The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JERRY BYRD information.............
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 8:03 am    

There seems to be a lot of interest being expressed here on the SGF about JERRY BYRD lately. His master instructional manual, his playing in general, his picks; his bar; his tunings, etc.

I'm not here to promote ANYTHING!

However, I do believe there are more than one or two here on the SGF that are still unaware of the jerrybyrd-fanclub.com/

The JBFC gives a pretty good history on Jerry and his playing career; recording dates and locations; band members; a sizeable listing of Jerry's playing with various vocalists that you can listen to at your option...........etc.

Just wanted to guide those that don't already know about the JBFC. Hope you'll visit and enjoy.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 8:42 am    

It's always worth a visit, no matter how many times you go onto the site. Ray is continually adding new material as he gets it. Cool

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 8:53 am     THANKS Alan............

Alan I appreciate your recommendation, as always.

I've tried to create a treasure trove for the truly interested students of the steel guitar.

Yet, there are so many here that seem to be totally unaware of its existence.

So sad.

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 9:10 am    

Ray,

As a relatively new steeler (going on 2 years), I had never heard of Jerry Byrd prior to reading one of your posts. Admittedly, I had never heard of any of the other players either. Making these resources available to the community provides a service that is invaluable when calculated over time..

I would have never been exposed to this artist (or many others), and would have missed out on volumes of expression and possibility with the steel guitar had you not regularly made these posts. Exposure to the opinions and obsessions of dedicated musicians is one of the reasons I joined this forum.

I revel in knowing the stories and history of my musical idols, and often times that information just is not available.

It's obvious (to me at least) that this is a labor of love for you, and one that only provides a benefit to the steel-playing community as a whole.

Thank you for introducing me (And probably many others) to Jerry Byrd.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 12:44 pm    

agree, Ray you have done so much to turn the younger generation on to the music and life of Jerry Byrd. a great resource. its sad that although Guitar Player magazine named Jerry one of the 20 who mattered in their 20th anniv edition - so few know of him. thats probably where i first heard the name Jerry Byrd and like so many teenagers of that era (1986?) i had no idea of his greatness. it took me another 20 years to find out!

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 5:21 pm     To the both of you............

My most sincere thanks.

I try.........

David Shepack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2014 4:44 am    

Promote it Ray, I really enjoy your " Byrdland " ( ha ha ), and I am so glad that you let us know about it.
Gibson RB4 Banjo