The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Daily - George Straight's Steeler
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 8:53 am    

My wife, Kathy and I were actually able to snag a pair of tickets to go see George Straight perform last night in Portland, Oregon. This is his farewell tour - "The Cowboy Rides Away".

What a fabulous performance it was! I can now see why George was just named Entertainer Of The Year, as he and his crew put on a very good show. It has to be one of the best concerts I've ever seen in my entire life. The Moda Center is a very good sized indoor arena but the sound levels and balance were always just about perfect for George, his backup singers and the Ace In The Hole band. Also, the camera and lighting crews did an extraordinary job of featuring George and everyone else on stage.

Even though we were sitting in a second tier balcony, I was able to hear and watch steeler Mike Daily on the big screen just about every time he played a key fill or took a lead break. Mike, (now playing a ZumSteel D-10), played just great (as he always has) with superb tone.

The last time I was able to see George and his band perform was around 20 years ago at OSU in Corvallis, Oregon about the time he stared in the movie, "Pure Country". That was a very good show but this one far exceeded it.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 9:04 am     George Strait

I was there last night too, Lynn. First time I had the chance to see George. I have never witnessed such adulation for an entertainer. It was unbelievable! George has obviously captured the hearts of America's true country music fans. I believe the entire Moda Center was filled. I did not see many empty seats. Terry Crisp played steel for Chris Young, the opener, and Mike Daily for George. Both are outstanding steel players. I wish I could have heard Terry more, but he was buried under the guitar player. I would bet there were a lot of folks there that Lynn and I know, but the crowd was far too large to know for sure.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 9:34 am    

The only time I ever got to see George was around 1979 in Hutchison, Ks, @ Ks. State Fair. He was the lead in for Loretta Lynn. First time I had heard of him very impressed very outstanding performance.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 12:10 pm    

I had the great pleasure of seeing George a couple of years ago here in Atlanta. Leeann Womack opened the show, and had Randy Beavers on steel. Next up was Reba, with Bruce Bouton on steel. Then King George with Mike on steel. This will be extremely hard to top!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 5:59 pm    

I saw George in concert in 1999,when he did his George Strait Music Festival. I think every act featured steel. Denny Hemmingson was on steel for Tim McGraw, Jim Bob Gairrett was on steel for Kenny Chesney, I think maybe Steve Byam was on steel for Jo Dee Messina, although I couldn't see that far, but Mark Wills featured steel back then, and if memory serves me correctly, the steel player played a GFI, Cindy Cashdollar was on steel with Asleep at the Wheel, and Mike Daily was on steel with George. Mike was playing an Emmons at that show and sounded awesome! George Strait is definitely a great artist who knows how to sing a great country song. He's been one of my favorite singers for a lot of years and I remember on his Live from the Astrodome show on TV, he started introducing the band with Mike Daily on the steel guitar-Mike was playing his Zum on that show
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 3:19 am    

it seems to me that George is one of those "old school" stars, who would actually keep their band, or should I say, actually have a band... most of todays clowns change steel players ( if they even have one), like a pair of socks... I don't know what is with country music now days, but they all sound a like, on the record or live (other than the fact, that most of todays "stars" can't even sing live)...I guess, they all sound a like, because all the master cuts on the music row, are being cut by the same few guys, and once the "artist" is on the road, guys in the band are asked to just mimic and copy whatever is on the record...in the old days, you could tell Buck from Jones, Waylon from Willie, etc... just by a first few notes, now days it's all a big sterile, and boring guacamole ...

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 9:09 am    

It may go back to the fact that George was hired by the band as the lead singer, originally.
The band was already playing dates in and around San Marcos, Tx area when George returned from the Army and started college.
They certainly had no intention of firing him.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 9:12 am    

It's Mike Daly, no i in there. And yes, he is a monster.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 2:20 pm    

Ray Harrison wrote:
It may go back to the fact that George was hired by the band as the lead singer, originally.
The band was already playing dates in and around San Marcos, Tx area when George returned from the Army and started college.
They certainly had no intention of firing him.

Yea I heard when George signed on with the Ace In The Hole Band his idea of a country song was "Bad Bad LeRoy Brown" and they taught him about Bob Wills and the rest is history. Can't say that is absolutely true but I have heard it a couple times.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 3:55 pm    

First off, to a premier Emmons repair and renovation guy...hey there Lynn, haven't heard from you in awhile and hope life is good Smile Couldn't agree with you more on George Strait and Mike Daly. I've seen them half a dozen times over the years. I always thought Mike had the ideal job...sit there in the background and play great backup steel out of the spotlight for one of the greatest country singers in the business. I always credit George Strait and his band with a totally professional show. Nothing fancy with pyrotechnics, etc, the music stands for itself. No time wasted tuning and telling stories, just one song right to the next and they always give 110%. My only complaint as I get older....all of those screaming girls in the audience that sometimes make it tough to hear the music haha!

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 4:14 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:

Hold the horses, Mike Daly is another steeler. Mike Daily is in the AITH band. Both great!

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 4:33 pm    

I'm so confused...
http://www.georgestrait.com/news_Detail.asp?pkArticle=45

daly, daily, whatever....

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 5:44 pm    

Saw the great George Strait here in Jersey 4 or 5 weeks ago, 2 plus hours of awesome entertainment. He's the best. Great thing was that the sound wasn't overpowering but real clear. I could actually talk to my wife at the same time and could here both clearly.

The show was the largest sell for the Prudential Center in Newark, Nj , 17,500 plus in attendance. The review in the Star Ledger newspaper said that either a lot of people came from far away to see the show or that country music in New Jersey is more popular than people think. I know that the latter is more likely correct.

I think George doesn't get enough mention here on the forum, a great thread, enjoy reading the posts.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 5:55 pm    

Clete Ritta wrote:
Mike Neer wrote:

Hold the horses, Mike Daly is another steeler. Mike Daily is in the AITH band. Both great!

Are you serious? Embarassed

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 6:25 pm    

Mike Daly is with Hank Jr and Travis Tritt-Mike Daily plays for George Strait
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 7:36 pm     Lll

Welcome to the word of autocorrect, the site that mike neer refers to is that mike daly plays for George, I'm also confused, I think everyone needs to get back to the basics of spelling and Details, and I'm not singling out anyone, I see it with my kids and people in general . Whoever he is, mike d. Is a total monster and he's kicking it every night!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 8:39 pm    

Craig Stock wrote:
...the site that mike neer refers to is that mike daly plays for George...

According to the Details, it was Jeff that referred to the site. Wink
Jeff Garden wrote:
I'm so confused… http://www.georgestrait.com/news_Detail.asp?pkArticle=45 daly, daily, whatever....

This link to the News section of George Strait's website is taken from an article that was written for an Albany NY newspaper, the Albany Times Union, where his name is misspelled Daly. However, if you look on the same site under Road Staff, you'll see it correctly spelled Daily.

Its been a source of confusion here before, but leave it to Brett Day to settle the who's who. Smile

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 6:02 am    

I remember seeing the Ace in the Hole band BEFORE they hired George,,,,and then seeing them just after they hired him at Gruene Hall and Crystal Chandelier here in New Braunfels,,,,,(I live 2-3 miles from both of them,,,had the pleasure of seeing several of the "greats" get their start there),,,the old Crystal Chandelier is now Rudy's Barbeque (Rudy's still has billing posters up for them,,,,$3.00 ticket!!!!!),,,and pictures posted in Gruene hall,,,,saw them there FREE on Sunday afternoon,,,needless to say,,,that didn't last long. Not sure,,,but I think the Mike D. that plays for AITH band is the the grandson,,,or nephew,,,or ??? of Pappy Daily,,,,manager or promoter of the late George Jones. Comes from a music "bidness" environment.

Last edited by Sonny Jenkins on 14 Apr 2014 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 6:49 am    

Apologies to Mike Daly and Mike Daily.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:13 am    

Mike Neer wrote:

so it is mike daily with george.

do these adamant corrections to the wrong answer ever embarrass the person posting?

Dennis Lee

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:21 am     Modern "Country" Music?

I agree with Damir. Today's singers sound all alike. They are missing an identity, not to mention real talent. Yes, a couple of them play a mean guitar, but maybe that is where it should have ended. George has style, grace, his own sound, and his choice of material is outstanding. That is what has made him the icon he is today. Whether the band steered him in the direction he took, or whether he discoverd this on his own, it was the best choice. I will not waste a dime to buy, let alone listen, to any of today's "so-called" singers. Boring! As to large arenas for music venues, they leave a lot to be desired. In truth, the music mix drowned-out George too much of the time, and Chris Young's guitar player drowned out the rest of the band. I never really got to hear too much of Terry Crisp in the first part of the show due to a poor mix. In short, today's country music is too damn loud, too much rock, not enough soul, and no real distinct sound.

Dennis Lee

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:22 am     Modern "Country" Music?

I agree with Damir. Today's singers sound all alike. They are missing an identity, not to mention real talent. Yes, a couple of them play a mean guitar, but maybe that is where it should have ended. George has style, grace, his own sound, and his choice of material is outstanding. That is what has made him the icon he is today. Whether the band steered him in the direction he took, or whether he discoverd this on his own, it was the best choice. I will not waste a dime to buy, let alone listen, to any of today's "so-called" singers. Boring! As too large arenas for music venues, they leave a lot to be desired. In truth, the music mix drowned-out George too much of the time, and Chris Young's guitar player drowned out the rest of the band. I never really got to hear too much of Terry Crisp in the first part of the show due to a poor mix. In short, today's country music is too damn loud, too much rock, not enough soul, and no real distinct sound.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:27 am    

It might be said that both Mike Dalys Daily are monster pickers.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:32 am    

Just now checked,,,,Mike Daily, steel player for George Straight, IS Pappy Daily's grandson, and name is spelled DAILY,,,

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdaaf

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:34 am    

Glad we got that "straitened" that out!