changing strings. Tom was very accomodating in doing a factory mod for me that made the problem go away. It's nice to be able to thank him again.

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 11:56 am    

Ditto!!! I can't say enough about Tom or Don. I have bought 2 guitars from them over the years and will probably buy another in a couple of years. IMO Sierra's are the finest Pedal Steel Guitar on the market. My 1988 S14 plays just as good today as it did the day it arrived. I've made a couple of changes over the years and found that I could ALWAYS count on the folks at Sierra to help me out 100%. Thanks a lot Tom and Don.
Whip

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 7:55 am    

Thanks to everyone in support of Sierra. We try very hard to see to our customers needs. We feel it's very important to provide quality customer service. But as with any production driven business there are expenses and time issues happening behind the scenes that are invisable to the average customer. Dr.Jeffreys please contact me in the future so that I may personally assist you. I will make sure that your parts are sent as soon as possible and will be available to you for any technical questions that you may have.

Sincerely,
David Wright

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

[This message was edited by David Wright on 26 October 2002 at 08:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by David Wright on 26 October 2002 at 08:59 AM.]