The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Young pedal steel players in Nashville?
Andy Ellison

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 9:32 am    

Hey there,

My name is Andy. I'm a 22 year old pedal steel player living in Baltimore. This is my first post on the forum! I plan on moving to Nashville within the next two years to pursue audio engineering and also pedal steel playing.

I play other instruments (banjo, guitar) but the pedal steel is such a unique instrument and it seems like not a lot of other people in my generation have much interest in playing it.

So I wanted to get a feel from you all (especially you Nashville guys) about how many young steel players you run into down there. I'd love to be at the forefront of the next generation of Nashville steel guitarists.

Thanks!

Here's some session work I did recently for a local artist named Jeff Greenspan, in case you're interested https://soundcloud.com/atjeffgreenspan/love-wont-go

Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 11:40 am    

I don't live in Nashville, but I love it there. When I was there in July, I spent a week just seeing music. I only saw two pedal steel players the whole time. Neither of them could be considered young. They were both very good and really friendly. None of the "modern country" bands had a steel player. That music has more in common with 1980s era hair metal than country music. What is hip is non-pedal steel right now. Swing into Robert's most nights and you'll catch someone like Chris Scruggs or Chris Casello. Both are great six string players, but they're both excellent steel players. I'm sure locals will be able to be of more assistance than I was. That's just what I saw most recently.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 11:47 am     Goin' To Nashville.

Son, Nashville is a hard town, but dreams are made there every day. I have a close friend that is a top notch Bass player. He broke in to the Nashville scene, and did sessions with Sonny Garrish, Mike Douchette Bruce Watkins, and Brent Mason. But it wasn't easy, he had a CD burning business on the side, to feed his family. The sessions just weren't enough to keep him there, so he moved to Dallas and started work in video editing, and still gets sessions on the side. Brush up on your musicianship, cause they listen close over there. They'er always in the market for the next big thing. GOOD LUCK.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 12:17 pm    

I can think of 8 or 10 pro steel players here that are under 30. You won't run into a lot of them around town because of the road schedules of the artists they play for.

That said, there are always opportunities around here. I also know that several touring acts don't have regular steel players because they couldn't find one.

Don't lose your chops on the other instruments. There is a growing demand for utility players. If you don't already play dobro, it would be a good instrument to learn.

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 4:32 pm    

Andy, I was on the road for 25+ years and only worked with Major Artists. You have the desire to make in Nashville so that's in your favor. Second, play all the gigs you can so other players will get to know what you can do and at the same time, make friends with everyone you can. Have buisness cards with all your info printed and give them to everyone you meet. Let them know what you are looking for and ask them to please keep you informed of any job openings or any auditions you can be invited to. I know alot of road players who got jobs from recommendations from a friend in the band. The most important advice is...be a friend and above all...HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE! Nashville can be a cruel place. I know of Musicians that came to town with a bad attitude and they were not accepted and left town.
I'm not trying to scare you...just giving you important advice that I learned will I was there.

Andy Ellison

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 7:24 pm    

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys! I appreciate it

Jonathan, I don't have an actual dobro but I have an electric lap steel which is how I originally got into pedal steel. I've been thinking about investing in a dobro recently though.

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 7:39 pm    

Interesting to note how the youngsters just overlook the great advice that Steve Alonzo Walker just gave. Good luck to all!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 11:52 am    

Nashville has arguably the world's top 5 players currently playing regularly at the moment. Alphabetically, Paul Franklin, Doug Jernigan, Mike Johnson, Buck Reid and Tommy White. What an incredible bunch of talented players! Throw in Lloyd and Buddy who are either semi or fully retired, then this town has a real plethora of the highest class steelers.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Sean Borton

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 8:41 pm    

Andy: Go back and read that post by Steve. After reading it - go back and read it again, repeat as necessary .... Smile

Admittedly, I have never been to Nashville, but I know dozens of players that are there. The common theme is the same. You have to "fit in". Just like Steve says, "be a friend, and HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE".

My recommendation? After moving there, find a good road gig! Nothing will hone the skills like playing on the road, and word travels fast if your making a difference Smile The best of the best ALL paid their dues on the road at one time.

Andy Ellison

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 9:50 pm    

Thanks Sean, I'll definitely take Steve's advice to heart. It's phenomenal advice, indeed!...Thanks Steve

And I'd love to play on the road. In fact, if any of you guys know a band that needs a pedal steel/banjo/guitar player for the road, let me know. I have a lot to learn and I know I'd learn a lot on a tour.

Thanks again for the support!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 12:08 am    

Don't forget that Doug Jernigan and Buck Reid both teach pedal steel. They are are as good as it gets.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 5:23 am     Good luck

Andy, you probably know by now, that should you have any questions, this Forum is the place to go to ask them and not only those about pedal steel. Lots of diversity and knowledge here. Good luck from a fellow Pennsylvanian. stevet

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 7:49 am    

I scratched down some thoughts on being a Nashville steel guitar player in the Steel Guitar Insanity blog.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 9:59 am    

Cal Sharp wrote:
I scratched down some thoughts on being a Nashville steel guitar player in the Steel Guitar Insanity blog.

“Wichita played on top of me all the time”
Small world , ain’t it .

Shocked

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 10:14 am    

There's a lot of Wichitas out there, huh? Rolling Eyes
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 11:13 am    

Hey I moved here from England...so many mixed messages about people telling me not too blah blah etc. Did it worked hard and it all worked out. Im 33 also. I been offered this week alone 2 major artist jobs.....both accounts they wanted "a young steel player with a young image" thats the way it is here now. Crazy I know!

Call me when u get to town. I met and got help when I moved here.

www.georgettejones.net

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 10:25 pm     My Image Is Failing.

Oh, to be 22, and Hip again. I guess my long white beard, overalls, and bald head, are a sure sign my hipness has vanished. It was good while it lasted. All you Young'uns out there, go get'em while you can. At 67, I'm just glad I can lug around a D-10, and a split cab Twin w/JBL's.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 1:45 am    

Steve Alonzo Walker wrote:
Andy, I was on the road for 25+ years and only worked with Major Artists. You have the desire to make in Nashville so that's in your favor. Second, play all the gigs you can so other players will get to know what you can do and at the same time, make friends with everyone you can. Have buisness cards with all your info printed and give them to everyone you meet. Let them know what you are looking for and ask them to please keep you informed of any job openings or any auditions you can be invited to. I know alot of road players who got jobs from recommendations from a friend in the band. The most important advice is...be a friend and above all...HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE! Nashville can be a cruel place. I know of Musicians that came to town with a bad attitude and they were not accepted and left town.
I'm not trying to scare you...just giving you important advice that I learned will I was there.

wonderful reply..

This isn't just advice, this is experience and truth.

I have several friends working the clubs in Nville, they do fine, they are great players as well. One thing you do NOT want to do is limit your skill set. If you play guitars, sing, Bass and Steel, or more, let that be your resume.

Now on top of what Steve has so properly stated, dig into traditional Country, the songs, the signature licks etc. Take a week long visit to Nville and stop in as many clubs as you can, listen to the bands , record the sets, watch how they act and interact. It's not just about how you play it's about how you behave and look as well. It's a show , never forget that.

Be available, if you are not playing still hang out and visit the clubs and band leaders. Become part of the scene.

There is plenty of Steel guitar playing going on in town and plenty of opportunities for a player who fits in and knows the material. There is plenty of work in Nville for players who , as Steve so correctly said, have the right attitude, can play a few different Instruments, are reliable and fit in.

Go for it... but study hard too, as nice as you may be and as good a player as you may become, NVILLE clubs are about the songs, kazillions of them !

best to you..

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Rick Kreuziger

Merrillan, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 4:05 am    

Jamie Lennon wrote:
.both accounts they wanted "a young steel player with a young image" thats the way it is here now.

"Pedal steel & sex appeal!!"

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 8:12 am    

Sad but true. Doesn't matter how good you play. Wrinkled faces and receding hair lines just ain't a pretty site under those big light cans.

bb

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 8:46 am    

if you are talking about touring artists, yes, young may matter..but not on Broadway. There are plenty of older players pickin' the scene...the clubs in town are mostly non stop 4 hours of traditional tunes, they need players not slick looks. Of course if you are a player with slick looks well then it should be a good day !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 9:08 am    

Give me slick licks against slick looks any day of the week. I love listening to and watching Jimmy Capps and Gene Watson - both have 'lived-in' faces, but are at the top of the tree in their fields.

TV is a lot more discriminating than live shows against older performers. Great shame but Bobby Boggs is spot on with his assessment of older players.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 9:58 am    

Tony with all due respect. Can one make a living on lower Broadway? The only ones I know that play lower Broadway are young guys trying to be heard and make connections. Or older seasoned players that are just trying to keep their chops up? I've heard the pay stinks.

bb

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 12:56 pm    

When I worked in and out of Nashville, every job I got came from recommendations or leads from other players.. It also helps if you can play:)
1980 on tour through Canada.. Tiny Olson on the left, me in the middle.. Sorry can't remember who the steel player is on the right, guess I'm getting old… Tiny was with Gene Watson, I think the other guy was with TG Sheppard, I was with Red Sovine on this tour… Fun times!

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 3:28 pm    

Pedal steel & sex appeal....did I hear someone call my name???