The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Name the players Jeffran College 1982
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 11:30 pm    

Steve I think your right, Tim Lusby, if I recall he showed up in white Trans-Am - and had a broad southern accent which I could hardly decypher hehe ....

And here is a pic of Steve in the Telonics room playing his Ritt ..

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 8:46 pm    

There was a guy from Canada there too, although his name escapes me after all these years ....any clues anyone ????

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 4:51 pm    

Bump

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 7 May 2014 3:50 pm    

another bump

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 5:06 am    

Bottom row, 2nd from left, blue/white checked shirt - that's me.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 5:18 am    

Jody Cameron wrote:
Bottom row, 2nd from left, blue/white checked shirt - that's me.

I would have never guessed Smile btw, this photo is from one of my fav clips

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 5:27 am    

Ha! Thanks Rick...I've changed a bit. Turned 50 yrs old this year. Dang, time flies...

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 14 May 2014 2:15 pm    

Wow Jody thats cool mate - seems there was some heavy hitters in that class just waiting to blossom :-}
We can all thank Jeff for setting us on the right path hehe ..... hope to catch up in Dallas next year if your not touring.

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 26 May 2014 8:59 pm    

TTT

Jerry Cobetto

Glen Carbon, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 6:40 pm    

That's me, second from the left, in the rear. With the Hawaiian shirt on. It was July 1982.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 9:50 am    

Joe Wright second from the left, top row?

Jerry Cobetto

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 6:46 pm    

Uh, Chris Templeton, that's me (Jerry Cobetto) second from the left, in the top row. Not Joe Wright! Although, I DO wish that I possessed his steel playing prowess. LOL!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 9:32 pm    

Right On, Jerry! Thanks for chiming in on this thread! I remember you from that week. I think you sat-in with the band at the club Jeff took us to one night. Glad so many of us are still playing!
Pete

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 4:21 am    

Jerry C., rumor has it you do! :0)

Jerry Cobetto

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2021 2:01 pm    

So, this is what I originally posted on Facebook about that pic four years ago, in 2017 (see below). I actually DO remember a lot about that week even though it was almost 40 years ago! "Ouch!" LOL! I have one of those freakish memories where I can remember a lot of events, like that one, what year/time-period it was, certain events that took place, trivial stuff that took place, etc. Do you guys remember the one evening that Jeff got some of his musician buddies to play for us, you know, to break the ice? Besides Jeff on steel, Marvin Lanier was on guitar (a really good player - used to play for Don Gibson), Bob Browning played rhythm guitar and mainly did vocals. I can't remember who the bass player was (maybe the same guy who played for Emmons: David Smith) but I sure DO remember who the drummer was that evening! Does the name D.J. Fontana ring a bell? I recognized him right away, and knew that in later years he was doing sessions in Nashville. D.J. was Elvis'original drummer, who toured with Elvis, Scotty and Bill back in the '50s! I thought, for sure, that he would've been mobbed by a lot of the attendees that evening just because of his association with Elvis. As luck would have it, for ME, he was NOT! I don't think that anyone besides me really knew who he was. So, I just HAD to introduce myself to him, and told him that I recognized him right off. I think he was impressed by that. He was cordial, and boy did he have some stories to tell about his early years with Elvis! Score!!! Anyway, sorry to ramble on too much here but the following was what I posted back in 2017 about the Jeffran College pic from July '82:

Well, here's something for throwback Thursday. This pic was taken in July 1982, and was shared to me by my buddy Paddy Long from New Zealand (kneeling in the second row, far right in the blue shirt). This was at Jeffran College, outside of Nashville, TN. This was, at least then, the only steel guitar college in the U.S., if not in the world. It was where steel players like me (some professional) would go for one week to hone their playing skills. That certain class was one of the advanced classes. Anyway, Paddy went on, no more than a year later, to play for a top-rated country variety show in NZ called "That's Country." In case no one has figured it out yet, I'm standing in back, second from the left, in the Hawaiian shirt. The young man, two over from my left, in the blue shirt, is Steve Palousek, from Texas. He was only 16 then. In later years, he went on to perform with for one of his heroes, country great Ray Price. Another individual in the group that I HAVE TO mention is Mike Daily (with the Nike shirt), more affectionately known as "D." During my week down there I struck up a friendship with "D." One evening, he and I were relaxing at a bar, and having a few drinks. We discussed what bands we we're playing in then. I told "D" that I was working with a local country/rock group then called Blue Ridge. He went on to say that he was working on the road with a singer from down his way in Texas. He asked me: "maybe you've heard of him? His name is George Strait." Wow! Can you imagine?!? I said "yes, I've definitely heard of him!" Strait was just coming on to the scene then, and he had recently released his first album (I believe) not long before then. "D"was (and STILL IS) a super nice guy! Small world, isn't it! Sorry for the lengthy text!

OH, and yes, Pete Burak, I was one of those who was brave enough (or stupid enough - LOL!) to sit in with that country group and play some steel that one night. They were really good! Paddy did, I think, before me. A fun night!