The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gravity And Passing Years Assist Steelies In Making Plans
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 7:24 am    

Visions of playing the pedal steel guitar throughout a lifetime are quite vivid during the years between say 40 and 80 years of age. Many find the gravitational pull too great after that point in time. I'm finding that the efforts of moving equipment in and out of job locations becomes less rewarding with the passing of time. Becoming aware of special skills waning away is not a happy moment to say the least.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 7:40 am    

Never give up! Remember, if you pick a baby calf up every day after it's born, you'll always be able to lift it.

Something Grandpa told me.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 7:46 am    

Until the calf turns to a cow.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 9:07 am    

I've used a Rock N Roller R6 like this: http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Roller-Multi-Carts-Equipment-Transporter/dp/B001RQ5ZJ2 for over 10 years.

I lay my D-12 steel case on the bottom, stack two four space racks and my Stereo Steel speakers on top and my seat on top of that. In and out in one trip unless there are a lot of stairs involved. The case stays on the cart which makes it easier to setup and teardown without having to reach down on the floor.

It's built like a tank and has paid for itself over and over. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I needed to, although I doubt that I can wear it out.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 10:35 am    

Hi Jim,

Many of the players from the northeastern states have caught on to the reasons for using wheels since your days working with DEKLEY. Those were good times in Central Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. I attended the North Providence Show featuring Buddy Emmons, and many of the local players. You performed that day at that show. I remember Buddy running into a transportation snag that day. He was a bit late getting set up for his performance.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 11:02 am    

Bill, I was at that Buddy Emmons show in 1981 at Luca Music in RI. Buddy was running late due to bad weather, and some local players were filling in until Buddy arrived. Scotty was the MC. I was asked to play a few songs, so I played Scotty's Dekley (or maybe it was Jim's Dekley). I was unprepared and didn't know the backup band, but somehow I managed to get through it. Thanks for the memory!

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 12:15 pm    

Doug,

There was a period of about 10-15 years when Harry Guffee was located in the northeast area that the pedal steel guitar enthusiasts were swarming to get on the band wagon. The situation has changed somewhat as the tempos, lyrics, and motivations have merged into an assortment of unrelated goals where most lyrics contain senseless repetitious makeshift lingo. Some of the pedal steel guitar shows have commenced to fizzle in the past few years. As Leigh Howell would say, "Who knows?" Perhaps a new surge of enthusiasm will once again fill the dance halls in New England.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 5:58 pm     Visions in the Night.

Bro Bill, I've got a little over 12yrs. to go before I'm 80. And I have no skills to wane, so I'm not to worried about it. I still haul stuff around in flight cases, and will continue to do so. Cancer surgery, hernias, car wrecks, and a whole bunch of bumps in the road, haven't stopped me yet. So my vision is to keep pickin' till the end, little or no money, long drives to gigs, it's something I look forward to every weekend..........There is an abundance of places to play in these parts, and our band is booked 2mons. in advance.....I never figured New England to be into much country, or any steel playin' to speak of. I think the only guy I've ever heard of from up there, is Johnny Hiland, who is a monster guitar player.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 7:21 pm    

Quote:
So my vision is to keep pickin' till the end, little or no money, long drives to gigs, it's something I look forward to every weekend..........

Bill, that sounds just like the beginning. Laughing Oh Well

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 7:58 pm     The Beginning.

Well, they do call it the circle of life. You'da thunk somewhere in the trip around it, that "I Could'a Been a Contenda". But it was still a fun ride, and I wouldn't trade fame and fortune for what I have now. GOOD WIFE, GOOD DAUGHTER, EMMONS LeGRANDE II.......Did I Miss Anything?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 4:06 am    

Bill W.,

Your comments remind me of something that was said to me by one of New England's late super pickers about twenty years ago. I was in his music store, up from Pittsfield, MA where I live in a place called Adams, MA. His name was Fran Dupee, and he was best of friends with super picker BUZZ EVANS on steel and guitar, who originally hails from New England. He politely asked me if I had heard BUZZ play recently. I said no, but the inquiry lingered long enough to have Fran unload on me by commenting, "You've got a new experience ahead of you!" I found out later just what Fran was trying to convey to me. To say that there is a lack of super pickers in New England just isn't so. Even so, thanks for scoping in on some of
Country Music's best performers. Good luck in future plans as a steel guitarist.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 7:37 am     Buzz Evans.

Bro. Bill, funny you would mention Buzz Evans. I bought a Edwards Light Beam vol. pedal from Micky Adams, at the Dallas Steel Show, 2yrs. ago, that he had acquired from, BUZZ EVANS. I only use it as a 3rd back up, but it works fine. The Emmons fixed pin pedals are what I prefer. I really should have known there are pedal steel players everywhere, I mean, South Africa, Sweden, England, New England...
Being born in the back woods of Kentucky, raised in Dallas, I never would've known any of this information without this forum. A SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE who posts on here. Just proves, you're never to old to learn, cause there's always something out there you don't know.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 9:36 am    

Bill I'm going to be up there the 7th of may to the 17th I'd sure like to pop in on anyone I know that's playing. I'll give you a call, Smiley won't be with me at this time as I'm flying in for my grandsons graduation from UMASS..But I got him talked into a August September drive up. Of course I won't let him drive one mile, No one foot Laughing I have a portable Oxygen unit that lets me do a lot.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 2:40 pm    

Joe,

There once was a time when country music bands were booked into any establishment that featured a jukebox, bar, and dance floor. I believe that 1970 was exceptional for finding club owners who habitually rotated different bands throughout the year. About that time, prices for necessary commodities started to climb, and the value of a dollar decreased steadily, which made it difficult to play for starvation wages. Booze in excess became a real problem, while the new laws systematically collected huge cash penalties, by implementing hundreds of dollars in fines for violations. The crumbling laughter at the bar scenes lessened to nil in places where bands were the main attraction by featuring "live" music. Joe, There is a country band booked at The Itam Lodge on April 13th. Your scheduled visit clearly shows that you would be in Florida on that date.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 8 Apr 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 2:53 pm    

Joe Casey wrote:
Bill I'm going to be up there the 7th of may to the 17th ...I'm flying in for my grandsons graduation from UMASS..

Joe, let me know if you find some music goin' on. Turns out I'll be in Amherst too during that period (May 12-13), helping my son look for a place to live before he starts his new job there (Sax prof. in the music dept). Maybe we can grab a coffee, beer, or at least share some O2!

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2014 9:18 am    

Sounds like a plan Jim. I am staying in Springfield most of that time and will have a rental. Your son will love that campus.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2014 12:57 pm    

Jim and Joe,

Many years ago Washington Irving told the story about RIP van WINKLE. What a fascinating tale about a poor settler who located with his wife and two children up in the CATSKILL MOUNTAINS. For some reason, both of your exchanges reminded me of RIP when he would show up in town for a beer or two with the town's elders beneath a huge spreading shade tree. I can relate to their peaceful moments by visualizing the creaky benches, beer mugs, under the shady branches, reliving their past experiences. Thanks for the input on future travels.

Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 3:59 am    

Like I posted in your OTHER thread, gravity is not your friend as you age. For some, just staying upright is a challenge. I still carry equipment in and out, but I dont unnerstand why stuff gets heavier as the night goes on. Maybe it is the buildup of electrons in the bottom of the cabinet. After they run thru the amp, they have nowhere to go so they pile up in the bottom, unseen, until they can dissipate at a later date. That's IT. I also find that for many venues, I take the small amp......

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 5:15 am    

Alan,

Perhaps changes in body chemistries are the real culprits involved after a busy evening playing in a country music band. I've found that a glass of your favorite beverage will awaken muscles that require new energies after four hours at the pedal steel guitar. There is a connection existing when energy resources become depleted in part. Leverages become man's best friend when gravity needs to be dealt with accordingly.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 7:24 am    

All the who's who shuffling of musical talents will matter the least as gravity commences to become an issue by limiting poundage lifted and transported to performance locations. All the hyping about a relatively few notables haven't stood up to the test of time. Nothing known to man will tear down the walls of notability as does the passing of time. Many great minds of the past have been shuffled by the forces of time. Historians help by bringing back the memories of notables, lest they become forgotten.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 5:02 am    

I could name a thousand things where gravity "plays" a part in the lives of earthlings; as such. Loggers, sporting events, wars, skydiving, make up a small percentage of gravity's influences. Speed picking on the pedal steel guitar involves raising the picking hand against the force of gravity. If you tried to speed pick on the moon, who knows what to expect?

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 1:28 pm     Buicks To The Moon.

On the Moon, you can expect to be scared out of your wits. Having played there on some Bad LSD trips, I can personally testify, I'm glad those days will never happen again. It's much better on the good ol' Earth, and in your right mind. And if you record your performance, on the Moon, it sounds terrible the next day. JUST AN OBSERVATION, from personal experience.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 1:54 pm    

Bill, the first thing I decided after I hit 65 was that I could get by with a single 10 just fine 90% of the time. I also downsized my amp and simply mic my little Evans into the PA in any venue bigger than a living room.

As for sensing fading skills, I can relate to that as well. But on some levels I feel like I'm playing as well as ever as long as I stay focused on what I can still do pretty well and let go of what I can't - like speed picking.

One place where I used to basically live, but have since developed a zero tolerance level for is noisy bar gigs with rough-around-the-edges bands and arrangements. Every time I revisit that scene by accepting an invitation to come down and sit in somewhere thinking it might be fun, it isn't.

Harry Callahan may have said it best in Dirty Harry when he said: "A man has got to know his limitations."

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 2:16 pm    

Bill W.,

Should anyone including steel guitarists contemplate musical performances in the outreaches of space it could open up a beginning of an entirely new system of music appreciation. I dare say that earthlings haven't a clue of what may surface. Such differences as sound transmission, and the lack of receptiveness may trigger unforeseen problems. Still, a lingering curiosity prevails knowing that civilized man has been ill-advised on matters pertaining to outer space.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 3:38 pm    

Drew,

Thanks for your comments pertaining to jumping in unrehearsed with just an invitation by unfamiliar band members. I know from past experiences that things can go wrong during the course of a four hour gig. Your method of traveling lighter will most likely be the way to go sometime in the future. Separating the head from the speaker cabinet will trim down total weights for those who have become a bit wary of excessive straining the muscles that will be needed in future years.