The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickin away
Alan Hunt

Williams Lake, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2002 11:27 am    

Hello Steel Players,

I haven't checked in on the forum in awhile, but I have been working on playing my 11 string ZB steel. Thought about selling it, but the darn thing sounds so good tone wise that I've decided to keep it. It is limited with only two knee levers, but thats enough for now. It has the sweetest sound in my opinion. It was quite a thrill to actually make a tune happen with some rhythm to play to. Ive received some excellent help from Randy Pokeda who lives in my town. Thanks to those on the forum who encouraged me. I have a long ways to go, but it's fun....

cheers...
Alan Hunt Wms Lk B.C. Canada

------------------

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2002 7:39 pm    

It's supposed to be fun! The thrill of making music on one of these never goes away as long as you're having fun. It's great that you have someone to help you in your area, because good help is hard to find! Keep it up!

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2002 8:40 pm    

Alan, hang onto that ZB! My second pedal steel was a beautiful ZB D-10, and although it wasn't the best mechanical design ever to grace a pedal steel, it sure was the prettiest sounding and looking. It was one sweet steel, I'd trade almost anything I own to get it back.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 6:44 am    

Alan,
You have excellent taste.
The two brands that always seem to catch my ear are the Emmons push-pull and ZB guitars from the late 60s and 70s. I listen to stuff that Brumley, Al Perkins, Rusty Young (pre-Sho-Bud) and others played during that period and realize that the tone was/is what I look for in a pedal steel sound. You've got the killer guitar, now all you gotta do is HAVE FUN WITH IT.

Check out Billy Knowles' ZB Repair page

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Earl Yarbro

Bowie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 9:00 am    

I started with a ZB, Alan, then got a Zum. I was planning on selling the ZB, but sat down and played it the other day and decided to keep it. Before I got the zum I was planning on trying to raise the E's and a couple of other changes, but you know, I'll probably just leaveit as is, there are other ways to skin a cat. And as others have testified here, that tone cannot be out done, IMHO. I like my Zum since I put a Bill Laurance 910 pickup, which makes it sound more like my ZB. I'm hangin on to mine. Good luck.........Earl

Alan Hunt

Williams Lake, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 11:23 am    

Thanks to those who commented on my latest posting, very interesting remarks and makes one not feel too bad owning a ZB. Any quick suggestions on how to avoid breaking the third and fifth string when changing them? Also wondering best suited lubrican for pedal mechanism....tnx

Alan

------------------