The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using the volume pedal to calm momentary spikes
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 6:41 am    

I'm still having some trouble with this. It's hard to practice since the sound coming directly off the strings makes it difficult for me to judge the dynamics of the volume coming out of the amp. It's making me think that in order to really get good at this, I'll have to practice with headphones or with high volume so that the sound coming off the strings doesn't interfere.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 7:59 am    

Well, that's part of the problem, Curt. Playing that softly, you can't distinguish between the amplified note and the acoustic note.

Seems to me you would benefit from using headphones for some of your practice time. But, there's no substitute for playing loud enough to drown out the acoustic sound of the guitar. How else can you develop your vol. pedal technique, or your picking tone?

Using the VP has to become second nature...your foot learns where it should be before you even strike the strings. There's no formula, or shortcut. You have to practice and practice until your mind develops the control over your foot position. But you have to play loud enough to be able to judge the pedal's correct position.

Just like pick blocking, or string grips, you just have to work at it, over and over again. It will come together, and suddenly you'll think "That's not all that hard", and you won't be "thinking" about the pedal...but, rather, about what you're playing.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 8:08 am    

Thanks Mike. My ear is already developing so that I have a sense of when the pedal should be applied and how much, but my execution is what sucks. It sounds clumsy.

I'd swear my volume pedal is more sensitive than most too. It's a Hilton and I've configured it so that it has the full range of volume from the totally-up position to the totally-down position, which should be the least sensitive setting. Still, when I record myself, most pedal movements I make sound exaggerated. The only thing I'm decent at is sustain and increasing volume for overtones.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 8:12 am    

yes..must play louder. i don't think i've ever heard my strings at all compared to the amp.
this is an electric instrument that must be played as a unit...the only sound you hear should be coming from the speaker of the amp.
you can't play with other people otherwise.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 8:21 am    

Curt said:
Quote:
but my execution is what sucks. It sounds clumsy.

These are the 9 most important words I have read in this thread. You acknowledge that you have a picking technique problem. That means you have to practice more on your right hand. I don't know how long you have been playing, but it takes time. Nothing anyone can say here is going to solve your problem. A one on one with a teacher would help you more than all the forum members getting on here and writing what they think will solve your problems. Using a compressor, and even the volume pedal is not the answer to your right hand issues.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 8:31 am    

You're almost there, Curt. Your ear is developing the sensitivity to recognize when things aren't right. Just be patient with yourself and keep working at it. The movements of the pedal are indeed small, in fact sometimes barely noticeable. There's a finesse involved with VP use, and it just takes time to develop. It's normal to feel clumsy at it in the beginning. Don't overthink it, just play and practice using the pedal correctly as best you can. It WILL come together.

As many have said, it will come to you as long as you keep working at it. I refer to your situation as hitting a wall. Nothing seems to be improving no matter how hard you practice....that means you are approaching the point of breakthrough. Keep pushing yourself and you WILL breakthrough. You aren't really learning anything new if it comes easy.

The reward is mastering the task, the journey's length depends on how bad you want it.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 9:10 am    

Here's a video to show you what I'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/sw9ZRRec9yU

I learned it from a Mickey Adams YouTube video this weekend and then made a recording to post on Facebook for my friends and family. I did a small handful of takes and this is one that I rejected because I didn't like my volume pedal usage, among other problems.

It's recorded with a "Blue Snowball" microphone placed against my Nashville 112 amp. Feel free to criticize. I'm not very sensitive.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 10:51 am    

Actually, it is wonderful that you think you sound awful - I found that I heard more and more of what needed work as I learned....and that was the step just before being able to make it better...

When you first start, you mostly don't even hear picking/blocking issues....volume pedal is somewhat more obvious, and like others say, one day you will realize that it is just working...

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 10:57 am    

Bingo, Steve. The better I get, the more I notice that I have some issues.
Curt, the volume pedal is for dynamics. Taming spikes is the job of the right hand (of course creating spikes by gutting is the job of the right foot, but that's not the same).

Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2014 4:25 pm    

Hey Curt, First of all , you are not a slave to that instrument ....it is your slave and you tell what to do and how to do it. In my case and what works for me is , I think of a song and get the lyrics in my head and then I sit down to my instrument and make it sing those lyrics to me as I would sing it myself. If I wanted a soft word , that is how I would pick that note, if I wanted sadness or gladness , that is how I would pick that note also. Every word is not the same volume and have the same emotion, this is done by your right hand and not your foot. No, I'm not an expert or a professional player by any means .....I watched videos of all the " BIGGIES " and drew this conclusion and have gained by it. Play it like you feel it and then play it like you want it to feel. Happy Steelin'

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2014 11:49 am    

"BB King doesn't use a volume pedal"

But,,,, he's almost neurotic with his incessant knob twiddling! Love his music! But watching him non-stop fooling' with his volume and tone knobs makes me nervous!

On steel, I pick quite firmly all the time.

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2014 4:07 pm    

I don't even use a volume pedal. Don't use on guitar just pick how you want it to sound.

Any other heretics out there?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 13 May 2014 6:45 pm    

No volume pedal is actually a recommended practise until picking control is nailed down...