The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  unwanted sitar sound (5th string-E9)
Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 1:12 pm    

I just put new strings on both necks of my LeGrande II and have been busting my ass trying to learn some new stuff from JN's WW series.... great stuff.

Today I notice that my (E9) 5th string sounds like I'm using a sitar bar. I saw a thread about this problem a while back and did a search but found no info except that the fellow soon broke his string.

Is this a common problem, easy to fix?

Just change the string? Hate to waste strings.

Regards,
HH

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 1:20 pm    

Look to see if you have a piece of lint under an end. Loosen the string and turn the nut roller 1/2 a turn. Check for a burr on the changer finger too.

If it's the nut roller, sometimes a drop of oil will fill the gap and stop it from vibrating.

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 3:28 pm    

Yes. It's just a bad string. This was a problem for me on my 1st string. So it was either change guitars or change pickups. Not wanting to do either, I changed gauges from a .12 to a .14 and that solved my sitar problem. The fifth string would be different though.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 3:47 pm    

Bad string. ------bb

Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 12:41 am    

It must be a bad string. The guitar never did it before. Bridge and nut look clean.

Jim, you are saying to put a drop of "3 in 1 oil" between the rollers... right? You don't want the oil on the string, right?

Will cut loose with a few cents and replace string, but will want to try oil if problem persists.

Switched back tonight to my laquer body LeGrande III (also with new strings on both necks). Amazed at how much warmer a sound it has. Still..... my black mica LeGrande II is a good sounding guitar.

Between those two Emmon's and my SD-10 C6 Fessenden, I'm one lucky guy.
Finally getting my stereo rack system going full steam this coming week.

I need a single 15" cabinet to put with my Webb head and Fessenden in my living room setup. My two Emmons are all I can fit in my studio.

Regards from steel guitar paradise,
HH

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 8:29 am    

Jim gives great advice on this situation, if it is "NOT" a bad string.
The Top of your changer finger can develope a small rut over time and this will cause a zinging/buzz sound.(so smooth it up with some scotch brite and polish with mothers or simichrome.
Also over time; the rollers can cause a gap where they sit; and will cause a zinging/buzz sound...and the drop of 3&1 oil right on top of the string(it will leak down on either side of string>no prob either way)...will> like Jim said > fill the gap and you'll be home free.
....and of course if there is any fiber/lint from a rag or whatever..under any part of the string that makes contact;...that will cause a zing too....ha....
Also if any string sounds zingy at all...do the drop of 3&1 oil on the roller...and it will go away for the life of that string.
Hope it works out for ya Harry.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 21 September 2002 at 09:32 AM.]

Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:56 am    

All advice above is good. Here is something that I learned about the 5th strings.
After approx 15 playing hours the 5th 17ga will develope this sitar sound just prior to breaking (18ga will go approx 16hrs) This is evident with all brands, the times may vary slightly. The sitar sound will occur when the metal developes a fault due to metal fatigue.After replacing one with this sound ,grip the replaced string about 1in. from the ball end and you can break it with one finger!
Many players are aware of this and will change this string prior to it breaking while on stage,studio players change strings often enough that this will seldom occur for them.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:22 pm    

Lynn, I'm with you on this one, I always know when my D note is going to break, sitar sound comes to it,

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:38 pm    

Quote:
unwanted sitar sound

I hate to belabor the obvious but doesn't that seem redundant?