17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
Derby mica
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Fessenden (mica or lacquer)
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Sho~bud Pro II to Super Pro (fancy lacquer)
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Mullen PRP or HWP
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
EMCI (or MCI RangeXpander)
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Emmons Legrande (an older rougher one)
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Desert Rose
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
MSA Studio Pro
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 69

Author Topic:  Used D10 Steels - Best value for $2500?
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 4:22 pm    

I don't get a lot of chance to play various steels, so don't have a lot of understanding of their different tonal and mechanical characteristics and how that relates to player preference.

There's a lot of awfully nice D10 guitars that seem to sit in the $2200-$2800 range...lets say we compare some options at a $2500 price point.

Vote for what you think is the very best used guitar for $2500 price in terms of sustain, tone, and mechanics/operation (and "resaleability...a surefire sale at this level).

If you could, hold off on championing the one you got (for sale?? Laughing )...please vote for the one you would replace it with! (assuming you've played one and know for sure).

If your favorite guitar is not listed, its probably because it generally would sell for lower or higher than the dollar figure I'm showing here or possibly don't come up for sale enough.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 16 Apr 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 4:48 pm    

Of your list, I'd say Mullen, Derby or Fessy lead the pack, but all of those are good choices, dunno why you specify a lacquered Carter.
Unless you're up to rebuilding, discard a clapped-out Legrande or clapped-out Zum. At 2500, I'd rather a guitar ready to play.
My 2¢

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 4:55 pm    

Based on my general observations of transactions, a lot of these guitars straddle the range depending on cosmetics and condition, so I picked finishes and condition in unique cases to levelize the poll a bit (pollers discretion!)

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 15 Apr 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 4:56 pm    

Good luck finding an MSA studio Pro (or Millennium or legend) for $2,500. $3,500 to 4,000 is a more realistic price.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 5:06 pm    

Millenium and legend are not in the poll.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 6:27 pm    

Bump

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 7:08 pm    

yeah, i don't think the studio pro would show up here. i would think that would be a step above the others. otherwise i guess the others could fit in here , but the choice would have to be made on an individual assessment of each instrument.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 7:46 pm    

They're probably worth more, but I've seen them not sell for months at price levels not far outside my high range point...so they were discounted in my poll for not being surefire sales...just my opinion, based on a sample of 1.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 10:14 am    

Taking a poll for this to me is somewhat distorted because I have seen Sho-Buds that were priced at 2500 that weren't worth it and I have seen them at that price and wondered why the seller was giving them away. The same goes with some Emmons models and a couple others.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 12:21 pm    

Craig, another way to look at the poll is to assume all the guitars are listed at fair market value at 2500, and the adjustments for condition and wear and tear fairly put into the price to come out at 2500. As an example, D10 emmons LL would. Have to be in a bit of rough shape to sell at 2500. That's about the bottom of the range for LL's, whereas Derby's and Mullen PRP's sell for 2500 all day long. Mica Carters geneally sell for less than 2500, average lacquer models seem to sit at 2500, so there is ann adjustment for base esthetics in the poll. It takes a very pretty shobud to hit 2500.

At which point, which one would you buy, based on what you were looking for in terms of tone, sustain, playability, mechanical design, general preference etc.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 12:57 pm    

Tom as much as I love the sound of an old Bud and I have had three or four and most all of them were good looking, I would lean toward a Mullen or a Fessy only because they have a modern undercarriage and are easier to work on from my viewpoint. I have to add to your poll and say also that a Williams or a Zum at the price would most likely be a deal. The one thing not mentioned is what set-up would these guitars have? Just a standard 8 and 5?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 2:21 pm    

If I were personally recommending one, I'd probably eliminate any guitar with pot metal parts, and any guitar with slotted pullers. But with that said, probably any of these would be good enough to take you as far as you want to go, provided they were optioned and set up properly, and provided you could get good replacement parts (for repairs or upgrades). Cool

In other words none of these guitars would make you a great player, and none of them would keep you from being a great player. Winking

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 4:12 pm    

check this out.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=261413

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 5:05 pm    

i'd hope to find good carters and emcis cheaper.
buds just don't interest me much anymore. though super pros with replaced brackets are pretty.
that leaves fessenden...i've heard of just a few nitpicking parts issues...still would look for lower price. so we got derbys left. i always felt they were probably pretty cool and well made with a slightly unique sound. and emmons at that price in solid players shape would be good. i know of some nice legrandes that i could have picked up for that price.

so....emmons and derby

and i'd still probably try to find either at a slightly lower price. i could figure out how to do a personal setup on any of them myself.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 8:02 pm    

To me the poll read for $2500. LeGrands are bringing $3000 plus and Carter's are bringing around $2000 plus. Therefore, I voted for the Emmons. I would vote different if money was taken out of equation, probably, Carter.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:36 pm    

Ttt