The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newman's Scales
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 8:54 am    

Jeff Newman's seminar in St. Louis focused on scales. A discipline that is usually too boring for words.

He provided an explanation and some rhythm tracks to play scales with. His tracks that he provided are in the key of D and key of E but he promises to provide a disc with all the keys.

I hope he comes out with some "scale workship" in discs and booklet, because the stuff he gave us makes scales fun. For the first time I can sit down and make music with scales. Since the seminar I have used his track and workbook and played scales for hours.

This stuff is a blast and it is brilliant. I want to be the first in line to order anything that he puts out that has to do with scales.

To me, his seminar and the material he provided is breakthrough quality and it is really great!

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 9:08 am    

Quote:
For the first time I can sit down and make music with scales
Scales are the "building blocks" of music. (As an analogy, I do welding and machine work, which is a lot more enjoyable if you like working with metal.) By practising them, you not only learn where the notes are, what they sound like and how they relate to each other, you are also building technique and you get to enjoy what your guitar sounds like.

Chas Friedman

Wimberley, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 12:28 pm    

On the subject of scales, I am confused by something in Jeff Newman's Up From The Top - F lever Course. I emailed him recently but haven't received a response yet. Maybe someone on the Forum knows. Here's the question:
On page 49 (3rd column) of the Up From the Top - F lever course, it says:
"The scale of C on strings 5&8 is:
1D...1A....3AB....4AF.....6AF...
..8AB......10AB....11AF..
13A...15AB."

What is confusing me is the fact that the B pedal doesn't affect strings 5 or 8 at all (it affects strings 3 and 6), so I don't understand why the B pedal appears in the above. I thought this must be a typo and tried to figure out what it should be, but I never could.
(Generally, I like the material in the course.)
chas f

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 12:43 pm    

It's just printed that way to keep you outta trouble~ ie- if you happen to be playing the scale on other strings or happen to hit the wrong string it won't sound bad. That's all- true - not necessary but won't hurt~~

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 12:44 pm    

Chas, you are correct. I think Jeff is just showing the B pedal so it will hook up in your mind with the "A&B" pedal positions. In other words, 3AB is a C major position, but when you're playing just strings 5 & 8 (or 4 & 5), you would not be benefitting from the B pedal's action. Still, you might even push both A&B pedals down at that point in the scale; won't hurt anything (and it may help in case you accidentally hit the wrong string).

Hope that helps.
Jimbeaux

Chas Friedman

Wimberley, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 2:09 pm    

Thanks, Jim and Jim. That makes sense and is now pretty clear!
chas

Budd Kelley

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 3:28 pm    

When JN includes his "tuneitup" information, he has yau tune the A and B pedal rises with both pedals depressed. Cabinet dropwith 2 pedals engaged has to be more than 1. Just using the A pedal may give you a note that is a little sharp.

That's my guess and I'm sticking to it!

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 3:59 pm    

I'd like to get a course on scales for the C6 in tab. Diminished, Augmented etc. Who's got a really good course on these?

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2002 12:22 pm    

I just want to say that I took the seminar from Jeff in Dallas this year and recieved the scales material and it has been surprising how much this particular method of teaching has taught me. Thanks Jeff ! Your a Genius! I concur. I would love to see some of the same type of teaching with C6th.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2002 12:38 pm    

Quote:
"I'd like to get a course on scales for the C6 in tab. Diminished, Augmented etc. Who's got a really good course on these?"

Doug Jernigan.

I'm working thru his "C6 Beginner" course.

It has many versions of Major, Melodic Minor, Blues, and Diminished Scales.

Also has chord exersizes and licks.

Maybe his more advanced books are what you need. As a new C6er I find this course to be plenty advanced for me.

BTW, I was also at that Jeff seminar and totally enjoyed it. I've attended many of his seminars, and have never been disappointed.

Russ Rickmann

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 5:20 am    

Dave, practicing scales and applying them to music dosen't have to be challenging or boring. As Chas mentioned, scales are the 'building blocks'. If you can locate the last issues of Steel Guitar World, I had a series of articles dealing with scales entitled,'Playing With Blocks'. These articles will take you from single note scales, in various positions, to scales harmonized in thirds, and then applying them to a well known song. If you're unable to locate, drop me an e-mail with your address and I'll get a copy out to you. The bottom line is, build a strong foundation with your knowledge of scales and you'll never be at a loss for ideas. Russ

clive swindell

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 2:47 am    

Chas

The reason Jeff hasnt replied to your e-mail is probably because he is teaching at Gerry Hogans place here in the UK until the end of this week.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 8:21 am    

Some months ago I saw in a bookstore a fairly large book called "Scales Over Chords" (I think?). It was a guitar book but I remember thinking this would probably be of great benefit for PSG also. I mean, a scale is a scale is a scale,,,,,. Has anyone seen the book I'm talking about?

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2002 4:31 am    

Full name of the book is
"Scales over Chords : How to Improvise and Never Play Bad Notes" by Savidge and Vradenburg.

It's entry-level. Explains basic music theory, scales and how to use them.
Emphasis on Pentatonics, Major and Minor.

I recommend it, unless your looking for complex Jazz material.

It written for standard 6 string, and comes with a CD.

this ends my 50 page book report, Thank you.