Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 4:13 pm    

Someone might be interested in this guitar:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/6033849968.html

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 4:38 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslist

I've emailed the poster about this. In your opinion, would it be a good step up from a Carter Starter? Thanks in advance.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 5:04 pm    

It would be way, way, way up above a Carter Starter.

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 5:47 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslist

I'm seriously considering it. Is it yours?

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 8:19 pm    

Definitely several steps above a Starter, a pro guitar in every way. You would want to consider whether you want to explore either universal tuning or the extended E9 concept, as either way a 12 string is a different animal from the 10 string setup you have on the Starter. I would be one to encourage universal, but that's because I wish I'd gone that way years ago.

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 8:41 pm    

That's a great price too! Assuming there are no issues with it.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 4:10 am    

Hey Scott, No, it is not mine. I just saw it in my local Craigslist and thought someone would love to land a great deal on a 12 string.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 1:09 pm    

I wouldn't wait too long if you're interested. Probably won't last long at that price now that players here have been made aware of it. I'm sorely tempted myself.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 8 Mar 2017 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 1:27 pm    

Any Carter Steel, S10 or D10, or Magnum Guitar would be a giant step up from the Starter. Carter made excellent quality Instruments, the Starter was just that, a Starter.

The S12 is a fine axe , before you buy, know what the Ped/Knee lever setup is as well as the tuning. It may be a tad different than other Steels you are interested in.

Have you not searched the FORUM For Sale section yet ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 1:31 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslist

to Mark: thanks. My understanding is that Extended E9 on an S12 adds two lower strings, one tuned to G# and the lowest to E. That low E is the same as the low E on a standard tuned electric guitar. Being a guitar player, I really miss being able to get that low E and so it seems that Ext E9 is the way for me and the reason I think I should be going from an S10 to a 12.

Tony: that is appearing to be one of my main challenges. I am so used to LKL raising to F and LKR lowering to Eb and ABC pedals at standard Emmons that I don't think I could get used to anything else. I'm not using my right knee levers yet so I don't think they matter at this point.

I really appreciate all the comments and advice!

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 1:54 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslist

Dang. He just sold it. Sad

Ross Fellrath

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 2:17 pm    

how much was it?

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 4:44 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslis

Listed for $1500.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 5:14 pm    

I would buy the sho bud tony is selling over in buy and sell in a heartbeat. That is a guitar for a lifetime.

It's a classic and you are buying from a straight up guy.

There are no caveats or compromises attached to a solid and beautiful guitar like that. In the price range you are in you can find a good deal but you don't have time to sit on your hands and think about it if you see something that suits you.

Losing the Carter might not be so bad. You don't know the condition and those guitars are pretty uneven in the tone department. I owned 2 of them (12st U12s). They are no big deal. I also am of the opinion that 12st guitars are better on paper than in practice.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 11:30 pm    

hmmm... I just saw this , and i am not sure if we are talking about the same guitar, but I just bought a S12 Carter on Nashville Craigs List ... guitar is a mess, stickers all over, scratched end plates, etc ... I had to disassemble the whole guitar to clean it, and was gonna put it back as a U12 with 7+5, but as soon as I start putting all back together, i realized there was parts missing... so now guitar is with Tyler and guys at Steel Guitars Of Nashville for complete set up and adjustment... it will be setup as U12 7+5, and should be ready sometime next week... I'll be lucky if i get my money out with this one... here are couple pics I took while working on the thing... it is going to be a great little guitar after its done, but if you was looking for a guitar to play out of the case, this was not it...

Last edited by Damir Besic on 9 Mar 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 2:39 am     Re: Carter 12 string on Craigslist

Scott Nipper wrote:
Dang. He just sold it. Sad
Its ok, it wasn't meant to be especially if you want to play a traditional E9th configuration.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 12:24 pm     U-12

Yep, Damir that is it. Sorry you got took. I almost called about it, but I have a nice Carter U-12 I bought off the forum about 4-5 months ago. I really like it. It is a real challenge to me, but even the 10 strings I have are to me. I keep trying.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 12:39 pm     Re: U-12

Jim Reynolds wrote:
Yep, Damir that is it. Sorry you got took. I almost called about it, but I have a nice Carter U-12 I bought off the forum about 4-5 months ago. I really like it. It is a real challenge to me, but even the 10 strings I have are to me. I keep trying.

yes, I didn't know parts were missing until I tried to put it back together...thats ok, at least this guitar will be back in perfect shape after I get done with it... I hate when people butcher nice instruments...

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 12:58 pm     U-12

The one I have doesn't have as long a vertical lever as that one. I wish mine was a little longer, but it is in nice shape, The chrome between the pick-up and the fret board has some swirl scratches on it, but I think they will come out. I haven't tried yet. Let me know how it turns out. You always have such nice ones.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 1:05 pm    

Jim, I will post it up for sale as soon as Tyler gets done with it, and i finish cleaning it... it is going to be a wonderful guitar once its done... I already have some trade offers on it tho, but even if I trade before its done I will try to post some pictures... this is not white, but burl white mica, I am not crazy about white guitars, but this one is very pretty tho...if someone is interested in this guitar, let me know before Tyler gets done, and it may possibly be setup with your copedent...

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 3:03 pm    

Damir, was just commenting on what it would be like done. I have more then I can handle now, but I appreciate the interest. I know Mark Van Allen has two Zum U-12's and the prices aren't bad on them. I know yours will be the top of the line. You don't settle for any less. You remind me so much of Doug Ernest.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 3:08 pm    

thank you my friend, I just can't sell that guitar in conditio it was in, it will be a very nice guitar tho, even if I luse some money in the process ...

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 3:45 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslist

I got an email from Tony and the guitar is a beauty. I'd love to have it. I have to sell my Les Paul first to get the cash. If it's still there, I win, otherwise, I lose. Smile

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 3:50 pm     Carter 12 string on Craigslist

Damir - wow! That sure looks like the same guitar (how can you mistake those snowflakes!) I think I got lucky. I wouldn't have had a clue what to do and here in Sacramento I don't think anyone else would have either! I'm sorry for you. Sad

And that illustrates exactly what I fear. Guitars I know about. I can ask the right questions, see pictures and know what I'm in for (for the most part). But a PSG? No way. It sure seems like people here are a good bunch of folks, though and that gives me a lot of comfort.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 3:55 pm    

Scott, by the time I got to this thread picture was gone, but I figured there can't be too many Carter S12's for sale...yes, this turned out to be way more work then what I have planned originally...