The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marty Stuart Show
Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 4:57 am    

Floyd you are correct, I see the show on Dish Network and can barely hear the steel, Gary is to good to be treaded this way, the vulume shoud be the same for all lead instruments, my thought

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 11:34 am    

Very Happy Dustin the truth will set you free they say . Laughing

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 1:22 pm    

Man, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Now I don't get RFD-TV - I live in-town and our cable doesn't have it. But I hear and watch Marty's show on this site - http://www.ihigh.com/themartystuartshow/videobrowse.html?schoolid=32823 - or on this youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/themartystuartshow - and I just don't hear any lack of steel guitar in shows/clips where I'd expect plenty. For example, how about these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YivTSLdYt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHaUrpEvO4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ugXau-W1Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMCidDjbkcg

I know this is from a year or two ago, but it's Gary just nailing a great version of Crackerjack with Willie Cantu on drums - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1FHhBYVjbw

Now I know that not every song on this show is always dripping steel guitar. But I think it is unreasonable to expect that. This was never true, even in the heyday of classic country radio. For example, lots of original Merle Haggard hits didn't have steel on them at all, and that goes for many other performers. When Merle came on this show last, steel was not dominant, in fact it was missing on at least some tunes (e.g., Working Man Blues). The greatness of a country song or performance is not dictated by how much the steel guitar is featured.

Another thing is that Marty is more than classic country music. He's always been all about all styles of roots Americana - bluegrass, blues, old-school rock and roll, soul and R&B, as well as classic country, and his list of guests reflects that. Look at this episode list from tv.com - http://www.tv.com/shows/the-marty-stuart-show/episodes/ - look at the diversity of styles just the first 6 months of this year:

Code:

Roger McGuinn II
      Episode 25
      6/28/14

Brandy Clark II
      Episode 24
      6/21/14

Vince Gill II
      Episode 23
      6/14/14

Bobby Braddock
      Episode 22
      6/7/14

Jessie McReynolds
      Episode 21
      5/31/14

Charley Pride IV
      Episode 20
      5/24/14

Hank III
      Episode 19
      5/17/14

Sam Moore
      Episode 18
      5/10/14

Darrell Scott
      Episode 17
      5/3/14

Crystal Gayle
      Episode 16
      4/26/14

Jim Glaser
      Episode 15
      4/19/14

Lorrie Morgan (next week)
      Episode 14
      4/12/14

The Gatlin Brothers (last week)
      Episode 13
      4/5/14

The Cast IV
      Episode 12
      3/29/14

Bela Fleck
      Episode 11
      3/22/14

Martina McBride
      Episode 10
      3/15/14

Leon Russell
      Episode 9
      3/8/14

Norman Hamlet
      Episode 8
      3/1/14

The Cast & More II
      Episode 7
      2/22/14

Sturgill Simpson
      Episode 6
      2/15/14

Pokey LaFarge
      Episode 5
      2/8/14

Melba Montgomery
      Episode 4
      2/1/14

The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band VI
      Episode 3
      1/25/14

Stonewall Jackson III
      Episode 2
      1/18/14

The Cast & J.D. Crowe
      Episode 1
      1/11/14

The last 5 are The Gatlins, The Cast (each cast member features a tune), Bela Fleck, Martina McBride, and Leon Russell. Except for Martina, not exactly a classic-country love-fest dripping with steel. But the week previously, he featured Norm Hamlet. Marty has never slighted steel guitar, but on his show, there are generally 3 lead instruments, and stuff gets divvied up. IMHO, that is the way it should be.

Marty is what he has always been - a loyal purveyor of lots of different styles of roots Americana music. That has never been any different, and I don't see anything to indicate that it has changed now.

I think you should also consider the possibility that some feeds of the show are missing something (like the steel-dominant channel?) or mixed differently, as has already been alluded to. Or perhaps if a TV is an old mono example, it only gets one channel.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 2:44 pm    

I have to agree with you Dave about maybe being different mixes. No telling what sound goes thru before gets to your tv. I saw that show where Gary played Apple Jack and couldn't hardly hear what he was doing. Your video link you posted, the steel was clear as a bell. Thanks for posting those.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 3:50 pm    

Oh Well Well i'm thinking this post has ran it's course . I know i'm done with it .

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 6:28 pm    

Gary Preston wrote:
Oh Well Well i'm thinking this post has ran it's course . I know i'm done with it .

Good for you....

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 8:54 am    

Gary Carter had a good laugh with it. Tune in Saturday and he will turn it up a notch. LaughingI get mad when the drown out the guy with the banger. Wink Winking

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:07 am    

Get Rid of the sound man, and let Gary Carter do the sound too. I'm sure you'll here the steel then!
Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:41 am    

i like marty stweart.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 7:04 am    

The guy with the banjo steals the show. Wink

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 9:06 am    

As another forum member says, paddle fast, I hear a banjo. LOL Smile

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 9:52 am    

I've brought this up in other threads and it bears repeating. Earlier in this thread a poster noted that the same episode sounds different when broadcast on another channel.

We have these periodic threads lamenting the volume of the steel on a television show and we somehow have superior knowledge as to what's going in the TV studio and would never hire that sound man in a million years, etc.

So I asked Jerry Douglas about this after a concert one time. I was commenting that in watching Alison Krauss & Union Station in a national broadcast that the sound of his dobro coming through was lacking. Going back to the '80s, Douglas has been on TV a lot.

He told me that how the sound is mixed during the broadcast and what one receives via the "feed" in different parts of the country can vary greatly.

In other words, you could be sitting in the studio audience and the sound of the dobro, or in Gary Carter's case the pedal steel, might sound fine coming through the mains, but what you get on your TV speakers in different parts of the country might be something else again.

So I guess the moral of the story is blame the television feed, don't hang the soundman until you have actual proof that he's screwing up.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 22 Apr 2014 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 10:06 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Man, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Now I don't get RFD-TV - I live in-town and our cable doesn't have it. But I hear and watch Marty's show on this site - http://www.ihigh.com/themartystuartshow/videobrowse.html?schoolid=32823 - or on this youtube channel -

Dave, I don't get RFD-TV either - thanks for this link - I could watch it all day, but I wouldn't get any work done!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 1:30 pm    

Mark, what you said about the mix is absolutely correct. I did a project here in town and the final mix was good I thought. It got some airplay at a local station and when I heard it, I thought, what did they do to steel and fiddle. They were so low in the mix it was hard to hear. I ask the DJ that played it and he it was the final mix, they did nothing to the sound except for that radio compression they use. It almost wiped out the steel and fiddle did nothing to guitar and piano. That's a mystery to me.

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 1:33 pm    

right on gary...................

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 3:11 pm    

I hear Gary Carter's steel just fine here in Tulsa. But like others have mentioned, the feed can totally screw with the signal, or your tv set may have defaulted to mono if a storm knocked out the power. I remember buying a DVD of Dwight Yoakam's Austin City Limits performance and being completely bummed that Scot Joss' fiddle was almost completely mute. A couple years later we moved and I had to reprogram the TV. I put in that DVD again to learn some guitar parts and the fiddle was right there front and center in the mix like it was supposed to be. The tv was in stereo this time.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 3:55 pm    

I personaly like the show but not everything on it.
Marty does try to include every style. Yes, we all could do without the banjo man but their are lots of them and they like and surport the show just like us steel players. As for the sound I have had Direct-TV for years and have always found they have bad sound at times. This show at times has the worst sound you could ever have. Most times your TV volume will be at about 20 but when RFD-TV comes on you will have to go to 40. That says they have a transmitting promblem. This is a RFD-TV Transmitting promblem, not Direct-TV. Yes, With sound bars and sound systems you can hear all very well, at least I do.
Sometimes Gary's steel puts shivers up my back. I think that the mix is good most of the time. Yes, Marty and Kenny's licks are out front, but it is his show. But also when it is time, Gary's licks are out front. I know you will say that I have this hi-dollar TV and it should give me all the sound I need.
Most only have 2 inch speakers at best. I suggest that everyone that wants to hear any music good invest in at least a Sound Bar. Thanks, JR

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 4:08 pm     Stereo = potential problems

Daniel, you may be on to something.
One of the things I learned years ago while working at an FM station. If a stereo song, or program is out of phase, it may not be noticed on the control room monitors, BUT. . . play it through a mono system and much of the signal is cancelled out.

A while back, I posted links to some Texas Troubadour songs without Ernest Tubb's voice. Reversing the phase on one channel and listening to the playback in mono is how the vocal was eliminated. This only works when the original material is in stereo, and of equal level on each channel. (ET's mic.)

Though I'm sure it's not done intentionally, this may be what's happening to Gary's wonderful playing.

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2014 6:46 pm    

Hi Craig, you had explained how you did that for me once, and I did not comprehend fully until just now. I'm a little slow! That's a great little tip I'm going to file away for the future. So many good steel parts are covered up by vocals, which are naturally the focus of the thing, but still, we have specialized intent and needs!
All the best,
Dan

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 4:47 am    

My problem with everyone blaming Rfd TV, My TV or the fact that I am on Dish Network. It is the same connections for Tru Country and all the other Rfd shows I see and hear on Dish. I've never had a problem with any sound on any of the other shows.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 5:31 am    

I don't see too many shows where the steel guitar player is provided a full instrumental showcasing his/her talents. I think that Gary Carter, Norm Hamlet, and Kayton Roberts among others, have felt genuinely well treated and respected on the Marty Stuart Show. Marty's show provides lots of room to fiddle, banjo, even drummers. Willy Cantu was a featured guest! I am grateful that Mr. Stuart and the producers are able to provide not only an entertaining and musically rich show, but are also able to express their faith and personal convictions in a time where corporate homogenization continues to marginalize spiritual pursuit and personal strength in our culture.

God Bless Gary Carter, and the rest of the Marty Stuart Show ensemble.

-Dan

PS, to Marty's credit, he does admit to getting in GC's way here:lol: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1D5khp0Yxw

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 5:56 am    

Wow, I must have missed that show what a great smooth job.