The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Guitar Almost Done.
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 3:44 pm    

Almost done. 18 pull rods to thread and install tomorrow and that pretty much does it. 26 ball bearings and it is unbelievabley smooth. Martin.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 4:03 pm    

Wow .... I can't wait to see the rest of the guitar, Martin!

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 4:04 pm    

Wow! Most impressive. Please continue providing pictures, and then id like to hear it as well....

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 4:29 pm    

That is some impressive looking work. And I'm a retired tool&die maker/machinist with 40 years experience. I'll bet that will be a very good playing steel when finished. Keep us updated.
Regards, Norm

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 4:46 pm    

Thanks for the compliments guys. Norman, I wish I had your experience with a mill. Three years ago I couldn't even spell Machinist. I learned from a book and by watching You Tube on the web. My DRO has the ability to figure bolt hole circles and all that stuff which is far beyond me. I do know how to get from point "A" to point "B".

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 5:37 pm    

If you think it looks good in these pictures, you need to see it in person.
His work is unbelievable and as close to perfect as humanly possible. One peace at a time.

The Hammer
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 7:47 pm    

Martin you done it again. Top notch as always. Your work is a sight to behold!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 3:50 am     Beautiful...

Piece of art! Now that's what a half stop ought to look like. Functionally brilliant...

Martin, we would sure like to see more pictures when you have the time.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 3:56 am    

Maybe I'm no better than one of Pavlov's dogs, but as soon as I saw a post by Martin labelled "New Guitar", I started salivating! And, indeed, the eye-candy is pretty spectacular, even if we only are seeing the nuts and bolts. Can't wait to see the rest!

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 8:32 am    

In general it looks great, but there are some details that personally annoy me. Like some screws have sunken heads, but most have not, why not 1 style? All the screws that adjust the the pedal and knee lever travel are brass, except 1 which is steel and has a different shape. Also, for such a nice undercarriage, why such a spring to the knee lever in this way? There must be a solution that is in line with the quality work of the rest of the undercarriage.

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but everything else I see is extremely beautiful.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 8:49 am    

I'm dying to see one of Marco's builds Wink

Marco Schouten

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 9:11 am    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
I'm dying to see one of Marco's builds Wink

Laughing

Hope I didn't sound to critical, it looks better than most and I see that a lot of thought has gone into this, so much that I got excited. With just a few minor changes it would be perfect.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 9:43 am    

marco..
considering martins other builds and this one, they are some of the finest i've enjoyed looking at. i almost find your nitpicking offensive. however, of all people, i certainly defend your right to mention it.

i'd like a better pic of your pretty green jch.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 11:11 am    

if you would look at where the screws are then you would easily see that you are way off base. the counter sunk screws are on the outside thus not being prone to catching anything and providing a smooth surface.

the other screws are under the unit and are for locking down something. more strength is needed there and to counter sink the metal might make the area weaker, especially if the metal is thinner there.

not matching up all the screw types....very anal.

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 12:35 pm    

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am not at all offended by Marco's observations, he is exactly right. Actually, Some of the screws you see are temporary. I am just setting everything to get everything in the right place. All the screws will be countersunk. The different adjustment screws for the knee levers are temporary also. The stainless screws that adjust the knee lever stops are two different kinds because two of them were too short. I have ordered longer screws for two levers that will be here Monday. I do have a lightweight spring on my vertical knee that holds the lever straight up and down. I cant stand a vertical lever that flops or moves when its not being used. It bugs me, but that's just a personal thing. Martin.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 2:37 pm    

Bill, I don't think he was off-base: he asked why it was like that. You gave a good solid answer.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 9:39 pm     psg

Best undercarriage I've seen in a long time. Maybe some changer pics, if possible. This a mica or wood body? Very carefully planned job. Excellent!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 2:24 am    

All of Martin's guitars are wood body - and expertly inlaid and finished. I live close by so I get to ogle his guitars.

I was talking to Mike last night about the 4th floor pedal and what to put on it. I think he is going with the Franklin Pedal.

Marco Schouten

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 6:25 am    

I want to say once more,that it is one of the best looking and best thought out undercarriages I have ever seen. Martin can be proud of it.

Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 2:42 am     new guitar almost done

Martin, great piece of work: probably the neatest I've ever seen. Equal, if not better than williams 700 series. Im also building a new extra wide s10. I like your lever brackets, hope you don't mind if I copy your design on them. awesome work.

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 4:28 am    

That is about the sweetest work I've ever seen. I love the bracket that carries the pedal stops and return springs, and the detail work near the changer. But I have one question - like Marco, I'm always thinking of ways to try to make things better. I see pull springs to return the cross-shafts to their rest position. I see this on every steel I've ever looked at. Is there a special reason why nobody seems to use "torsion" type springs co-axial with the cross-shaft? That's probably not very well expressed, but let's give this a try anyway.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 6:28 am    

Will C. Will, the torsion springs were used by Sho Bud in their guitars, but they had a small round 5/16 shaft. The wire diameter was about .060. A torsion spring with about a 3/8 inside diameter would work just fine. Now with 3/8 square shafts (measures over 1/2 inch across the corners) you have to use a spring with about a 5/8 inside clearance. (The I.D. contracts when the springs are compressed). That puts the O.D. of the spring circle up around 3/4 inches. (big enough to power a medium sized bear trap). Too big. Too ugly. And in the way of everything else.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 2:40 pm    

I have #007 my blue Weenick that Martin built for me in 2010. I played it last night at a jam and the tone was super sweet. He built it to some of my special ideas I wanted in the steel. It is a 1 of a kind.
He is a master builder and goes beyond what other builders do for their production steel.
He builds them for the love of steels.
I know for a fact he is not doing it for the money.
This is my steel.

Pictures of the top & undercarriage can bee seen on this Forum post. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=184008&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Last edited by Don Sulesky on 17 Apr 2014 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 4:09 pm    

very nice ! Impressive...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 5:46 pm    

Martin, Veeery nice!! Smile The enjoyment you have had through your project must be immense!

Will and Marcus, good observations. The eye for detail and the "why/how does this work is exactly what we thrive on.

Martin has his reasons, of how to make his dreams work. And they work because Martin has a great eye for this kind of detail. "Thinking" like this is where the next generations of pedal steel performance is born, creating the the next "raise the bar", so to speak.