The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Legrande - Day to Emmons Setup
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 8:59 am    

Looking at a SD-10 Emmons Legrande III that has a Day setup.

The question: Is it a big deal to convert this(pedals/levers) to and Emmons setup? Do you need a mechanical engineering degree or just basic mechanical skills?

Any written or video "how to" info out there?

Thanks.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 1:33 pm    

If all the parts are there is shouldn't be a problem.
Lay it out on paper first, photograph the hell out of what you have now, evaluate each change from where it is to where you want to move it, and determine the disassembly/reassembly plan.

For an all pull axe the A and C swap should be fairly simple. The cross rods are likely all turning the same direction when the pedal is depressed. More involved may be the knee levers depending on their current copedent. Them reversing mechanisms can make things more sticky.

Actually this is how I learned just what pedal did what when I got my D10 many years ago. It was Day and I wanted Emmons. The actuation charts you create definitely help in the ensuing years when you gotta work in the thing and need to get back up to speed quickly in what's happening underneath. Don't throw them away... put them in a binder.

No ME degree needed, just patience and study.
BTW that's what it took for my ME in 1975.
YOU CAN DO IT! DO NOT BE AFRAID!

Jim Eller

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 4:42 pm    

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ray.

When I posted this(2 days ago)I thought I would get a hundred responses from people who had done this before. But, nothing until you responded. I went back and read it 3-4 times thinking maybe I had PO'd everybody.

I guess a camera, paper and a pencil would be the way to start.

It also hit me, that I have an Emmons with Emmons setup and could probably put both on the bench side by side and try to copy one to the other.

I'm not sure they are all the same underneath.

Thanks for responding.

JimE

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 8:46 am    

Jim, I think that anybody that could replace a commode tank kit (no similarity)would be able to swap an all pull guitar from Day to Emmons. Just take a picture of what holes everything is in on bell cranks and swap to levers and two pedals. Getting them back in same holes would probably be correct since it plays ok now in Day setup. One of the biggest problems with a newbie changing setups is that they will screw in the nylon tuners too far and engage the changer and that will make tuning problems. Go for it, no problem at all.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jim Eller

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 10:28 am    

"I think that anybody that could replace a commode tank kit would be able to swap an all pull guitar from Day to Emmons." I've done that so I guess it is a go.

Thanks for the good laugh Henry.

PS - Let's get some more videos up. I really like your style.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 8:50 pm    

Thanks Jim, you are good to go then

Smile

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.