California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 10:14 pm    

damn gravity.
there oughta be a law.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 6:57 am    

Nick,

Gravity for the most part fits in the category of things labeled "out of sight out of mind." A common oversight happens when we step off a curbing, and the sudden unexpected drop pitches whomever face first to the pavement. My first and earliest experiences with gravity occurred by watching "flying squirrels" coasting through the air from tree to tree. They would lose altitude and land at the base of a neighboring tree before scampering upward into higher branches. Lugging musical equipment over rough terrain has become one of the major hang-ups as a performing steel guitarist. Nature has proven many times that problems are solvable. Defying gravity by bolder approaches
to the problems may find their solutions much more
enticing to aging players.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 2:12 pm    

Is there a special magnetism associated with the steel guitar and musicians? There is a great similarity between the push and pull of magnetism when compared to the reaction witnessed among those who examine the workings of the steel guitar. The majority of those who become interested in the instrument seem to get "hooked" on its complexities. The remainder of those who fall under the influences of push poles of magnetism simply shake their heads and make off to less complicated merchandise. This proves beyond a doubt that talents are constantly drawn in different directions. Finding a pursuit that matches a distinct magnetic pull rather than struggling at a study where the outcome is less than favorable ranks up there where poor choices dwell
among the working class.

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 5:55 am    

I found a foolproof device to tame gravity for steel players- an equipment man! (Seem to be readily available for a few beers and a ride to the club!)

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 10:13 am    

Bob Simons,

Over the years I've tried to resolve issues. It didn't take long stretches of times to realize that if you want something done right, find a way to solve problems by creating a system that allows for eliminating a dependency on others. Booze and reliability do not go hand in hand. Find a "nonboozer" if you need assistance. Gigging with heavy equipment is nonsense. I've never been able to turn up the volume on my amp to full power.

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 12:02 pm    

Gigging with heavy equipment seems unavoidable. I take a U-12, a Webb with wheels, and a seat, sometimes a shoulder bag rack. This minimum gear amounts to HEAVY EQUIPMENT...at least for me at present. I had the misfortune of having my heart reconstructed from spare parts this year, and believe me, my over the shoulder bag lap steel and a battery powered amp with a 6 inch speaker is about all I can handle. Went from several gigs a week, to nothing (one last New Year's Eve.) If I can get help for a beer or two I'll put up with the slurred pronunciations and sloppy good cheer.

But my how gravity has increased as the year's pass!

Glad to see that you are well and feisty Bill.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 1:01 pm    

Bob Simons,

I have a relative who traveled to Pennsylvania to have surgery on her heart. From what I gather, their hospitals in Philadelphia are some of the best. I hope for your bookings to increase in the days ahead. At the present, I'm making my way and looking forward to a warming trend after a not too friendly winter. Thanks for keeping in touch, and best wishes for an upswing in good health.

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 6:42 pm    

Thanks Bill. Actually I had great care in Kansas City. I was amazed. 24 hours after a quintuple bypass I walked two laps around the ICU. Thanks for modern medical science, (and even more so for Medicare!!! Who says the government can't run a health care program? I had best of care, best of doctors and no charge!

To return to music, I've seriously struggled with a way to further simplify and reduce the bulk of transport, set up and so forth. But I want that SOUND! THere should be an answer. Maybe the new Telonics combo amp. You can't make a lighter guitar than my MSA M3.

I can't believe there is such a thing as "too old." Kansas City is still regularly entertained by veterans of the Moten Swing Band and other great ensembles of the swing era. Some of them well into their 90's.

Honestly I think the only answer for us is to play steel in our bedrooms and switch to the harmonica in public.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 4:22 am    

Bob Simons,

The "cards" have been shuffled years ago for both of us. When they were dealt we soon learned that some cards are of little value. While certain cards have much higher values, it isn't easy to perceive which is which when the time comes to play them. It is true that some seem to know how to make the best of whatever they are holding. By creating a system that recognizes right or wrong, it may be possible to deal with whatever life has to offer.