The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Innovative Fretboard
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 5:58 am    

Fellow steel guitarists,

It occurred to me this morning that those of you who might like to experiment with the idea at hand, could simplify testing the improved version, by locating a spare fretboard. Place it along the front edge of your steel at 75 degrees, or tilt it to suit your visual preferences. Any makeshift arrangement to secure it will do. Proceed to place your bar on the strings, and you will see the advantages at first glance. The width of the fretboard will be decided later. It's not crucial, although I'll be opting for the finished product to be under 2". 1 and 5/8 " width looks right to me.

I removed my existing horizontal fretboard this morning. I will cover the raised neck with black vinvl. I'm out of there!

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 27 September 2002 at 07:26 AM.]

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:31 am    

It's not worth the effort.
When you're a first time player, place the bar right above the fret, your face straight above the bar. Take your normal playing position and watch how far the bar seems to be off-position. After 2 or 3 times you will get it. After some time (years) the ears will become more sensitive to smaller misallignements.
What I'm trying to say is: the parralax isn't really a problem.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom; Sho-Bud LLG

Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:36 am    

I prefer to play with most of the lights off, my eyes are'nt that good anyway, and it's a lot easier for me.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Carter S10/Pad

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 10:05 am    

Hi Bill,
I find this all very fascinating and feel that you should approach MSA. Their new Millennium could use this effect. Also, when it comes to mirrors, have you tried convex and concave mirors. They give a boost to the paralax and your guitar performs like it is on a higher octane. Let me know about these possibilities as I am absolutely intrigued with this invention!!

:-)

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 11:38 am    

tbhenry,

I'm unable to respond due to an apparent overload.

Bill H.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 11:39 am    

Quote:
Now really, why might it work for some, and not for others?
Because most of us do not tune to equal temperament. In our opinions, the instrument sounds better in just intonation or meantone temperament.

If you tune to equal temperament, and your guitar has no cabinet drop, then it may be appropriate to place your bar directly over the fret. Otherwise, placing the bar directly over the fret will make you sound out of tune in some positions, the A+F postion being the worst in this respect.

The assumption that playing over the fret will make you play in tune is simply wrong in most cases. The one exception is a guitar that is tuned in equal temperament with zero cabinet drop, playing along to a band that is similarly tuned (e.g. a MIDI track).

It's better to play by sound than by sight.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

[This message was edited by b0b on 27 September 2002 at 12:45 PM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 12:53 pm    

Bobby Lee,

Your information bears a lot of merit. However, I became aware of the E to F problem more than 10 years ago, and I dealt with it by developing the "GOLO". It works by nudging the 6th string, barely discernibly, up about 3 cents worth. I agree, it is the most problematic change due to the dropping off of the 6th string, which has to be on the "money", or everthing goes haywire in the 9th tuning. Plus the fact that raising it 1/2 tone requires just a short movement at the changer finger.

Bill H.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 1:46 pm    

B.H., I've finally figured this thing out. Since several Forumites posted merely to inflame others, and were hollered at, and then stopped, you've anointed yourself the Forum flamer! There's no"Innovative Fretboard," or "Lucky 24," or anything else. There ain't even a good idea! It's just you, a few beers, a smoke or two, and a thesaurus with a few pages torn out. This has all been a joke on your part, to entertain us during these dreary times. I thank you, and nominate Bill Hankey as "Funny Forumite of the Month."

David Farlow

Nevada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 2:08 pm    

I'll second the nomination, if it hasn't already been done. All in favor say AY! Time to move on.

------------------

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 2:27 pm    

I think any kind of experiment is worth evaluation. The impact this may have for the visually impaired is particularly appealing.

For my own personal taste, only a standard fretboard, keyed tuners, and a double-10 can be tolerated. For the sake of scientific advancement, I applaud Mr. Hanky's past, current, and future efforts.

(insert saluting smiley face here)

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 2:35 pm    

What!... And I suppose you'll be telling me that the easter bunny is fake

[This message was edited by Steve Stallings on 27 September 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 2:46 pm    

Quote:
I'm unable to respond due to an apparent overload.

S'what I been sayin' all along...

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 4:44 pm    

"Nothing more effective than gunsight alignment". Yes there is and it's laser sights on a gun and that is what you have here Bill. Bore your 5/8 or 1" bar and put n one of those laser pinlites down the hole and let the lite come out where the jewel is on the end and reflect on the uprite fretboard. Keep cookin Bill.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:02 pm    

Mr. Snell, how can anything you have to look at, be an aid to the visually impaired? In Hankey's joke, the set-up was that this thing was supposed to correct parallax in the middle of the fretboard. But it's a JOKE, see?
And, Mr. Pollard, I think, if you substitute "overdose" for "overload," you'll find the truth.

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 8:30 pm    

Mr. Gambrell, different levels of impairment permit limited sight; that's all I meant.

At one time, Herb Remington affixed a "feel" fretboard for a completely blind student.

Joke? What joke?

(insert gaping, slackjawed smiley face here)

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 2:22 am    

Stephen G.,

I just announced to the Mass. Bash associates on this forum, under the post, 20th Annual Steel Guitar Bash, that I will be bringing the fretless "Lucky 24" with me to the "Bash" tomorrow. My vision is no longer cast downward, but rather, my chin has been raised considerably; thanks to the design of the "Lucky 24". I'm curious to see if there are others who consider me a "joke". I haven't been this excited about my steel guitar since swapping leads with the guitarist in our band, back in the 80's.

Bill H.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 3:02 am    

tbhenry,

Thank you for the encouragement and support you've shown. Suggesting that the "Lucky 24" may very well be accepted by others, is very helpful. I tried to answer your reply yesterday, only to be foiled by an interruptive web site. That is to say, when I try to type, I get indeterminate starts and stops of the typed letters. I'll be attending the Ma."Bash" tomorrow, and still have a few details to attend to.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 30 September 2002 at 10:44 AM.]

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 6:25 am    

quote:
Johan J.,
Do you trust your ears exclusively while playing an uptempo melody, that requires many zigzag moves involving quick fret changes, and long span glisses?

Bill H.

Yes!
JJ www.steeljj.com

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2002 7:32 am    

Johan J.

Of what use is the fretboard? You have concurred that your ears will guide you while delivering those "hot licks". Wouldn't it be more believable that the player is blessed with a trained brain? Otherwise he would not have the good sense to even approach a steel guitar.

Bill H.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2002 7:52 pm    

Quote:
I think any kind of experiment is worth evaluation. The impact this may have for the visually impaired is particularly appealing.
It seems to me that it was designed for the aurally impaired.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 7:41 am    

Bobbe Lee,

I am now playing my steel without the horizontal fretboard. My focus is concentrated on the frets before me, rather than below my line of vision, and the prototype homemade fretboard rests comfortably on the front edge of my steel. That position has been adapted, and will remain as a permanent feature on my steel guitar. I agree that those experiencing impairment of the eyes or ears might welcome this approach to better enhance one's vision.

Bill H.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 1:06 pm    

Bobby Lee,
What do you tune your 4th and 8th strings too with the F ( E to F) knee lever engaged? I don't experience a bad sounding A-F chord on any of my guitars. I tune mine to 434.5, the B string A pedal engaged to 436.5. The rest are 440 and my guitar doesn't sound out of tune to me at all. When I used to tune everything straight up to 440 it sounded out of tune and probably was.
Bill, What would you say to a guy like John Hughey that plays so high on the frets the bar would block the sight of probably 3 fret lines? He's got to be using his ears at that point wouldn't you think?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 3:22 pm    

Frank P.,

It is a matter of trial and error. John's impeccable control of the bar accounts for his ability to sniff out the positions in the high registers of the steel guitar. I have a close-up of John playing Vince's "Look At Us", and I purchased the tab from him by mail order. I've scrutinized John's bar movements, and found that he uses the bar shiver in the high ranges to locate dead center pitch. John is cued into the general location, by his fretboard, an then proceeds to perfect pitch. He is among the most admired steel guitarists in my memories. I met John at Hunter Mountain in the Catskills Mountains of N.Y. while Conway Twitty was on tour there. He wouldn't remember me, but I think he would remember the band not feeling well that day.

Bill H.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 3:49 pm    

Frank, all I'm saying is that you have to "aim high" when you use the A+F position. If you place the bar directly on the fret, you will be flat of the band.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 4:40 pm    

OK, Hankey, the gloves are off! I'm smarter than you, and I've got the better idea to prove it. You know them big ol' mirrors like they've got on cooking shows? You know, the ones over the stove, tilted at a 45 degree angle, so the audience can see what's cooking? Alright, you take one of these mirrors, see, and you hang it over your head, only pointing BACKWARDS, so you can look in the mirror and see EXACTLY where you are, without modifying your guitar! And, if some of you want to use this when you play in church, it'll look like you're seeking inspiration from above! And the best thing about it, you don't have to wait for the patent!! That's right, you can start using it now. Just chalk one up for Ol' Stevie G!!